DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Boring bars with zero degree lead angle? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/109903-boring-bars-zero-degree-lead-angle.html)

DeepDiver June 14th 05 12:27 AM

Boring bars with zero degree lead angle?

I've seen manufacturer's listings for boring bars with a zero degree lead
angle. I'm curious about the applications and set-up for such a tool. It
seems to me that if used to bore to an internal shoulder, the result would
be significant chatter. So what are the advantages of a zero degree lead
over, say, a boring bar with a five degree lead angle?

Regards,
Michael

williamhenry June 14th 05 01:00 AM

used for thru holes , less pressure on the nose of the tool , somewhat less
chatter at long overhangs

usually only seen on triangle positive inserts