Mike Graham

Default There is a God...and it's laughing at me

In article , Old Nick wrote:

I get a kink in the wirefeed liner on my MIG (of course).

So.. no torch? No stick welder? How about cutting the liner at the kink
and stuffing both pieces in? It works. It would work with the curtain
crap, too. Just cut it at the join and ream both ends a bit so it doesn't
have a sharp edge. Both ends of the liner are contained, so why not?

http://www.metalmangler.com| Caledon, Ontario, Canada
lcoe

Old Nick wrote:
1.5 hours' drive from town. My Dozer is broken and I need to weld up a
tripod to get it off the ground to fix it.

I get a kink in the wirefeed liner on my MIG (of course).

It's noon. A weekend looms. OK. I ring around and find the only shop
that has the liner. I go to town and do some other stuff, because
it's....well.1.5 hours' drive, so I have to do a few things to make it
worthwhile and they are on my way. Most businesses that sell stuff
close at 5PM right?!

4:15 PM I arrive at the welding shop. Shut. Oh yeah. It's Friday.
"What the heck lets' close early and hit the ****!"

Hey Nick! you s/b posting with a copywrite notice, good stuff.

--Loren

Or perish the thought! When I said "I will be in later this
afternoon", I did not say "What time do you close?"

Note to anal, perfectionist brain....if AT ALL suspicious, penetrate
and persevere. Ignore derision and displeasure of mere mortals.

Bugger!

Ok. Clever thought! Lateral behaviour! Go to the hardware store and
grab some of that plastic coated coiled wire stuff they use to hang
shower curtains and other stuff. It looks the same coiled spring as my
liner, maybe it will do until I get to town again. A guy has to try.

Rock up to the hardware store at 5 min before closing (which was weird
because I thought they were open until 9PM every night, but tonight
must be 7PM ????).

Big panic. What _is_ this stuff? Show great patience while I am
pointed to the rope section , the plumbing section etc etc.

Aaahah! Curtain fittings! (DUH!)

Buy the same length of curtain coil as my liner. It's a bit thinner
but worth a try. I have some welding to do.

Take it home. Feed the 0.9 wire through. It works! Clever boy! Hoho!

Have you ever patted your own back so much you nearly
cam....no....sorry...anatomically incorrect. hrrrmpph!

BUT WAIT!

..........in the midst of the cerebrations....

At a point about 80% of the length of the coiled stuff, the wire
stops feeding properly. Stuck solid. Clunk clunk.

In all the THOUSANDS, MILLIONS ???? of feet of
this stuff that they make, I bought 10', and in the middle of it is a

______J O I N _______

that has a plug to join the coils, and obscures the wire feed.

1.5 hours' drive from town. My Dozer is broken and I need to weld up a
tripod to get it off the ground to fix it.

hnhnhnhnhnnn nn nn nn !

HATE FATE! HATE FATE! HATE FATE! HATE FATE!

hnhnhnhnhnnn nn nn nn ! aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgh!

In all the THOUSANDS, MILLIONS ???? of feet of
this stuff that they make, I bought 10', and in the middle of it is a

J O I N

that has a plug to join the coils, and obscures the wire feed.

hnhnhnhnhnnn nn nn nn !

HATE FATE! HATE FATE! HATE FATE! HATE FATE!

hnhnhnhnhnnn nn nn nn ! aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgh!

1.5 hours' drive

My Dozer is broken

weld

In all the THOUSANDS, MILLIONS ???? of feet of
this......................

Loop until you undersatnd.

IGNORE THE SIGNATURE QUOTE. It may be OK by me, but this one is the
meanie for this message.

"It's bad enough when life kicks you in the (head??) again and again.
Does it have to sandpaper your armpits all the time while it does it?"

************************************************** ****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

David L Peterson

************************************************* *****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

About now I'm real thankfull for my old stick welder. I don't have to
deal with any of these problems and it would have welded your tripod
just fine.

Dave
Rusty Bates

Nick, good story but still hate it for you brother. I always get antsy
on fridays just due what happen to you. The trick is not to work on
fridays, Chuckle!

Rusty

(Old Nick) wrote in message ...
1.5 hours' drive from town. My Dozer is broken and I need to weld up a
tripod to get it off the ground to fix it.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

John Flanagan

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:19:26 -0400, Mike Graham
wrote:

In article , Old Nick wrote:

I get a kink in the wirefeed liner on my MIG (of course).

