DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Home brew frost proof outdoor shower (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/107360-home-brew-frost-proof-outdoor-shower.html)

[email protected] May 25th 05 08:55 PM

Home brew frost proof outdoor shower

Was looking for information on frost proof outdoor shower for lake
cabin. Found this retiree on Cape Cod with a simple little metalwork
modification to lawn hydrant (faucet) hardware. Seems to involve cast
iron drilling and tapping, but end result is a combination shower and
hot/cold water tap rig which automatically drains and will not burst in
cold weather.
http://www.geocities.com/dick_cryer/shower.html

Bob Engelhardt May 26th 05 04:59 PM

wrote:
Was looking for information on frost proof outdoor shower for lake
cabin. ....
http://www.geocities.com/dick_cryer/shower.html

What a kludge!! All that fastening and unfastening caps on the hose
connection. And overkill - you only need to drain the faucet once a
year when the season's over. And on the Cape you don't really need to
do that: I've lived in Carlisle, MA (which is colder than the Cape) for
32 years and I rarely drain the "sill cock". I haven't had any
freeze-ups yet.

What I would do is simply have a shut-off in the basement (wouldn't even
have to be stop-and-waste), outside a tee with the sill cock below it,
and piping up to the shower control.

X shower valve

--X-------------| tee
-X sill cock

In the fall close the inside valve and open the sill cock and shower
valves to drain. That's it! Jeez!

Bob

Bob Engelhardt May 26th 05 05:17 PM

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

...wou
What I would do is simply have a shut-off in the basement ...

Oh - maybe you don't have a basement? In that case, extend the handle
of the shut-off valve through the wall. Or, put the shut-off where you
can reach it. But don't hire a machinist to modify expensive
anti-freeze faucets and have to switch caps all the time.

Bob

Errol Groff May 27th 05 02:36 AM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 12:17:13 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

...wou
What I would do is simply have a shut-off in the basement ...

Oh - maybe you don't have a basement? In that case, extend the handle
of the shut-off valve through the wall. Or, put the shut-off where you
can reach it. But don't hire a machinist to modify expensive
anti-freeze faucets and have to switch caps all the time.

Bob

Geez Louise Bob. Give the guy a break. What fun would a project be
without grossly over engineering it?

Errol Groff

Nick Müller May 27th 05 07:19 PM

wrote:

SPAM, nothing else.
A babel-fished translation in German NGs was at least good for laughin.

Nick
--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."