Grant Erwin

Default mystery tool

This is another one from my neighbor's basement. It looks pretty much like
a screwdriver, except the shank is tubular, about 3/8" OD, with a quick
disconnect chuck on the end. The end of the handle screws off to reveal a
bunch of bits. These are not screwdriver bits. They are like drill bits but
they aren't twist drills. From the end they look quite a bit like a twist
drill but only the end has helical relief. On the sides are two straight
flutes, no spiral at all. The tool is self-twisting, i.e. when you push it
into the work it twists. The only lettering says "YANKEE".

Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft uses it? The bit sizes range
from about 1/16" to about 3/16".

GWE
Dave August

Grant,

I remember those from my childhood, my ole man had 3 in different sizes the
he got from HIS ole man. They called them "Yankee screwdrivers" (real
original name huh). There is a little sliding thingie that will make it
turn left or right or lock it. The ones my dad had came with several
different straight and philips bits and IIRC the bigger one did have a
couple of those drill bit like you've described. I don't think these were
for any special trade or craft, but was just the first 'automatic'
screwdriver invented. And I think my brother still has them.

A bit of googeling has turned up the fact that Stanley bought the name a
while ago and was makeing up until a few years ago. I imagine that all
battery powered screwdrivers and drills have made them pretty mush obsolite.

Thansk for bringing back some good old memories.

Dave

This is another one from my neighbor's basement. It looks pretty much like
a screwdriver, except the shank is tubular, about 3/8" OD, with a quick
disconnect chuck on the end. The end of the handle screws off to reveal a
bunch of bits. These are not screwdriver bits. They are like drill bits
but
they aren't twist drills. From the end they look quite a bit like a twist
drill but only the end has helical relief. On the sides are two straight
flutes, no spiral at all. The tool is self-twisting, i.e. when you push it
into the work it twists. The only lettering says "YANKEE".

Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft uses it? The bit sizes range
from about 1/16" to about 3/16".

GWE

Leo Lichtman

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft
uses it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. The answer is right on it. It's a Yankee screwdriver. If the toolset
in the handle were complete, it would include a couple of screwdriver bits,
along with the drill bits. It supposedly would be used by people in the
wood crafts, like carpenters and cabinet makers. I have seen them in
collections, tool sales and flea markets, but I have never known of one
actually being used. As a screwdriver it's not too good, because the bit
tends to slip out of the slot as it spins, and when it does, the rest of the
stroke drives it into the wood.

Grant, it sound like a "Push Drill" to me, particularly since the bits
have two straight flutes as was then the common design.

At a glance, the tool iself looks like the classic Yankee Screwdrive,
and employs a very similar rotation mechanism. I believe that Yankee
may have even manufactured push drills as well as screwdrivers. The
push drills were much faster to use than the conventional variety of
hand-cranked screw drivers that were still the major alternative.

Both of these tools pretty much vanished from the market after battery
operated drill/screwdrives made an appearance, but through the late
1950s both were found in most cabinet makers and carpenters tool boxes.

They were particularly popular with storm window and door contractors,
because they needed only one hand to operate, freeing the other to hold
the storm window or door fram in place.

Harry C.

Whoops... I posted:

"hand-cranked screw drivers"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What I meant to post was 'drills'.

Harry C.

Boris Beizer

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
The tool is self-twisting, i.e. when you push it
into the work it twists. The only lettering says "YANKEE".

Yu-up. It's a "Yankee-Handyman" screwdriver, sonny boy! If you have it
working right, there's a little slide gizmo. Slide it to one side it goes
clockwise, to the other side, counter-clockwise, and in the middle, it's a
regular screwdriver. I was delighted to get a repairable one a few month's
ago for about 25cents. Contrary to what some may believe, it is definitely
not obsolete. When you have some delicate stuff to do, such as putting a
screw through a glass mirror, I find that the Yankee is the tool of choice.
Much better feel than setting the clutch on my Makita. I've got the middle
size and will be on the lookout for the smallest and the largest. I like
the Yankee so much that I've adapted other shanked bits to its use.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com

Boris Beizer wrote:
I like the Yankee so much that I've adapted other shanked bits
to its use.

I have one in my camping gear. There's an easy modification
that really increases their adaptability: Take a magnetic
bit holder for an electric screwdriver, grind the shank round,
then grind in the step and retaining notch. Or it you wanted,
you could probably weld up something using a worn out Yankee
bit. This gives you access to all the modern interchangable
hex bits...

