Bob Itnyre

Default Chicago, Lane Tech, Museum of Science and Industry for Scott Logan

Hi Scott I guess I'm a lurker as I don't say much but I like to read
the info in rec.metalworking. Anyway, a few weeks ago I was in
Chicago, just visiting. Took my son who has never been there before.
I wanted him to see some of the wonderful things that I grew up with.
We visited Lane Tech, which I graduated from (June 1960) and went to
all of the major museums. (Sad, most of the machine shops that were
across from the lunch room, and elsewhere, were gone. Also the foundry
and forge shops are gone too. On cold winter days while waiting for
the bell to ring, after lunch, we'd stand by the open windows and
watch metal being poured) One of the museums was the Museum of
Science and Industry which I've loved since the late 1940's. Thirty
years since the last time I was there. While standing in line to go
into the coal mine, there sitting right next to me was something that
had a sheet of paper with a graph on it, and it was recording
something. The device had the label Logan Actuator on it. I assume
it is your product. Not sure what it does but I thought you'd be
interested. In the mine they show a safety lantern and demonstrate
what happens when you have a defective lantern. Seems to me when I
was a kid the boom was much louder than it was. Maybe the years or
maybe someone complained about the noise.

Talked with a gentleman there in the museum who said that they were
going to move the U-505 indoors because it was starting to suffer from
the weather. I remember when they brought it across Lake shore drive
and there were signs to the motorists to be careful of the Submarine
crossing.

Great City!!!
Bob
PLAlbrecht

We visited Lane Tech, which I graduated from (June 1960)

June '73 here.

My late next door neighbor here in California was '42.

It seems half my class is now in California in either computers or medicine.

(Sad, most of the machine shops that were across from the lunch room, and

elsewhere, were gone.

This happened within the last year or so. I tried to get a campaign going to
save the shops. No interest. The new principal (replacing Mr. Schlichting after
his retirement, he had been my computer science teacher back in '72-'73) didn't
answer my FedEx letter. He also didn't answer any phone inquiries on the topic
from another alumnus, a retired Air Force 4-star whom they've had speak at
homecoming etc.

Also the foundry

and forge shops are gone too.

On my last visit there, Mr. Schlichting let me take one of our old foundry
textbooks out of the storeroom, seeing as they weren't going to be using them
anymore anyway.

Foundry and machine shop were some of the most unlikely useful courses I ever
took, anywhere. They gave me an edge in college (masters degree, mechanical
engineering) and work, and I still use and build on the skills I learned there.
It's too bad the professional "educators" don't "get" it. But that's OK, we can
export all those jobs to the Third World. Wait, I know, we'll have teleteachers
based in India, leading our classes via cheap broadband connections and
webcams. Let's see how they like it...

Pete

jim rozen

In article , PLAlbrecht says...

Foundry and machine shop were some of the most unlikely useful courses I ever
took, anywhere. They gave me an edge in college (masters degree, mechanical
engineering) and work, and I still use and build on the skills I learned there.

Drafting and mechanical drawing. I've earned more money using those
skills I picked up in HS drafting class than I care to admit.

It's too bad the professional "educators" don't "get" it. But that's OK, we can
export all those jobs to the Third World. Wait, I know, we'll have teleteachers
based in India, leading our classes via cheap broadband connections and
webcams. Let's see how they like it...

We were talking about this at work recently. Consensus was, a) they
could teach this way, and b) by then nobody in the US could afford
to pay for the classes because they would all be out of work.

Jim

please reply to:

PLAlbrecht

and b) by then nobody in the US could afford
to pay for the classes because they would all be out of work.

Uh... don't we have that already? Lots of unemployed, lots of underemployed
college grads (don't ask in what) flipping burgers, none making significant
taxable income, and now, surprise, there's deficits everywhere...

Gee, does anybody see a connection? Anybody?

Pete
Steve Rayner

I volunteer in the public computer lab, at a community employment agency. We
run into this all the time! There are all kinds of university grads who have
to lower their sights, and work in minimum wage service sector jobs.
Tradesmen fare little better. There is one welding shop, that is just
ticking over, and a small aluminum boat factory (owned by my relatives).
Employment in the latter is seasonal. I am not in Victoria.

Steve Rayner.