ATP

Default Major Haul Today

Jon Elson wrote:
ATP wrote:

Helped clean out the basement of a dead wacky hobbyist today.
Hundreds of pounds of stainless hardware, bundles of drill rod,
bandsaw welding machine, milling vises, turning tools, impact
sockets, solid bar, flats, huge drills, taps, threaded rod, hubbell
twist-locks, clamps, Jacobs chucks- I think one was a 25N, etc.,
etc.. All free, the guys cleaning it out were doing it for the scrap
aluminum, copper and brass and just dumping the steel. I have at
least two tons total on the truck.

TWO TONS!!??!! Wow! That IS quite a haul!

Jon

My truck has a payload of over 7,000 pounds and it felt almost fully loaded.
A lot of the stainless stuff was small and not that useful, but there were
trays and trays of it. I met these guys at a scrap yard, just looking to
pick up some round stuff for my lathe, they invited me over to the house.
The deceased electrician/metalworker was a real nutcase- the place looked
like "Conspiracy Theory". He had a plumbing system rigged up that collected
and utilized rainwater. The entire house had no sheetrock, but was done up
with industrial wiring and remote controlled stuff. He had constructed out
of Al an automatic cat feeder. I'm told he lived alone and would not allow
anyone into the house. He used to work for a local utility and apparently
had access to a lot of metal, he was able to fashion shed doors out of 3/16"
aluminum.

Bob Swinney

Jim sez: "What was he feeding the cats to?"

Good shot, Jim - that'll open the forum up to the cat haters.

Bob Swinney

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , "ATP"

says...

The deceased electrician/metalworker was a real nutcase- the place looked
like "Conspiracy Theory". He had a plumbing system rigged up that

collected
and utilized rainwater. The entire house had no sheetrock, but was done

up
with industrial wiring and remote controlled stuff. He had constructed

out
of Al an automatic cat feeder. I'm told he lived alone and would not

allow
anyone into the house. He used to work for a local utility and apparently
had access to a lot of metal, he was able to fashion shed doors out of

3/16"
aluminum.

Depending on the local, a rainwater collection cistern might be
quite common.

Jim

please reply to:

john

Bob Swinney wrote:

Good observation Dave! Evidently the original poster was trying to impress
us with how smart he was by denigrating the efforts of a fellow machinist.
(term machinist used very loosely in the poster's case) Seems he was more
interested in bragging about the size of his truck (penile reference ?) than
of acquainting us with what he obtained from the collection of one poor
soul.

Bob Swinney
From: "ATP"

The deceased electrician/metalworker was a real nutcase-

That's no way to talk about your deceased benefactor. He may have been an
unusual man, but you are now in possession of a large amout of the tools

he
worked with. Better to say nothing but good things about him so that the

karma
vested in those tools doesn't turn against you. You could get hurt in a

shop
accident involving flying vises or something.

Just an observation.
Dave

History repeats itself.

John

ATP

Bob Swinney wrote:
Good observation Dave! Evidently the original poster was trying to
impress us with how smart he was by denigrating the efforts of a
fellow machinist. (term machinist used very loosely in the poster's
case) Seems he was more interested in bragging about the size of his
truck (penile reference ?) than of acquainting us with what he
obtained from the collection of one poor soul.

Bob Swinney

I would never describe myself as a machinist. I thought it was kind of sad
that this guy was evidently smart and had some skills, but ended up locking
himself in his house and living in a bizarre fashion. Of course I also
considered my collection of junk and what will happen to it when I die, but
that has been covered before and almost goes without saying. In any event,
his tools will be put to a better use than getting melted down.

From: "ATP"

The deceased electrician/metalworker was a real nutcase-

That's no way to talk about your deceased benefactor. He may have
been an unusual man, but you are now in possession of a large amout
of the tools he worked with. Better to say nothing but good things
about him so that the karma vested in those tools doesn't turn
against you. You could get hurt in a shop accident involving flying
vises or something.

Just an observation.
Dave

History repeats itself.

John

I know that, that was the scary part.

Carl Byrns

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:01:02 GMT, "Bob Swinney"
wrote:

W. C. Fields sez: "I do if they're cooked well." To which Susan Smith
might have added, "Be careful to use plenty of water".

Bob Swinney

Damn, that's cold.

-Carl, who has been on a winter child search. Not fun.
Gunner

On 31 Jul 2003 09:31:11 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , "Bob says...

Jim sez: "What was he feeding the cats to?"

Good shot, Jim - that'll open the forum up to the cat haters.

No no - Cat *lovers*!

W. C. Fields was asked 'do you like children?' To which he replied:

"I do if they're cooked well."

Jim

"Cat, the other white meat."

Gunner, with one in his lap as he types

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty
is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
-- Ben Franklin