I still see them regularly at my favorite used tool store, and
the proprietor usually has a tray full of the bits on hand as
well.

You can help reduce the slipping problem by holding the collar
of the bit chuck (which rotates) tight against the screw while
you work the handle with your other hand.

--Glenn Lyford

Ed Huntress

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
This is another one from my neighbor's basement. It looks pretty much like
a screwdriver, except the shank is tubular, about 3/8" OD, with a quick
disconnect chuck on the end. The end of the handle screws off to reveal a
bunch of bits. These are not screwdriver bits. They are like drill bits

but
they aren't twist drills. From the end they look quite a bit like a twist
drill but only the end has helical relief. On the sides are two straight
flutes, no spiral at all. The tool is self-twisting, i.e. when you push it
into the work it twists. The only lettering says "YANKEE".

Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft uses it? The bit sizes range
from about 1/16" to about 3/16".

GWE

A Yankee push drill. I have two of them. They're great for things like
hanging Venetian blinds, drilling holes through 1/4" plywood for
boatbuilding, etc. I prefer them to electric thingies for lightweight jobs.

Of course, I also use my two Yankee screwdrivers, so maybe I'm just an
antiquarian at heart.

--
Ed Huntress

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

This is the push-drill, not the screwdriver. I have all three sizes of
the Yankee screwdrivers, plus a couple of the drills, all inherited.
There's some rather rare bits so you can use the push-drill as a
screwdriver, they're smaller shank-size than the regular Yankee bits.
I think it's McFeeley's that sells the 1/4" hex shank adapters for the
Yankee screwdrivers, apparently the Amish use them instead of anything
electric. The hex bits are certainly a lot cheaper than the real
Stanley bits. No battery to die mid-job, either.

The push-drill was used by a lot of different trades, my dad used one
for putting up electrical fixtures in the pre-portable tool era. It
was a lot faster than trying to use one of those old eggbeater-type
breast drills. Good for doing things like kitchen cabinet hinges, too.
The only downside is the special drills used, they're quite expensive
to replace although the local hardware store still carries them, along
with the Yankee screwdriver blades. For drilling pilot holes for
woodscrews, the push-drill is probably as fast as a cordless, if not
quite as effort-free.

Stan

~Roy~

Its not a Yankee screwdriver its a Push Drill made by Yankee..........
Works similar to the screwdriver but is designed for drill bits. How
many do you want, I probably have about 6 or so of em in the shop
drawer unused for many many years......most are still heavily chrome
plated on brass........ with a steel shank

On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:10:04 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

===This is another one from my neighbor's basement. It looks pretty much like
===a screwdriver, except the shank is tubular, about 3/8" OD, with a quick
===disconnect chuck on the end. The end of the handle screws off to reveal a
===bunch of bits. These are not screwdriver bits. They are like drill bits but
===they aren't twist drills. From the end they look quite a bit like a twist
===drill but only the end has helical relief. On the sides are two straight
===flutes, no spiral at all. The tool is self-twisting, i.e. when you push it
===into the work it twists. The only lettering says "YANKEE".
===
===Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft uses it? The bit sizes range
===from about 1/16" to about 3/16".
===
===GWE

Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin wrote:

This is another one from my neighbor's basement. It looks pretty much like
a screwdriver, except the shank is tubular, about 3/8" OD, with a quick
disconnect chuck on the end. The end of the handle screws off to reveal a
bunch of bits. These are not screwdriver bits. They are like drill bits but
they aren't twist drills. From the end they look quite a bit like a twist
drill but only the end has helical relief. On the sides are two straight
flutes, no spiral at all. The tool is self-twisting, i.e. when you push it
into the work it twists. The only lettering says "YANKEE".

Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft uses it? The bit sizes range
from about 1/16" to about 3/16".

GWE

It's a Yankee push drill, all right. I have one of their screwdrivers too,
this one is quite different. The screwdrivers have external visible helix
grooves, and the push drill doesn't.

GWE
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft
uses it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. The answer is right on it. It's a Yankee screwdriver. If the toolset
in the handle were complete, it would include a couple of screwdriver bits,
along with the drill bits. It supposedly would be used by people in the
wood crafts, like carpenters and cabinet makers. I have seen them in
collections, tool sales and flea markets, but I have never known of one
actually being used.

