DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/10571-ot-lightweight-ebay-shipping-fee-scam.html)

Jim Stewart July 19th 03 01:00 AM

OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam

I won an auction this morning and the item description showed
a shipping fee of $2.00. Well, I did the Ebay checkout that
takes you straight to Paypal and lo and behold, the shipping
field on the Paypal invoice automagically filled in $7.00.
Not a bad boost for a $5.75 item.

I cancelled out of Paypal and went back in directly without
doing an Ebay checkout. I was then able to enter the described
shipping fee and finish the transaction.

Roger Shoaf July 19th 03 04:01 AM

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
I won an auction this morning and the item description showed
a shipping fee of $2.00. Well, I did the Ebay checkout that
takes you straight to Paypal and lo and behold, the shipping
field on the Paypal invoice automagically filled in $7.00.
Not a bad boost for a $5.75 item.

I cancelled out of Paypal and went back in directly without
doing an Ebay checkout. I was then able to enter the described
shipping fee and finish the transaction.

I have paid $7 or $8 for shipping only to see that the postage was less than
$2. Kinda feels like you are getting taken.

--
Roger Shoaf

Keith Marshall July 19th 03 05:13 AM

OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam

When you fill out the forms to list an item on eBay it remembers the values
you used on the last item you listed. It's VERY easy to forget to change
something like the shipping charge. Now that PayPal is owned by eBay
they're very well integrated so the shipping specified on the listing form
is automatically passed to PayPal regardless of what the seller shows in his
text.

My point is that it could be, and probably is, an honest mistake.

--
Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934

mrbonaparte July 19th 03 06:15 AM

OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam

go to internet options to clear the history

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I have to watch that too. Somehow my IE browser seems to think
everything cost $18.00 to ship. Netscape insist it is $4.50.

How do you clear the memory of a particular form with these things?

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Keith Marshall July 19th 03 01:00 PM

OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam

How do you clear the memory of a particular form with these things?

I think that's a different problem. I'm talking about eBay's "save
preferences" option or whatever they call it. I think you're referring to
IE's attempt at remembering form field values and as someone else mentioned
I believe you can clear that by clearing your history in the Internet
Options utility in Control Panel.

You can also click on the form field on the page, hit the down cursor key,
select the item you want to get rid of and hit the delete key. It takes
awhile but you can selectively get rid of as many individual values as you
want that way.

Ian Stirling July 19th 03 01:02 PM

Roger Shoaf wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
I won an auction this morning and the item description showed
a shipping fee of $2.00. Well, I did the Ebay checkout that
takes you straight to Paypal and lo and behold, the shipping
field on the Paypal invoice automagically filled in $7.00.
Not a bad boost for a $5.75 item.

I cancelled out of Paypal and went back in directly without
doing an Ebay checkout. I was then able to enter the described
shipping fee and finish the transaction.

I have paid $7 or $8 for shipping only to see that the postage was less than
$2. Kinda feels like you are getting taken.

And packing, and walking 20 miles in the snow to the post office.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
'Where subtlety fails, we must simply make do with cream pies' -- David Brin

Jerry Wass July 19th 03 02:50 PM

OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam

No, I think that is a dishonest maneuver, with an "out" to look like an honest
mistake.

It's a pitiful state of affairs when you can't TRUST anyone,

ATP July 20th 03 03:05 AM

OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam

Ron Thompson wrote:
The point is to know you can't trust anyone and act accordingly. Then
when you do meet a trustworthy individual, its a treat. Rare, though.
I always say it's your friends that screw you. Strangers don't get a
chance.

I've had good experiences buying stuff from fellow hobbyists, especially
ones that are savvy about current values. They aren't looking to take you or
sell you something you can't use, even if it's obvious you are not a
knowledgeable buyer.

adam smith July 20th 03 05:33 AM

OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

I won an auction this morning and the item description showed
a shipping fee of $2.00. Well, I did the Ebay checkout that
takes you straight to Paypal and lo and behold, the shipping
field on the Paypal invoice automagically filled in $7.00.
Not a bad boost for a $5.75 item.

I've had people paypal me all kinds of random amounts for shipping, even
before I specified it. It took me a minute before I realized stupid IE's
forms autocomplete was trying to "help" these buyers.

-Adam

Tim Williams July 20th 03 07:17 AM

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
And packing, and walking 20 miles in the snow to the post office.

Ah, no wonder there's so many stories of slow shipments, the sellers
are waiting for winter to come around so they can trudge through it ;)

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Ian Stirling July 20th 03 12:41 PM

OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam

adam smith wrote:
In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

I won an auction this morning and the item description showed
a shipping fee of $2.00. Well, I did the Ebay checkout that
takes you straight to Paypal and lo and behold, the shipping
field on the Paypal invoice automagically filled in $7.00.
Not a bad boost for a $5.75 item.

I've had people paypal me all kinds of random amounts for shipping, even
before I specified it. It took me a minute before I realized stupid IE's
forms autocomplete was trying to "help" these buyers.

Something to remember.
I diddn't realise netscape was doing this at first, I assumed it was
just better integration between ebay and paypal, with paypal picking
up the shipping cost from ebay.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
"The theory of everything falls out trivially." -- Etherman, sci.physics kook.