williamhenry

Default need large reamer

need a source for a 51 mm reamer , prefer #3 morse taper shank

DeepDiver

"williamhenry" wrote in message

need a source for a 51 mm reamer , prefer #3 morse taper shank

I prefer working in metric, but sometimes metric tools are more difficult to
find (at least, here in the US) and are usually more expensive than English
units tooling.

With that in mind, 51mm = 2.008". So unless that 0.008" (0.2mm) makes a
difference, I'd try a 2" reamer.

Regards,
Michael

D Murphy

"williamhenry" wrote in news:ruyfe.7329
:

need a source for a 51 mm reamer , prefer #3 morse taper shank

Mapal makes reamers up to 300mm or so as standards.
http://www.mapal.de/englisch/produkte.php
They have loads of distributors worldwide.

--

Dan

williamhenry

unfortunately , the .008 matters ,

I have to ream 2.005 out to 2.008 , plus our minus .0002

looks like d murphy was today's hero

Randy Replogle

"williamhenry" wrote in message
need a source for a 51 mm reamer , prefer #3 morse taper shank

Can you bore the part?
RR

PrecisionMachinisT

"williamhenry" wrote in message

unfortunately , the .008 matters ,

I have to ream 2.005 out to 2.008 , plus our minus .0002

Good luck, your probly gonna need it.

looks like d murphy was today's hero

Suggest hone it.

--

SVL

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 9 May 2005 08:35:17 -0700, PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

"williamhenry" wrote in message

I have to ream 2.005 out to 2.008 , plus our minus .0002

Suggest hone it.

Seems like a long way to go with a hone...?

Steve Lusardi

They are available, but probably in MT4, not MT3. The job is to open up a
2.005 hole to 2.008. The method is determined by the volume. You can buy or
make the appropriate reamer, but the cost will be around $200 plus time. If
this is a short job, I would consider honing first or boring second.
Steve

"williamhenry" wrote in message
need a source for a 51 mm reamer , prefer #3 morse taper shank

D Murphy

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

wrote:

"williamhenry" wrote in message

I have to ream 2.005 out to 2.008 , plus our minus .0002

Suggest hone it.

Seems like a long way to go with a hone...?

..003" isn't much for a 2+ inch reamer to take off. Honing or I.D. grinding
would be a safer bet. Especially if it's a one part that has to be right
kind of a deal.

--

Dan

williamhenry

reply

this is to ream a sleeve that is 1045 material and 12 inches long , the
sleeve is put in with liquid nitrogen for a .003-.005 interference fit

because the od of every sleeve is different , ranging from 2.780 thru 3.955,
I want to be able to quickly and reliably size the bore in the field , I
did mention this is being done in the field didn't I

approximately 60-80 sleeves

I am having the sleeves gundrilled oversize by .002 so the reamer should
have a very easy life

got a couple of quotes today @ 185.00 each if I order three , which is not
too bad

have to have the MT 3 as that is what fits in the mag drill

Gunner

On 9 May 2005 18:40:12 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

wrote:

"williamhenry" wrote in message

I have to ream 2.005 out to 2.008 , plus our minus .0002

Suggest hone it.

Seems like a long way to go with a hone...?

.003" isn't much for a 2+ inch reamer to take off. Honing or I.D. grinding
would be a safer bet. Especially if it's a one part that has to be right
kind of a deal.

I agree.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:51:55 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 9 May 2005 18:40:12 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

Seems like a long way to go with a hone...?

.003" isn't much for a 2+ inch reamer to take off. Honing or I.D. grinding
would be a safer bet. Especially if it's a one part that has to be right
kind of a deal.

I agree.

But, didn't he say he had like 80 of these to do, in the field? That's
a LONG way to go with a hone.

machineman

williamhenry wrote:
need a source for a 51 mm reamer , prefer #3 morse taper shank

Check out Adjustable Chucking Reamers. For a example see page 90 of the
online KBC Tools catalog. http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm A 2" is
adjustable up to .055" and is listed at $330 for UK brand and $389 for
US brand. I am sure any of the major suppliers will have something
similar. It doesn't state what the taper is on that particlular size
though. We are using these at present for a long run job on a cnc, but
with carbide blades
Gunner

On 10 May 2005 14:24:10 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:51:55 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 9 May 2005 18:40:12 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

Seems like a long way to go with a hone...?

.003" isn't much for a 2+ inch reamer to take off. Honing or I.D. grinding
would be a safer bet. Especially if it's a one part that has to be right
kind of a deal.

I agree.

But, didn't he say he had like 80 of these to do, in the field? That's
a LONG way to go with a hone.

Not really. Depends on the stone you use and the finish you want.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
PrecisionMachinisT

"Gunner" wrote in message
On 10 May 2005 14:24:10 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:51:55 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 9 May 2005 18:40:12 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

Seems like a long way to go with a hone...?

.003" isn't much for a 2+ inch reamer to take off. Honing or I.D.

grinding
would be a safer bet. Especially if it's a one part that has to be

right
kind of a deal.

I agree.

But, didn't he say he had like 80 of these to do, in the field? That's
a LONG way to go with a hone.

Not really. Depends on the stone you use and the finish you want.

Perhaps a "pull reamer" with a pilot....go a couple thou under, then roller
burnish..otherwise his surface roughness alone will make certification to
+/- .0002 next to impossible.

The whole deal appears to me as a leisurely drive down the road to
failure....but at least he's taking the scenic route....

--

SVL