Glenn Ashmore

Default Histroy channel machine tools

Heads up! Modern Marvels is doing machine tools tonight.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Eastburn

YEP - Watching - and thanks - into glue now!
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
JR North

YAWN.....just 'OK'. Mustn't muddle the brains of common
dolts with actual details.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Heads up! Modern Marvels is doing machine tools tonight.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Sunworshiper

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:10:43 -0700, JR North
wrote:

YAWN.....just 'OK'. Mustn't muddle the brains of common
dolts with actual details.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I caught one mistake. They said that boring cannons was used next to
make bigger pistons for the steam engine instead of bigger cylinders.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Heads up! Modern Marvels is doing machine tools tonight.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Stewart

wrote:

YAWN.....just 'OK'. Mustn't muddle the brains of common
dolts with actual details.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I caught one mistake. They said that boring cannons was used next to
make bigger pistons for the steam engine instead of bigger cylinders.

There were at least 2 more. I didn't catch that one. They
showed an animated graphics of a vertical mill while explaining
how a grinder worked. I can't remember the other one.

6e70

They talked about America manufacturing weapons for WWII and showed a
picture of soviet women making pp 40 submachineguns. History channel
has shallow magazine type coverage of many subjects and is full of
mistakes which tells me they are pumping out this programming without
consulting subject matter experts. They use the same footage of bombs
falling on an orchard for every WWII theater of war they discuss.
They had one episode on tales of the gun called "the Magnum" which was
an insult. It read like a bad 7th grade research paper. The shame is
that these are subjects which are of interest, for which the
information is available, and which deserve better treatment.
Paul
Loren Coe

In article , 6e70 wrote:
They talked about America manufacturing weapons for WWII and showed a
picture of soviet women making pp 40 submachineguns. History channel
has shallow magazine type coverage of many subjects and is full of
mistakes which tells me they are pumping out this programming without
consulting subject matter experts. They use the same footage of bombs
falling on an orchard for every WWII theater of war they discuss.
They had one episode on tales of the gun called "the Magnum" which was
an insult. It read like a bad 7th grade research paper. The shame is
that these are subjects which are of interest, for which the
information is available, and which deserve better treatment.
Paul

to me, Hist.ch. is like Consumer Reports, really lousy, but i still
need it, it's the only source for some information and you have to
take it all w/salt...., ymmv. --LOren

ATP

6e70 wrote:
They talked about America manufacturing weapons for WWII and showed a
picture of soviet women making pp 40 submachineguns. History channel
has shallow magazine type coverage of many subjects and is full of
mistakes which tells me they are pumping out this programming without
consulting subject matter experts. They use the same footage of bombs
falling on an orchard for every WWII theater of war they discuss.
They had one episode on tales of the gun called "the Magnum" which was
an insult. It read like a bad 7th grade research paper. The shame is
that these are subjects which are of interest, for which the
information is available, and which deserve better treatment.
Paul

I had a professor who specialized in science history, she wanted to shoot up
her TV when she saw one of the HC shows.

John Flanagan

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 06:47:12 GMT, "ATP"
wrote:

6e70 wrote:
They talked about America manufacturing weapons for WWII and showed a
picture of soviet women making pp 40 submachineguns. History channel
has shallow magazine type coverage of many subjects and is full of
mistakes which tells me they are pumping out this programming without
consulting subject matter experts. They use the same footage of bombs
falling on an orchard for every WWII theater of war they discuss.
They had one episode on tales of the gun called "the Magnum" which was
an insult. It read like a bad 7th grade research paper. The shame is
that these are subjects which are of interest, for which the
information is available, and which deserve better treatment.
Paul

I had a professor who specialized in science history, she wanted to shoot up
her TV when she saw one of the HC shows.

Overall it's still fun to watch. I make a game of it, catching the
mistakes. Last night they had a show about the Big Dig in Boston.
They said one of the river tunnel sections weighed 51,000 pounds. I
laughed, I think they meant 51,000 tons! Don't know how that one got
past the narrator.

But it really makes you wonder what is being said to you on subjects
that you don't know about........

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.