DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Welding instructor story (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/109009-welding-instructor-story.html)

Clark Magnuson June 5th 05 04:13 AM

Welding instructor story

I was high on the scaffolding to the Kingdome ceiling, sitting in a
swinging coxswain's seat and stick welding, when a large piece of red
hot slag landed in my lap and burned a hole in my pants and started
burning hole on the end of my [penis]. I couldn't do anything but grit
my teeth or fall to my death. I got down as soon as I could and went to
the nurse, who put salve on it. I told her to rub some more of that on
there...

*According to my brother, who got a machinist and welding degree in
1979, Highline college had a welding instructor named Howard Bray, that
had constant command of the class with stories like this.

Grant Erwin June 5th 05 04:51 AM

Clark Magnuson wrote:

I was high on the scaffolding to the Kingdome ceiling, sitting in a
swinging coxswain's seat and stick welding, when a large piece of red
hot slag landed in my lap and burned a hole in my pants and started
burning hole on the end of my [penis]. I couldn't do anything but grit
my teeth or fall to my death. I got down as soon as I could and went to
the nurse, who put salve on it. I told her to rub some more of that on
there...

OK, I got one too. Back in the '70s when I was one of 20000 guys building guided
missile frigates at Todd Shipyards, I was working bent over in an engine room
and someone way up above me was cutting some steel and a big old ball of fiery
slag landed right in my plumber's crack and sat there sizzling while I leaped
around. It wound up being 3 little 3rd degree burns all in a most excruciatingly
embarrassing place. Worst thing was, every day I had to start my shift by going
to the dispensary, dropping trou and laying over a gurney while, you guessed it,
the female nurse had to change the dressing. Seemed to take *forever* to get
through that one.

Seeing as how the Kingdome got blown to Kingdome come a few years ago, Clark, I
figger your story's a little um overstated. Mine, however, is absolute truth.

GWE

jim rozen June 5th 05 04:26 PM

In article , Grant Erwin says...

missile frigates at Todd Shipyards, I was working bent over in an engine room
and someone way up above me was cutting some steel and a big old ball of fiery
slag landed right in my plumber's crack ...

Hmm. Don't go publicizing this story too much or OSHA is going to
invent a new form of Personal Protective Gear specifically aimed
at the 'ol plumber's crack....!

Hmm. Goggles? Helmet? High-temperature crack putty?

Jim

please reply to:

Anthony June 5th 05 06:04 PM

jim rozen wrote in
:

Hmm. Goggles? Helmet? High-temperature crack putty?

Well....the crack putty is a good idea....has several safety
possibilities:
a) keeps hot chips from metalworking machines from injuring a worker.
b) keeps molten metal from welding from injuring a worker
c) keeps noxious fumes from causing possible short and long-term health
deterioration of nearby workers
d) reduces a potentially explosive hazard in the presence of flames,
sparks or other ignition sources
e) reduces the need for hearing protection
f) protects nearby workers from shockwave hazards

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/

Grant Erwin June 5th 05 06:37 PM

Anthony wrote:
jim rozen wrote in
:

Hmm. Goggles? Helmet? High-temperature crack putty?

Well....the crack putty is a good idea....has several safety
possibilities:
a) keeps hot chips from metalworking machines from injuring a worker.
b) keeps molten metal from welding from injuring a worker
c) keeps noxious fumes from causing possible short and long-term health
deterioration of nearby workers
d) reduces a potentially explosive hazard in the presence of flames,
sparks or other ignition sources
e) reduces the need for hearing protection
f) protects nearby workers from shockwave hazards

And you can mold a nice handle in so when the time comes you can rip it right
out, thus removing you from the necessity of using your girlfriend's bikini wax ..

jeez, I wonder how far down this thread can go?

GWE

Mike Fields June 5th 05 07:47 PM

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Anthony wrote:
jim rozen wrote in
:

[...]

I think it is close to the "bottom" now ...

mikey

michael June 5th 05 08:17 PM

Anthony wrote:
jim rozen wrote in
:

Hmm. Goggles? Helmet? High-temperature crack putty?

Well....the crack putty is a good idea....has several safety
possibilities:
a) keeps hot chips from metalworking machines from injuring a worker.
b) keeps molten metal from welding from injuring a worker
c) keeps noxious fumes from causing possible short and long-term health
deterioration of nearby workers
d) reduces a potentially explosive hazard in the presence of flames,
sparks or other ignition sources
e) reduces the need for hearing protection
f) protects nearby workers from shockwave hazards

And also protects the wearer from potential retaliatory actions of said
nearby workers.

mj

Steve Walker June 5th 05 10:05 PM

Anthony wrote:
jim rozen wrote in
:

Hmm. Goggles? Helmet? High-temperature crack putty?

Well....the crack putty is a good idea....has several safety
possibilities:
a) keeps hot chips from metalworking machines from injuring a worker.
b) keeps molten metal from welding from injuring a worker
c) keeps noxious fumes from causing possible short and long-term health
deterioration of nearby workers
d) reduces a potentially explosive hazard in the presence of flames,
sparks or other ignition sources
e) reduces the need for hearing protection
f) protects nearby workers from shockwave hazards

Someone beat you to it. G

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=CrackSpackle

http://abacusplans.com/plans/ABA-PBC1.asp

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

jim rozen June 6th 05 02:59 AM

In article , Grant Erwin says...

jeez, I wonder how far down this thread can go?

This always happens at work too. All the other tables at coffee
time in the cafeteria are talking about Eigenvectors and carbon
nanotubes or wave functions or something boring like that.

Our table is always talking about projectile vomiting or
a backed-up toilet or something.

Jim

please reply to:

Pete Keillor June 6th 05 03:31 AM

On 5 Jun 2005 18:59:20 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Grant Erwin says...

jeez, I wonder how far down this thread can go?

This always happens at work too. All the other tables at coffee
time in the cafeteria are talking about Eigenvectors and carbon
nanotubes or wave functions or something boring like that.

Our table is always talking about projectile vomiting or
a backed-up toilet or something.

Jim

Watch those nanotubes. We just got notified at work that our outfit
put a moratorium on working with the critters due to safety reasons,
serious lung toxicity problems as I recall.

Pete Keillor

June 6th 05 05:31 PM

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

This always happens at work too. All the other tables at coffee
time in the cafeteria are talking about Eigenvectors and carbon
nanotubes or wave functions or something boring like that.

Our table is always talking about projectile vomiting or
a backed-up toilet or something.

I'm usually at the table that is discussing Eigenvectors of
projectile vomiting or wave functions of a backed-up toilet.

Jim Wygralak Public key at http://tinyurl.com/5dju3
OpenPGP (gpg) signed messages get a free ride past my spam filters.
Bumperstickers for your coffee cup: http://www.cupclings.com

Grant Erwin June 6th 05 05:49 PM

Skip the middleman - apply plumber's crack directly to wax ring! - GWE