DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Moving A Large Bandsaw (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/10773-moving-large-bandsaw.html)

Too_Many_Tools July 30th 03 04:16 PM

Moving A Large Bandsaw

In the future, I will be needing to move a large 20" Rockwell bandsaw
cross country.

In the past, it was wheeled on to a small trailer and relocated
locally.

I would be interested in hearing of anyone's suggestions as to how to
prepare this saw for the cross country move. Assume that the saw is on
wheels and no forklift or lift is available.

If you have ever moved a large bandsaw, you soon realize that they are
very top heavy and are prone to tipping. Other than removing the table
to reduce weight and lower its center of gravity, there is little I
can think of to alter this problem. Building a dolly and laying the
saw on its side or side is one thought to reduce the center of gravity
but this seems to be alot of trouble.

I would also be interested in knowing how a bandsaw like this is
shipped? Is it shipped standing vertically or horizontal? I would
think vertically on a pallet.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Too_Many_Tools

Anonymous July 30th 03 07:46 PM

Moving A Large Bandsaw

I bought one of these saws (20" Walker Turner now Rockwell---No wheels) from a
guy in Arkansas a couple of years ago. He delivered it to me in Colorado on his
pickup truck. It was stood upright against the the front of the truck bed and
simply lashed down with several nylon straps to prevent movement/tipping. It
probably wouldn't hurt to fasten a couple of boards at the base of the saw to
prevent any sliding around on the truck bed. Only problem was scraping a few
bugs off the saw from where it protruded above the cab.

Good luck.
Best