DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Slotting speed (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/10980-re-slotting-speed.html)

Bob May August 8th 03 10:34 PM

Slotting speed

Speed of the cutter depends upon the material. Various materials have
different speeds that the teeth of a cutter should be going through the
metal and the cutter material also makes a difference. Just find the rate
and figure out the rpms from that.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.

jim rozen August 8th 03 10:37 PM

Slotting speed

In article , Steve Worcester says...

Any idea what speed I should run a 3" slotting saw at? It is a alternate
tooth with side cutting and clearance and I am going 3/16" deep (in multiple
passes)

What's the saw made of?
How wide is it?
What are you cutting?

Jim

please reply to:

Steve Worcester August 9th 03 12:51 AM

Slotting speed

What's the saw made of?
HSS
How wide is it?

3/16
What are you cutting?

S7 steel, slotting to 3/16" deep

--
Steve Worcester
www.turningwood.com

michael August 9th 03 08:41 AM

Slotting speed

Steve Worcester wrote:

What's the saw made of?

HSS
How wide is it?

3/16
What are you cutting?

S7 steel, slotting to 3/16" deep

--
Steve Worcester
www.turningwood.com
Better Woodturning through Technology
(And a hell of alotta practice)

Vertical or horizontal mill?
Make & model?
Arbor supported at both ends?
Coolant, oil, spray, brush, none?
Solid setup?
About 70 rpm, feed .002-.005 ipt, depending on horsepower and setup conditions.

3/16 stagger tooth, cutting 3/16 deep, correct?
@ 32 teeth &70 rpm 4.5-11 ipm.

Don't get greedy with rpm, don't be shy with feed, or too exuberant. But make
sure you pull a chip. Saws usually tend to run out and cut with a few teeth, if
you keep a load on them they will cut with more of them.

Enjoy yourself.

michael