DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hercules Gap Bed Lathe info wanted (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/110593-hercules-gap-bed-lathe-info-wanted.html)

[email protected] June 22nd 05 09:00 PM

Hercules Gap Bed Lathe info wanted

Its 14 x 40 MDL 105/12 at an auction 4 hours from here out in the
middle of nowhere. Nobody around here has ever heard of this brand.
Anyone with any experience with them? We're wanting it for turning the
OD on rifle barrels(modifying the shape not making barrels) and various
odd jobs around the shop.
Ken

Tom Miller June 23rd 05 12:52 AM

Are you sure it isn't "Hercus" rather than Hercules? They made Hercus lathes
in Australia up until about 10 or 15 years ago. I think you can still buy
them but they've been made in Taiwan for a long time now.

Tom

oups.com...

[email protected] June 23rd 05 05:08 PM

I am only sure that they spelled it "Hercules". would you know if they
are metric being some Aussi brand?

geoff m June 23rd 05 09:58 PM

On 23 Jun 2005 09:08:02 -0700, wrote:

I am only sure that they spelled it "Hercules". would you know if they
are metric being some Aussi brand?

There was a brand of blacksmith's power hammers called "Hercules".
Some of the Hurcus lathes were metric, some were imperial. It was the
alter ones that were metric. Have a look on
www.lathes.co.uk
Geoff

Richard W. June 24th 05 05:19 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Its 14 x 40 MDL 105/12 at an auction 4 hours from here out in the
middle of nowhere. Nobody around here has ever heard of this brand.
Anyone with any experience with them? We're wanting it for turning the
OD on rifle barrels(modifying the shape not making barrels) and various
odd jobs around the shop.
Ken

Yes, I have used one. Nice machine. The one I ran was new in 69 or 70. I
wouldn't be hesitate to buy it, if it was in good shape.

This Webb by Takisawa looks just like the Hercules lathe I ran, only it had
48" centers.

This Hercules lathe is larger, but looks about the same as the 14" lathe.

Some Ebay auction connect Sharp brand lathes to Takisawa.

Richard W.