The first one that I saw was in about the second grade, in a
small town in South Texas (about 1948-1949). It was being used to
install a replacement mortice door latch assembly, and he used it both
to drill the pilot holes and to drive the screw. That was when I
decided that I wanted one.

I have a set now, *much* later, from an estate sale.

As a screwdriver it's not too good, because the bit
tends to slip out of the slot as it spins, and when it does, the rest of the
stroke drives it into the wood.

That depends on how you use it. The knurled collar which you
pull back to release the bit is free to turn on the shaft, so you can
hold the collar (near the screwdriver blade) to steady it. This makes
it a lot better than some of the electric screwdrivers in terms of
anti-gouge control.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
lionslair at consolidated dot net

Grant Erwin wrote:

This is another one from my neighbor's basement. It looks pretty much like
a screwdriver, except the shank is tubular, about 3/8" OD, with a quick
disconnect chuck on the end. The end of the handle screws off to reveal a
bunch of bits. These are not screwdriver bits. They are like drill bits but
they aren't twist drills. From the end they look quite a bit like a twist
drill but only the end has helical relief. On the sides are two straight
flutes, no spiral at all. The tool is self-twisting, i.e. when you push it
into the work it twists. The only lettering says "YANKEE".

Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft uses it? The bit sizes range
from about 1/16" to about 3/16".

GWE

That is a Yankee tool. It is a wood workers dream. The bits are put in the chuck
and a push on the handle - it moves toward the work and the double helix
drives the chuck (handle is in the hand right ) round and round. Drills nicely.
The drills are much like D drills but are really C type. Dad had or has one.

He had screw driver bits also. I bet he does in his fix it kit.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Daniel A. Mitchell

Ned Simmons wrote:

In article IP4je.229686$cg1.154270@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
says...

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft
uses it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. The answer is right on it. It's a Yankee screwdriver. If the toolset
in the handle were complete, it would include a couple of screwdriver bits,
along with the drill bits. It supposedly would be used by people in the
wood crafts, like carpenters and cabinet makers. I have seen them in
collections, tool sales and flea markets, but I have never known of one
actually being used. As a screwdriver it's not too good, because the bit
tends to slip out of the slot as it spins, and when it does, the rest of the
stroke drives it into the wood.

What Grant has is a Yankee push drill - the Yankee
screwdriver is a different tool. I have one of the larger
screwdrivers and use it quite a lot. As for slipping out of
the the screw head, it is more practical for use with
Philips head screws than slotted heads. Yankee is a Stanley
brand name.

http://www.epinions.com/Stanley_Yank...Woodworking_Pu
sh_Drill_Shop_Tools

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?
ItemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=103531

Ned Simmons

Yes, it's a DRILL, not a screwdriver. The mechanism was very similar.
The screwdrivers usually had an exposed helical scroll to do the
turning. The push-drills usually had a spring loaded sleeve covering the
scroll.

I have several of these tools. The newest dates from about 1960. One old
(1930's?) screwdriver is about 24" long when fully extended. The
push-drills I have are much smaller, only about a foot long. The
screwdrivers often included one or two drill bits, but not a lot of
sizes like the drills. Of the ones I have none of the screwdriver bits,
even their drill bits, will fit in the drill chucks. The drills seem to
mostly use a smaller chuck size than the screwdrivers. The bit mounting
mechanism was similar, with one end of the bit cut away to a "D" shape
for driving, and a half-round notch in the bit's shank for a ball detent
to 'grab' the bit and hold in in the chuck.

In addition to Phillips head-screw bits the screwdrivers also were
available with clutch-head bits. Both stay self centered in the
fastener. I suppose they'd work well with the square-drive screws also,
but I don't have any bits like those (probably too new).

I still find them handy to use, for wood work. They will drill into soft
metals, but with difficulty. They require a little practice to use well,
as you have to push STRAIGHT or you break the drills, or pop the
driver-bit out of the fastener. You never have to worry about where the
nearest electrical outlet is, or whether the battery is charged.

Dan Mitchell
============

John Martin

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

You've already figured out that this is a Yankee push drill, probably a
number 41. Used for woodworking jobs, such as drilling holes for small
hinges. They are handy, but the straight-fluted bits don't clear chips
as well as twist drills do.

