Terry Thorne

Default Wire alloy?

I believe it's almost pure aluminum, nothing to help harden it..

tt

Stan Schaefer

"Tim Williams" wrote in message ...
Was melting down some #0 or so aluminum wire scraps yesterday, what exactly
is it? I cast a big long ingot of it and I can just about wrap the damn
thing around a tree it's so soft! :^)

I'm guessing something ductile, anything special to help with conductivity?

Tim

Pure aluminum, you can make your own alloys with it with a little
copper to add. A good use for short pieces of bare copper wire. See
some books on aluminum alloys if you want to do that. It doesn't take
much added copper to really change aluminum's physical properties.

Stan
Roy Hauer

x-"Tim Williams" wrote in message ...
x- Was melting down some #0 or so aluminum wire scraps yesterday, what exactly
x- is it? I cast a big long ingot of it and I can just about wrap the damn
x- thing around a tree it's so soft! :^)
x-
x- I'm guessing something ductile, anything special to help with conductivity?
x-
x- Tim

From what I have been told its esentially pure aluminum. Usually worth
the effort to reclaim if you don';t mind all the dross.

The power company here has a huge dumpster outside the one rural field
station about 8 miles from me, and the trucks oftem dump all kindsof
stuff in it. Its not unusual to find a couple of nice lengths of that
really heavy about 3/4-1" think stranded bare aluminum wire, 3 or 4
feet long as wellas lots of smaller pieces and occasionally those
compression connectors they use to join it together in overhead lines,
which is about 2" in diameter, and 24" long made of solid aluminum
except for the hole into which the wire is placed fro crimping.

Lots of porcelain insulators (great for electric fencing at corners
etc) and these long fiberglass rods about 5/8" diam and maybe 18 feet
long with forged galvanized eyes on the ends. Lengths of power poles
just right for fencing needs, and always a ton of guy wire and
anchors.
--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Tim Williams

"Roy Hauer" wrote in message
From what I have been told its esentially pure aluminum. Usually worth
the effort to reclaim if you don';t mind all the dross.

Actually what I melted had practically zero dross!
I stripped it before melting BTW. Nasty fumes that PVC makes..

The power company here has a huge dumpster...

Wish there were one around here. I'd be loaded in no time...

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"