So.. no torch? No stick welder? How about cutting the liner at the kink
and stuffing both pieces in? It works. It would work with the curtain
crap, too. Just cut it at the join and ream both ends a bit so it doesn't
have a sharp edge. Both ends of the liner are contained, so why not?

Mike, she's , I mean he's, not interested in the solution to the
problem. She, I mean he, just wants you to comiserate with her, I
mean him :^). She, I mean he, just wants you to feel what her, I mean
his, day was like. What she, I mean he, really wants to hear is
something like, "Well schnookums, I know how you feel, let's call it a
day and go drink a beer" :^).

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

clare @ snyder.on .ca

(Old Nick) wrote in message ...
1.5 hours' drive from town. My Dozer is broken and I need to weld up a
tripod to get it off the ground to fix it.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

I only have crisis on holidays.
Had to take my oldest daughter to University in "Winterpeg" from
Waterloo Ontario 2 years ago. Driving through the states Friday of
labour day weekend when the driveshaft on the Aerostar let go - rear
U-joint I had just paid to have replaced (because I was in West Africa
and it needed replacing) came unstuck. Just East of Flint Michigan.
Got towed into flint, where there were no garages willing to tackle
the job at 4PM, and they were closing Sat for the holiday.
Got dropped off in an auto parts store parking lot. I went in and
bought a U joint. Had no tools, so I bought the only set of metric
combo wrenches they had in stock, a vise grips, hammer, and 6 inch
vice.
Crawled under the truck and the bolts would NOT come undone. Bent the
cheap chinese wrench into a pretzel. Went to the restaurant next door
and asked if anyone knew anyone locally who did their own repairs and
might have some tools I could borrow. A young fellow with a ponytail
had just finished supper , owned a ditching company and fixed his own
equipment, but had the lincoln, not the truck - and offered to go get
some tools and give me a hand. Between the two of us, the bolts still
would not come loose, so we removed the remaining clip, drove the
joint out of the yoke, and pressed the new bearings in, under the
truck, holding the vice up to the shaft. By 7:30 we were back on the
road, heading west.
There is a God, Sometimes he laughs, and other times???
Leo Lichtman

clare @ snyder wrote: (clip) By 7:30 we were back on the road, heading
west.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What could you POSSIBLY do to show your appreciation to someone like that?

michael

Leo Lichtman wrote:

clare @ snyder wrote: (clip) By 7:30 we were back on the road, heading
west.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What could you POSSIBLY do to show your appreciation to someone like that?

Probably a sincere thankyou would be sufficient. I doubt the guy helped with
any expectation of more. My wife got some free towing once. When they pulled
up to the shop, the driver said he remembered bringing me a carburetor that
needed a helicoil or something once, and I did not charge him. Told him to do
someone else a favor sometime. Well, faith in fellow man got some
reinforcement that day.

michael

Tim Williams

"Old Nick" wrote in message
Mike, she's , I mean he's,

If you think I am a "she", then I don't know what your point is, but I
think I know where it points most often. Maybe you have a bi8t of a
kink in your own wire feed?

That's a given, but I think he's pointing out the fact that you were
going on and on, complaining, like women are known to do. ;-)

Sorry to hear you had a crappy day. :\

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Brian Lawson

Hey guys,

I'm sure the reply poster himself/herself can clarify, but I took all
the "hesaid/she said" in that reply to be that perhaps God is female
and so the reply needed to be kept politically correct. I also
suggest/assume that the reply was tongue-in-cheek.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Windsor, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:14:36 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Old Nick" wrote in message
Mike, she's , I mean he's,

If you think I am a "she", then I don't know what your point is, but I
think I know where it points most often. Maybe you have a bi8t of a
kink in your own wire feed?

That's a given, but I think he's pointing out the fact that you were
going on and on, complaining, like women are known to do. ;-)

Sorry to hear you had a crappy day. :\

Tim

Old Nick

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:44:04 -0500, David L Peterson
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

I am not even going there! G

About now I'm real thankfull for my old stick welder. I don't have to
deal with any of these problems and it would have welded your tripod
just fine.

Dave

************************************************** ****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Old Nick

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:13:36 GMT, clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote
something
.......and in reply I say!:

Yep. I have been in jams and seen the upside like that. Just needed a
vent and maybe let somebody have a chuckle at someone else for a
change G

[...]

