Trevor Jones

Default Rockwell Delta Metal Lathe questions. It's for sale, too.

I picked up a 10"x 36" Rockwell Delta Metal lathe at a sale recently
and plan on reselling it. It appears to be in very good shape, with no
visible wear marks on the ways.

My first question. Did these lathes come with hardened ways? I have
looked at the lathes.co.uk webpage and there is no mention of the beds
being hard or not on the 10's. Either this one has a hard bed or it saw
very light use over the years.

Second question. Anybody ever see a conversion cross slide for a
Rockell Delta wood lathe for metalworking? Any idea what one might be
worth?
It looks to be the one shown here
http://www.lathes.co.uk/delta/index.html at the bottom of the page
(metal turning compound slide rest). I got this along with the metal
lathe, and it looks to me to be a pretty decent addition to a wood lathe
for someone that might want to make patterns or less freeform wood
turnings.

Any information is good!

The lathe is currently located outside Edmonton AB Canada, and will be
moved to Cold Lake just after the end of this month, if you are
interested. I currently only have access to my own email on weekends,
but have a webmail account that I try to check a couple times a week at
trevjinvk(at)yahoo.ca

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Grant Erwin

I looked a Rockwell 10" metal lathe over closely one time, as a potential buyer
for my own shop. I believe it had a small plate on the tailstock end of the ways
which stated the ways were flame hardened. - GWE

Mike Henry wrote:

The Rockwell 10" MW lathe was advertised as having a flame hardened bed in
one of Rockwell's old brochures. I'd think they'd be proud of that feature
and have labeled it thusly somewhere on the lathe, maybe on the name or
serial number plate.

You could always take a file to a section of the ways and see what that does
g.

Mike

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message

[...]

Steve Koschmann

HI Trevor:

I would offer 50 bucks for the conversion cross slide .... I acutally own
that lathe pictured ... I bought it about 10 years ago, from a really nice
widow. I rebuilt it -- de-reusted, new bearings, new tailstock ram, etc.
It came with a Rockwell lathe copy attachment and with the belt sander
(tilting table attachment).

I really do not need the cross slide as I have 3 metal lathes, but it would
be nice to "complete" the set of accessories for this vintage lathe...

Steve Koschmann

[...]

Trevor Jones

Trevor Jones wrote:

[...]

Thanks Guys! I apreciate the information given.

the wood lathe compound. I am interested in selling it, but I am
finding that I do not have the time to get it sorted out as I am trying
to get a move organized for the end of this month. Kinda like a soup
sandwich with double soup.I'm running everywhere!

Once I get organized at the other end, (Should be around mid July) I
will see about getting some photos of the unit into the dropbox and see
if those that expressed an interest are still interested.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Trevor Jones