Don Foreman

Default Redirecting exhaust on a riding mower

I recently replaced the engine on my ancient Snapper riding mower.
New engine works great except that the exhaust is on the front of the
engine. It has a deflector that spews it out to the right, cooking
my right leg and rising to roast my right arm on the shiftlever as
well.

I mangled some metal to redirect Mr Snapper's gas rearward.

Details and photos if you're interested at:

http://www.goldengate.net/~dforeman/snapper_exhaust/

Don Foreman

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 07:11:49 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:
I think it will, since the original muffler is zinc-plated.

I zincplate a lot of my small projects if they'll be used outdoors or
if there will be metal-to-metal contact that would knock paint off.

It's about as easy as painting. I use Caswell's stuff.

Hey Don,

Nice job. Very neat.

What do you do that causes you to have a bucket of zinc plating laying
about ready to use? I've never done any of that, so I just wondered.
Will it "stick" long in the heat?

Details and photos if you're interested at:

http://www.goldengate.net/~dforeman/snapper_exhaust/

andy asberry

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:36:24 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

I recently replaced the engine on my ancient Snapper riding mower.
New engine works great except that the exhaust is on the front of the
engine. It has a deflector that spews it out to the right, cooking
my right leg and rising to roast my right arm on the shiftlever as
well.

I mangled some metal to redirect Mr Snapper's gas rearward.

Details and photos if you're interested at:

http://www.goldengate.net/~dforeman/snapper_exhaust/

Very professional! This looks like one I had. 8 hp Tecumseh, single
blade deck that discharged between the rear tires. There was cover on
top of the deck you could open and see the blade going 'round. Not
very safe. They mow great.