Old Nick

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:02:14 GMT, lcoe
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Old Nick wrote:
1.5 hours' drive from town. My Dozer is broken and I need to weld up a
tripod to get it off the ground to fix it.

Hey Nick! you s/b posting with a copywrite notice, good stuff.

--Loren

Hoped I could amuse....
************************************************** ****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

John Flanagan

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:20:28 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm sure the reply poster himself/herself can clarify, but I took all
the "hesaid/she said" in that reply to be that perhaps God is female
and so the reply needed to be kept politically correct. I also
suggest/assume that the reply was tongue-in-cheek.

Man, one has to be careful what one says lest it be taken twenty
different ways :^). But you're right it was tongue in cheek. It was
just funny to me that Old Nick just wanted to get his frustration off
his chest, and Mike offered the typical male response to a typically
female complaint by offering a solution to the problem instead of
co-miserating with him when it was obvious that was what he was
seeking.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:11:05 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

clare @ snyder wrote: (clip) By 7:30 we were back on the road, heading
west.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What could you POSSIBLY do to show your appreciation to someone like that?

I told him exactly that - No way I could adequately thank him. Itried
real hard to give him some of that "legal US Tender" stuff and finally
convinced him that a twenty was not meant as payment, which he would
not accept, but as a token of my appreciation.
I have been on the other side of the equation as well, where I was
able to help someone else stranded on the road. When you end up on the
recieving end you know all the more how good it is to lend a helping
hand.
Old Nick

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:20:28 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Hey guys,

I'm sure the reply poster himself/herself can clarify, but I took all
the "hesaid/she said" in that reply to be that perhaps God is female
and so the reply needed to be kept politically correct. I also
suggest/assume that the reply was tongue-in-cheek.

What tongue in which cheek?

Politically correct yes. Assume female? No. No gender. Hw can the
infinite reproduce? G

************************************************** ****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Old Nick

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:18:37 -0700, michael
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Late one rainy night, I was driving home on my way to my hills home.
There was this guy stopped on the side of the road, stuck, in trouble
and he flagged me down. I fixed his car. He _drove_ a nice car, and I
still enjoy the use of it GG

heheheheh!

Leo Lichtman wrote:

clare @ snyder wrote: (clip) By 7:30 we were back on the road, heading
west.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What could you POSSIBLY do to show your appreciation to someone like that?

************************************************** ****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

Old Nick

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:44:04 -0500, David L Peterson
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Actually I can't resist. MIG is better than having to change the wire
feed every 30 seconds GG

About now I'm real thankfull for my old stick welder. I don't have to
deal with any of these problems and it would have welded your tripod
just fine.

Dave

************************************************** ****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Tim Williams

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
God could write a book.

I thought he did Several in fact...

None with welding info though. A shame. ;-)

TIm

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

John Flanagan

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:06:29 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"John Flanagan" wrote in message
Don't know how easy it is for Him to get a date.

Well, with heaven filled with angels as it is, and having an eternity
of fridays, you'd think it's pretty easy..

Maybe that's what heaven is, perpetual Fridays :^).

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Old Nick

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:16:45 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
God could write a book.

I thought he did Several in fact...

None with welding info though. A shame. ;-)

Wrong, wrong! Used a flaming sword I believe.
************************************************** ****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Old Nick

On 21 Jul 2003 15:37:39 GMT, wsolurb ( Doug Goncz )
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

It's almost a dead ringer for the liner in the MIG (not Teflon). It is
a tightly coiled hard wire, with a plastic coating. It's usually used
by screwing eyehooks in each end, and then hooking these over eyehooks
in the places where you want the curtain hung, with the steel/plastic
supporting the curtain either in a tube of cloth, or using hooks over
the line. Not really shower curtain, probably. More cheap cupboard
curtain.

Shower curtain coiled spring? Never heard of it.

How is the stuff used?

I used to collect spring drive belt sections when I worked at the Washington
Post stuffing ads, late at night.

I've used bicycle cable sheathing for various things.

Sure is a good story about them rolling up the sidewalks Friday night, but I
had to ask; I've never heard of this stuff.

Yours,

Doug Goncz, Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA
Unpublished work Copyright 2003 Doug Goncz
Fair use and Usenet distribution without restriction or fee
Civil and criminal penalties for circumvention of any embedded encryption