Old July 20th 03, 05:53 PM
Keith Marshall

Default Cheap import tools and product liability (was: Violent Electric Drill Accident)

Speaking of tool addictions...is there a 12-step program
for that? scritch, scritch, scritch

I wouldn't know. I still enjoy my addiction too much to think about curing
it. :-D

Cheap tools are great fun.

I can't afford the good stuff so I've learned to enjoy the challenge of
doing good work with the cheap tools.

Oh yes you will! You'll be taking the second one out of the box

because the first one had died and then where will you be? Get
that second one out and put the first one away. Then you'll KNOW
you have two good (?) grinders.

Good point. I did at least pull it out and make sure it worked while the
company was still in town though. I learned that one the hard way.

There was a junk truck like that coming around here earlier

this year, but most of the stuff wouldn't have made Harbor
Fright grade. Real Chiwanese trash. Wannabemetal pliers,
annealed drill bits of the same "metal". Hah!

That's probably Cummins. Homier isn't too far behind Harbor Freight on most
things but the stuff Cummins had when they came to town was pure garbage. I
bought one of their 6-inch bench grinders and it wouldn't hardly sharpen a
1/4" drill bit without bogging down. :-(

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 05:01:04 GMT, "Keith Marshall"
pixelated:

Speaking of tool addictions...is there a 12-step program
for that? scritch, scritch, scritch

The least expensive angle grinder was a 4.5 " unit for $39.95. They

didn't
seem to know anything about $14.95 units. Where do you find them?

Nearly any "house brand" item from Harbor Freight will occasionally be

put
on sale for 1/2 price. Currently I don't see any on sale but there are

two
on sale for Inside Track Club members. Item # 43471 is currently $15.97,
usually $29.99 and item # 42203 is $12.97, normally $27.99.

I make it down to Medford every month or two for those HFT
half price sales. What a selection! And some stuff is so cheap
that it's great to use merely as a pattern for a real tool.
Cheap tools are great fun.

But the best deal I've found is from Homier Mobile Merchants,
http://www.homier.com. They have a traveling truckload tool sale that
comes
through the area a couple of times a year and the last two times they

were
here they had them for $5.99! I bought two about a year ago and I'm

still
on the first one. Of course the 2nd one may fall apart as soon as I take

it
out of the box but for that price I won't complain too much. :-)

Oh yes you will! You'll be taking the second one out of the box
because the first one had died and then where will you be? Get
that second one out and put the first one away. Then you'll KNOW
you have two good (?) grinders. I picked up a Makita 4-1/2 for $35
and it has been a good little machine. Well, the little I use it.

On their Web site there is a link to sign up for notification of when

they
will be in your area. Since the Harbor Freight store opened here in
Charlotte they haven't actually come to Charlotte but they've been to

nearly
every city around me, usually within 20-30 miles or so. A month ago they
were in the area and had autodark welding helmets for $39.99!

There was a junk truck like that coming around here earlier
this year, but most of the stuff wouldn't have made Harbor
Fright grade. Real Chiwanese trash. Wannabemetal pliers,
annealed drill bits of the same "metal". Hah!

Jeff (Who confesses to being a loyal HF customer for his "hobby

grade"
equipment.)

Ditto here. Most stuff is just OK, some is real trash, some
real treasures.

"I before E except after C"....(The height of insufficient weird

ancient science...)

or...

"i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Old July 20th 03, 11:39 PM
John Flanagan

Default Cheap import tools and product liability

On 19 Jul 2003 20:00:40 -0700, (Tim Shoppa)
wrote:

Ian Stirling wrote in message ...
Double insulated tools don't need a third wire, even on 240V.
The only possible problem (if it was double insulated) would be if there
is a code problem with connecting a 3 pin plug to a 2 wire cord.

Three-prong plugs are far less likely to "fall out" or get bent if
stressed. The flat shape of the North American 15A live/neutral prongs
is a big mistake, I notice that most overseas plugs use no flat prongs
at all, an obvious improvement over the US design. In any event,
the poor design of the US 2-prong plug is supplemented
by a nice sturdy circular ground prong in the 3-prong version.

I do not like seeing any part of a live prong exposed under any circumstances,
but with US two-prong plugs a slight sideways pull will leave some of
the prong clearly visible. This doesn't happen nearly so readily with
a three-prong plug, and I believe that's a safety advantage even if the
ground isn't used.

America Basher :^)!! I would agree, but then again the US doesn't use
240VAC for your kids to play with :^). So the best thing, IMO, would
be a better designed plug using only 120VAC. I can't tell you how
many times I've shocked myself with 120, hurts a little but no damage.
I imagine 240 has a bit more of a kick.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.
Old July 21st 03, 05:15 PM
Charles A. Sherwood

I recently stopped into the locaal Evergreen hardware in AJ AZ to buy a nail
(or screw) and noted a small angle grinder on the counter with a price of $6.95
on it. Yep-$6.95. I thot it was mismarked but they had a whole stack of
them. I bought on. Haven't plugged it in yet.

My brother bought one at a flee market that appeared to be from Harbor
freight. It was new and still in the box. I figured the guy bought a
bunch on sale and made a few bucks on each at the flee market. He used
it once and it died. I hear others have had better luck.