Alex

Default ball bearings with the U groove in outer ring

Do you know if anyone manufactures ball bearings with the V or U groove in
the center of outer
ring, so it can roll on the round rod?

Thanks,
Alex

mawdeeb

Look for cast iron casters and wheels. They make a grooved pulley type
for inverted V track for heavy loads.

Regards

Jim Vrzal
Holiday,FL

Alex wrote:
Do you know if anyone manufactures ball bearings with the V or U groove in
the center of outer
ring, so it can roll on the round rod?

Thanks,
Alex

Don Warner

Try Reid Tool & Supply www.reidtool.com they have steel & nylon cable
pulleys & Bishop Carver V bearings (expensive) also V cam followers.
Don Warner

dann mann

Just buy some linear bearings and be done with it. Somebody figured this
out a long time ago. Thompson bearings and shafts.

Alex

I considered it sometime ago. Unfortunately environment in which the device
will be used
have some abrasive dust present.
Plus manufacturing cost will be too high because:
1. Turned, ground and polished shafts are expensive. Especially stainless
ones.
2. Shafts must be absolutely parallel and at precise distance which makes
the manufacturing expensive.
3. Making slide is an expensive due to the precision.

Thanks for suggestion anyway.

BTW The cheapest(but still too expensive for me) linear solution I found was
from GUS.

"dann mann" wrote in message
Just buy some linear bearings and be done with it. Somebody figured this
out a long time ago. Thompson bearings and shafts.

Alexis

An alternative to a single bearing with a grooved OD for riding on a round
shaft is two regular bearings mounted in an 30-45 degree "V"
configuration. Adjust the spacing at the bottom of the vee to accomodate
the dia. of your shafting. These work very well in an abrasive environment
(I've actually used this setup on a grinder head that rides on two
parallel tubes) as they will just ride up and over deposits on the
shafting (and abrasive dust does like to stick to tubing) instead of
jamming like a groove would. Two of the common mass produced bearings that
you can buy cheaply in bulk would probably be cheaper/more cost effective
than a more specialized bearing too.

--
pls replace nospam with my name to reply privately.

Anthony

R. Wink wrote in
:

Reid Tool has them in the catalog..2 1/2 (2750 lbs) & 3 1/2 (5180 lbs)
inch units @ 56.44 & 60.40 each. Phone is 800-253-0421, fax
800-438-1145 R,. Wink

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:37:20 GMT, "Alex" wrote:

Do you know if anyone manufactures ball bearings with the V or U
groove in the center of outer
ring, so it can roll on the round rod?

Thanks,
Alex

Reid is THE place for useful, oddball stuff. They have the largest
selection of handles, knobs and what not I have found.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Alex

Alexis,

how do you mount bearings in a "V" configuration?
Do you use a special fixture?

Thanks,
Alex

"dann mann" wrote in message
Just buy some linear bearings and be done with it. Somebody figured

this
out a long time ago. Thompson bearings and shafts.

--
pls replace nospam with my name to reply privately.

dann mann

I used to operate a machine with ball bearings mounted in a vee setup.
Basically it was a bracket that held 4 ball bearings about 8 inches
apart. Think of a tube sliding over a smaller tube.
Instead of the tubes actually contacting, the outer race of the bearings
would touch the inner tube.
I believe they were set about 135 degrees apart so the traveler was
"captured" and couldn't lift off. That traveler part was a casting and
the bearing axles were on eccentric screws so preload could be adjusted