MichaelMandavil

Default Modest minilathe rodomontade

I was at Harbor Freight when they opened this morning, and the truck was
already there. Checking the brochure, I noticed that the lathe went on sale
this morning, so I gave out a whoop. Five minutes later, the box was up front,
and I was counting out the money. I was swaggering as I walked from my truck
to my upstairs bedroom, for the lathe weighs almost as much as I do, and I was
working without a hand truck. When I opened the box, I discovered that the
machine is red, which brought a smile to my face. According to the manual, the
lathe is supposed to come with a chuck key, which I discovered to be missing,
though I didn't concern myself about this too much, for I decided that I could
easily fabricate one out of some key metal. Also, as though to make up for
this, the package included an extra set of gears, which I decided was more than
an even trade. I am still setting the machine up, and am looking forward to
cutting a test bar, and facing off a plate. I guess I will be needing to get a
micrometer and a straight edge in the near future. I am a happy camper!

Michael

Michael Mandaville
Zack Lau

"MichaelMandavil" wrote in message
an even trade. I am still setting the machine up, and am looking forward

cutting a test bar, and facing off a plate. I guess I will be needing to

get a
micrometer and a straight edge in the near future. I am a happy camper!

Hi Michael,

A little lathe is a great tool--I use my little Sherlines a lot more
than the
Atlas TH48 in our machine shop--they are just the right size for most of my
projects.
I have a micrometer to measure to the nearest 0.0001 inches, but rarely use
it.
Instead, I normally grab a cheap dial caliper that measures to the nearest
0.001
inches. Not as accurate, but much easier to use.

Zack Lau W1VT

MichaelMandavil

From: "Zack Lau"

"MichaelMandavil" wrote

an even trade. I am still setting the machine up, and am looking forward

cutting a test bar, and facing off a plate. I guess I will be needing to

get a
micrometer and a straight edge in the near future. I am a happy camper!

Hi Michael,

A little lathe is a great tool--I use my little Sherlines a lot more
than the
Atlas TH48 in our machine shop--they are just the right size for most of my
projects.
I have a micrometer to measure to the nearest 0.0001 inches, but rarely use
it.
Instead, I normally grab a cheap dial caliper that measures to the nearest
0.001
inches. Not as accurate, but much easier to use.

Zack Lau W1VT

Hello, Zack,

Dave Gingery, in his book on how to build a metal working lathe, also suggests
using "a calipers and a feeler guage" to measure a test bar, if a micrometer is
not available. As you can probably imagine, since I have just bought my lathe,
my budget is a bit tight right now, so I think that I will just go for some
type of calipers myself at this time, and then get the micrometer later, after
my pocket book recovers.

Michael

Michael Mandaville
David Heidary

I get my HF mini lathe on saturday and I'm still in the cleaning
phase. I took everything apart except for the headstock. I was
surprised at the amount of swarf and metal shavings that were on it. I
washed everthing off with WD40 and have to get some white lithium
grease before I can assemble it back. I have not noticed anything
missing except for the oil can and mailin warranty form. I'll
probabely order my dial indicator, mag holder,etc from Enco or
Littlemachineshop.com.

David.
Pep674

. I'll
probabely order my dial indicator, mag holder,etc from Enco or
Littlemachineshop.com.

I got a real neat digital caliper from Enco for $60. It takes a #357 battery
every year. I'm real happy with it.

Paul in AJ AZ

Brian Lawson

Hey Zack and Michael,

Dial and electronic digital calipers from "offshore" are not so
expensive, and same is true for micrometers. Latest flyer from
Wholesale Tool (www.wttool.com flyer pages 13) has the dial
calipers from 13.95 to 45.00, and digital from 17.95 to 99.00, all in
US dollars. Individual 1" plain mikes for 9.95 and electronic digital
for 39.00, plus a mechanical digital 0 to 3" three piece set for 54
bucks. Also a "6 piece measuring tool kit" looks really good for just
$74.00 on page 12 of the flyer.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 22 Jul 2003 18:28:34 GMT, (MichaelMandavil)