The Yankee tools were originally made by North Brothers, of
Philadelphia. They were bought out by Stanley around 1950 or so. The
quality of the North Bros. stuff was very good. They made, in addition
to the push drills, spiral ratchet screwdrivers, eggbeater-type hand
drills, bit braces, ratchet screwdrivers, ratchet offset screwdrivers,
drill press vises and a host of other tools.

One of their most interesting tools, in my opinion, was the
eggbeater-style hand drill with five-way ratchet. Also available as a
breast drill. You still see them occasionally. The ratchet had five
positions: plain (no ratchet), right hand (which allowed you to drill
in cramped areas with only a partial sweep of the handle), left hand
(same thing but to the left, which I don't know the use of as we all
know that when backing a drill out you continue to turn in the same
direction), lock (which locked the spindle to make changing bits
easier) and, best of all, right hand double (which turns the drill in
the proper direction no matter which way you turn the crank).

John Martin

Jim McGill

Grant

Yankee screwdrivers were the prebattery equivalent of a screw gun. I've
got several sizes I've picked up over the years. They're still beloved
by wooden boat builders because you can't over torque screws and chew up
the wood, but they're a lot easier of the wrist than a regular
screwdriver. You can also use them underwater (try that with your
Makita!). There's a huge number of different bits that fit them, slot,
Allen, square, even 1/4" socket adapters. You can buy the bits at
Hardwick's if you want some. Next time I'm over, I'll bring along some
and you can try them out. Very handy tool, hold on to it.

Jim
Gunner

On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:22:32 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft
uses it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. The answer is right on it. It's a Yankee screwdriver. If the toolset
in the handle were complete, it would include a couple of screwdriver bits,
along with the drill bits. It supposedly would be used by people in the
wood crafts, like carpenters and cabinet makers. I have seen them in
collections, tool sales and flea markets, but I have never known of one
actually being used. As a screwdriver it's not too good, because the bit
tends to slip out of the slot as it spins, and when it does, the rest of the
stroke drives it into the wood.

I inherited several from my dad as well. One was a spring loaded drill
only, with bit storage in the handle. The other was screwdriver only.
The drill worked rather well on wood.

Never ever hold the work in your hand when using the screwdriver
one...you will leak all over the place and it really hurts...

Sigh..I learned that when I was 11.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Daniel A. Mitchell

John Martin wrote:

snip

One of their most interesting tools, in my opinion, was the
eggbeater-style hand drill with five-way ratchet. Also available as a
breast drill. You still see them occasionally. The ratchet had five
positions: plain (no ratchet), right hand (which allowed you to drill
in cramped areas with only a partial sweep of the handle), left hand
(same thing but to the left, which I don't know the use of as we all
know that when backing a drill out you continue to turn in the same
direction), lock (which locked the spindle to make changing bits
easier) and, best of all, right hand double (which turns the drill in
the proper direction no matter which way you turn the crank).

John Martin

Interesting. I have a large old hand cranked drill (a little smaller
than most breast drills) with a gear shift mechanism that allows two
speeds (or torques), and rotation in either direction, but no ratchet
action as you describe. There sure were a wide variety of hand tools
that you can't get new any longer. Some are truly obsolete today, but
others are still very usefull (like the push drills)... they've just
gone out of style.

Dan Mitchell
============
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on
Fri, 20 May 2005 16:14:57 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft
uses it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. The answer is right on it. It's a Yankee screwdriver. If the toolset
in the handle were complete, it would include a couple of screwdriver bits,
along with the drill bits. It supposedly would be used by people in the
wood crafts, like carpenters and cabinet makers. I have seen them in
collections, tool sales and flea markets, but I have never known of one
actually being used. As a screwdriver it's not too good, because the bit
tends to slip out of the slot as it spins, and when it does, the rest of the
stroke drives it into the wood.

I inherited several from my dad as well. One was a spring loaded drill
only, with bit storage in the handle. The other was screwdriver only.
The drill worked rather well on wood.

The original cordless portable drill (as opposed to the larger bit &
brace.)

Never ever hold the work in your hand when using the screwdriver
one...you will leak all over the place and it really hurts...

Sigh..I learned that when I was 11.

I see you got the point about safety.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
wooden tool handle finishing AArDvarK Woodworking 6 August 12th 04 01:15 PM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM