Cuezilla

Default south bend 10L lathe

Looking at a south bend 10L on the stand with the drawers and curved
stand. I do cue work and I am always in the market for another lathe.
This one is good for me because of the big spindle bore. According to
South bend it was delivered in 1944. The guy wants $1000. for it. I
can't get my hand in my pocket for that much but would like to have
it. I know a lot of people like this lathe. If I can't get him down
should I consider giving him what he wants? It sounds high. Also what
are the chances I will come across another lathe like this, are they
common lathes? I am in Fort Lauderdale Fl. Anyone got anything for
sale in my area. I keep watching the paper but there are never any
lathes for sale in my area. Thank you.
Todd L

Cuezilla, I think the 10L would be a good lathe for cues. Just make sure
there is at least 32" between centers. That is, with a dead center in the
headstock and a live center in the tailstock. I bought a chinese import
claiming to be 36" between centers. It is but only when the headstock and
tailstock have nothing in them. Talk about a bunch of crap !! Also make sure
the carriage can travel at least 31". The price seems good if the lathe is
in good shape and has some tooling, chucks, centers, etc. Good Luck

Todd L-----browses around RSB too

"Cuezilla" wrote in message
om...
Looking at a south bend 10L on the stand with the drawers and curved
stand. I do cue work and I am always in the market for another lathe.
This one is good for me because of the big spindle bore. According to
South bend it was delivered in 1944. The guy wants $1000. for it. I
can't get my hand in my pocket for that much but would like to have
it. I know a lot of people like this lathe. If I can't get him down
should I consider giving him what he wants? It sounds high. Also what
are the chances I will come across another lathe like this, are they
common lathes? I am in Fort Lauderdale Fl. Anyone got anything for
sale in my area. I keep watching the paper but there are never any
lathes for sale in my area. Thank you.

Asp3211968

i might have something and i am in maimi call me(305)505-5985
ATP

Cuezilla wrote:
Looking at a south bend 10L on the stand with the drawers and curved
stand. I do cue work and I am always in the market for another lathe.
This one is good for me because of the big spindle bore. According to
South bend it was delivered in 1944. The guy wants $1000. for it. I
can't get my hand in my pocket for that much but would like to have
it. I know a lot of people like this lathe. If I can't get him down
should I consider giving him what he wants? It sounds high. Also what
are the chances I will come across another lathe like this, are they
common lathes? I am in Fort Lauderdale Fl. Anyone got anything for
sale in my area. I keep watching the paper but there are never any
lathes for sale in my area. Thank you.

Check out the southbendlathe group on Yahoo and search "South Bend" and
"Southbend" on ebay. I was quite surprised at how much some of the
accessories and options cost, particularly the taper attachment, if you need
that, so you may get the best deal by buying a lathe that includes most of
the stuff you want already.