DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Metric pitch for M8 cap screw (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/109975-metric-pitch-m8-cap-screw.html)

[email protected] June 14th 05 03:27 PM

Metric pitch for M8 cap screw

Want to replace the M8 cap screws that came with a chuck adapter with
self locking ones. Am I correct in assuming that more than likely the
pitch is 1.25mm? Have no means of measuring it.

Nick Müller June 14th 05 03:37 PM

wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that more than likely the pitch is 1.25mm?

At least that's the default.

Nick

--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Anthony June 14th 05 04:38 PM

wrote in news:1118759243.470945.256820
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Want to replace the M8 cap screws that came with a chuck adapter with
self locking ones. Am I correct in assuming that more than likely the
pitch is 1.25mm? Have no means of measuring it.

If it is standard, it will be M8x1.25. If it is fine thread, it will be
M8x1.0

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/

DeepDiver June 14th 05 07:53 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Want to replace the M8 cap screws that came with a chuck adapter with
self locking ones. Am I correct in assuming that more than likely the
pitch is 1.25mm? Have no means of measuring it.

If you have calipers or even a rule (they do not even have to have metric
scales), then you have the means of measuring it.

- Michael

[email protected] June 14th 05 07:59 PM

If it is standard, it will be M8x1.25. If it is fine thread, it will be
M8x1.0

What's more likely to be used for a chuck adapter, standard or fine?
Anyway, could only find M8X1.25 mm self locking cap screws so that's
what was bought. I'll return them if incorrect.

DoN. Nichols June 14th 05 08:13 PM

In article .com,
wrote:
Want to replace the M8 cap screws that came with a chuck adapter with
self locking ones. Am I correct in assuming that more than likely the
pitch is 1.25mm? Have no means of measuring it.

Assuming that you have no metric scales:

1) Pull two screws out.

2) Hold one at right angles to the other.

3) Count the number of threads in the length covered by the
diameter of the second screw. This will give you an 8mm
reference length. (Don't count the last thread crest if it lines
up with the diameter -- that will give you a number one too
high.)

4) If you count 8 threads, it is M8x1.0

If you count about 6.4 threads, it is M8x1.25

An alternative is to use a scale at 5/16" (which is *very* close to 8 mm.
(precisely 7.9375 mm), and count as above.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Gunner June 15th 05 07:06 AM

On 14 Jun 2005 15:13:39 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
Want to replace the M8 cap screws that came with a chuck adapter with
self locking ones. Am I correct in assuming that more than likely the
pitch is 1.25mm? Have no means of measuring it.

Assuming that you have no metric scales:

1) Pull two screws out.

2) Hold one at right angles to the other.

3) Count the number of threads in the length covered by the
diameter of the second screw. This will give you an 8mm
reference length. (Don't count the last thread crest if it lines
up with the diameter -- that will give you a number one too
high.)

4) If you count 8 threads, it is M8x1.0

If you count about 6.4 threads, it is M8x1.25

An alternative is to use a scale at 5/16" (which is *very* close to 8 mm.
(precisely 7.9375 mm), and count as above.

Good Luck,
DoN.

The alternative is to go to your local Ace Hardware store, find the
asle with the metric fasteners, and try the nuts until one fits. Then
read the size off the box.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Erik June 15th 05 07:59 AM

In article .com,
wrote:

Want to replace the M8 cap screws that came with a chuck adapter with
self locking ones. Am I correct in assuming that more than likely the
pitch is 1.25mm? Have no means of measuring it.

Metric thread pitch gauges are cheap and easy to find now... Splurge,
grab yourself one. As more and more of the world is going metric, you'll
find use for it, and be glad you did.

Good Luck!

Erik

[email protected] June 15th 05 02:30 PM

3) Count the number of threads

Did that when I got home from work yesterday, about 14 threads for 17mm
threaded length (20mm screw). It's 1.25mm. Didn't want to wait another
day before ordering.

jim rozen June 15th 05 04:00 PM

In article , Gunner says...

The alternative is to go to your local Ace Hardware store, find the
asle with the metric fasteners, and try the nuts until one fits. Then
read the size off the box.

Hardware stores typically don't carry M8X1 pitch, so this will
probably be a good diagnostic, it will most likely be 1.25
pitch.

Jim

please reply to:

Joseph Gwinn June 16th 05 04:15 AM

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

The alternative is to go to your local Ace Hardware store, find the
asle with the metric fasteners, and try the nuts until one fits. Then
read the size off the box.

Hardware stores typically don't carry M8X1 pitch, so this will
probably be a good diagnostic, it will most likely be 1.25
pitch.

I was in Home Depot last night, looking for M8-1.25 hex nuts. They had
one package, and about ten packages of M8-1.0 hex nuts.

But things were a bit mixed up, and I had to go through all the M8-1.0
packages to find the one M8-1.25 package.

jim rozen June 16th 05 03:29 PM

In article , Joseph
Gwinn says...

I was in Home Depot last night, looking for M8-1.25 hex nuts. They had
one package, and about ten packages of M8-1.0 hex nuts.

Hmm. Another example of "conservation of bustedness."

I was trying to find one pitch stuff in our local stores, and
I guess they sent them all to yours. If you want any, our
HD has all the 1.25 pitch ones.

I'd been going to metric and multistandard to get all my metric
hardware and tooling lately.

Jim

please reply to: