Don Murray

Default California Holiday

Ian,

California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento is not miniature, but it
is worth seeing. It's the real thing, one of the best railroad museums
in the country. It's about 100 miles east on I80 across the Bay Bridge.
About 2 hours one way from San Francisco.

Don

"ian R. Weeks" wrote:

Dear All,
From Saturday for 2 weeks my family and I will be holidaying in
California. Starting in San Francisco and finishing in Los Angeles,with
several days in Carmel and Santa Barbara.Despite the kids having fixed
ideas on what they want to do I reckon I can possibly insist on a few
hours of what' Daddy wants to do'.Any suggestions as to minature Live
Steam I might be able to see.
Kind regards,
Ian
--
ian R. Weeks

Jim Stewart

Don Murray wrote:
Ian,

California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento is not miniature, but it
is worth seeing. It's the real thing, one of the best railroad museums
in the country. It's about 100 miles east on I80 across the Bay Bridge.
About 2 hours one way from San Francisco.

Don

If the wife and kids aren't interested, drop them off at Sutter's Fort
while you go see it.

Engineman1

In article , "ian R. Weeks"
writes:

From Saturday for 2 weeks my family and I will be holidaying in
California. Starting in San Francisco and finishing in Los Angeles,with
several days in Carmel and Santa Barbara.Despite the kids having fixed
ideas on what they want to do I reckon I can possibly insist on a few
hours of what' Daddy wants to do'.Any suggestions as to minature Live
Steam I might be able to see.

Go across the Bay to Berkely and in Tilden park atop a mountain you'll find
two live steam rairoads, one a 1/3 scale RR for tourists and another layout for
hobbyists with smaller steamers.
http://www.redwoodvalleyrailway.com/
Take highway 17 out of San Jose and in Los Gatos you will find The Billy Jones
Wildcat RR.
http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/los_gatos.../rr_sched.html
Go about 15 more miles on 17, turn off at Mt. Hermon Rd and go several miles to
Felton to Roaring Camp, which is a reincarnation of an old time logging camp
with the Dixiana, a Shay locomotive which you can ride.
http://www.roaringcamp.com
For more info try:
http://www.railroaddata.com/rrlinks/...ins/Railroads/

Engineman1
LBailey

If you're interested in ships and military history, the Hornet is being
restored at the Alameda Naval Air Station, and there are multiple ships to
see around Pier 39 in SFO including the Jeremiah O'Brien, a liberty ship and
the Pampanito, a WWII fleet submarine.

--
Larry Bailey
Illegitimi non carborundum

"ian R. Weeks" wrote in message
Dear All,
From Saturday for 2 weeks my family and I will be holidaying in
California. Starting in San Francisco and finishing in Los Angeles,with
several days in Carmel and Santa Barbara.Despite the kids having fixed
ideas on what they want to do I reckon I can possibly insist on a few
hours of what' Daddy wants to do'.Any suggestions as to minature Live
Steam I might be able to see.
Kind regards,
Ian
--
ian R. Weeks

Jon Anderson

Jim Stewart wrote:

If the wife and kids aren't interested, drop them off at Sutter's Fort
while you go see it.

Or just let them run loose in Old Town Sac. Plenty of touristy type
shops. There's a more general museum right next to the train museum too.

Jon

Leo Lichtman

Jim Stewart wrote: (clip) If the wife and kids aren't interested, drop them
off at Sutter's Fort while you go see it.
^^^^^^^^^^^
You will want to see Sutter's Fort yourself, but that's not a problem. If
they REALLY are bored with the railroad museum, it is located right on the
edge of Old Town, which is filled with charming little shops, antique
stores, and places to eat.

This is off topic from your request, but there is a group which meets in
Oakland (across the bay from SF) called
Bay Area Engine Modelers. They build and operate small engines--mostly
internal combustion, but also include some others. I don't remember whether
they deal with steam, but I remember one that ran by being placed on top of
a cup of coffee, and ran the opposite way when placed on a bowl of ice.

There used to be a group that had some tracks on the edge of Tilden Park, in
Berkeley, but I don't know whether they still exist.

Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:40:47 +0100, someone who calls themselves "ian
R. Weeks" wrote:

Dear All,
From Saturday for 2 weeks my family and I will be holidaying in
California. Starting in San Francisco and finishing in Los Angeles,with
several days in Carmel and Santa Barbara.Despite the kids having fixed
ideas on what they want to do I reckon I can possibly insist on a few
hours of what' Daddy wants to do'.Any suggestions as to minature Live
Steam I might be able to see.
Kind regards,
Ian

Miniature live steam would be at TravelTown in Griffith Park, Los
Angeles. http://www.cityofla.org/RAP/grifmet/tt/index.htm You can
take rides on scale live steamers even. http://www.lals.org/

If you want something a little bigger, go to Disneyland - the
Disneyland Railroad engines are narrow-gauge, oil fired. ;-) You can
even ask at the Main Street station to take a kid or two with you (as
a cover :-) and ride up front with the engineer & fireman. Engines #1
and #2 were scratch-built in 1954-55 by Walt Disney Imagineering at
the studio in Burbank, engines #3 and #4 are restored turn-of-last-
century Baldwins.
http://www.carolwood.com/

For full-size and operating trains and streetcars, Orange Empire
Railroad Museum in Perris - it's another hour and a half east, but
interesting. (Though they don't have any live steam stuff operable
right now, one engine is all torn down to do the boiler.)
http://www.oerm.org
(Note that they have a really good links page.)

Oh, and they just opened the Gold Line service! http://www.mta.net
We ripped out the Pacific Electric Red Cars, and 40 years later we're
putting it back together - often following the old right-of-ways.
(And of course, the NIMBY's are screaming about the horns and crossing
bells disturbing them...)

-- Bruce --
--
Bruce L. Bergman, POB 394, Woodland Hills CA 91365, USA
Electrician, Westend Electric (#726700) Agoura, CA

WARNING: UCE Spam E-mail is not welcome here. I report violators.
SpamBlock In Use - Remove the "Python" with a "net" to E-Mail.