Old July 25th 03, 04:45 AM
John T. McCracken

Default An apology

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
jim rozen wrote:

In article , "John says...

also known as the velocity of money.

The great given, and I am an absolute expert here so pay attention, is

that
the velocity of money is increased approx. tenfold when a teenage girl

is
present in the household!

LOL. Also the velocity of the hot water through the
showerhead!

And the bandwidth over the phone and DSL line.

Yup, those too!

JTMcC.

Old July 25th 03, 05:28 AM
Mark Winlund

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , "Mark says...

Perhaps you are right, Ed. I'll be the first to admit I am not an expert

on
this, and you have spent a lot of time and energy examining the

situation.

Geeze, Mark. How can you hope to match the posts of Lennie if
you keep making remarks like that? Even worse yet, what if
one day you opened up a post from him, and found the same words
in there, but substitute 'gunner' for 'ed.'

I think they would have to scrape us both up off the floor with
a spatula.

This is I think what does amaze me, how all different kinds of
posters can co-exist on this ng - with you and your tolerance
and deference apparently at one end of the spectrum!

Jim

LOL! Sorry, I'll try to do better! Perhap Lennie can give me some
lessons.....

Seriously, I wish I understood it better. There is so much mis-information
floating around, especially in economics. Most of it is similar to Alice in
Wonderland as far as common sense goes. While Ed and I disagree on a number
of subjects, I suspect we are not very far apart on this one, especially
regarding the serious consequences for our nation.

Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

Mark

Old July 25th 03, 06:09 AM
Ken Davey

"Mark Winlund" wrote in message

"jim rozen" wrote in message
[...]

Check out this url
http://www.unescap.org/pdd/publicati...in2002/ch2.pdf

Unfortunately it is in pdf format which I do find annoying. It is one
examination of the economics being discussed in this thread.

Regards.
Ken.

Old July 25th 03, 06:47 AM
Tim Williams

Default 8 Murdered, 45 critically injured in LA Spree

"charles krin" wrote in message
hmmm...knives, axes, hammers....

Knives cut (anything you want.. doens't have to be meat).
Axes chop wood.
Hammers drive nails.
Try again.

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Old July 25th 03, 06:58 AM
Eddy Wells

Gary Coffman wrote in message
The health of any economy is primarily a function of the velocity
of money. The more rapidly it changes hands, and the more hands
through which it passes, the more robust the economy. It doesn't
really matter what jobs people do to make the velocity of money
high. The notion that wealth is only measured in tangible goods
output is primitive, and a fundamentally flawed way of measuring
the health of a modern economy.

Gary

You hit the nail on the head, Gary

The Republicans want to sit on all the money and let it trickle
down to the rest of the people...

Big business is squeezing little businesses and raping them by
taking all the profit, then spinning of whats left. Laying off
people to improve their profit on paper...

The Gunslinger destroyed Iraq for Exxon and Haliburton.
Tricky Dick is in the backseat at Haliburton...

If they would pass some of the money around, people like
Gunner would be alot better off.

Eddy Wells
Conroe,Texas

Old July 25th 03, 08:55 AM
Gary Coffman

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:44:34 -0700, "Mark Winlund" wrote:
Perhaps you are right, Ed. I'll be the first to admit I am not an expert on
this, and you have spent a lot of time and energy examining the situation.
That being said, I do know that there is an awful lot of misery out there
due to our losing manufacturing jobs to places like China. I fear for my
kid's (and his kid's) future. He's no dummy, and the employment situation
looks very bleak with very little improvement in sight.

It looks bleak if he aspires to an assembly line job. Those jobs, the
one's not being automated out of existence, are being exported to
other countries. There are a number of reasons for that, not the least
of which was the union demands of the last half century which drove
up the costs of semi-skilled labor far beyond its economic value.

But if he aspires to a skilled service job, there are plenty to be found.
The medical field is so short handed that underqualified third worlders
are being imported to fill positions. If he trains to be a medical technician,
pharmacist, or nurse, he'll never want for a job.

Even the small field of broadcasting is desperate for skilled technicians,
and the pay is quite good. I could get him a firm job offer tomorrow if he
has the right skills and aptitude for the work.

For less skilled work, agriculture is begging for workers, even the
importation of large numbers of illegals hasn't filled the need. Of
course the pay isn't great, and the work is hard, but that's the way
it is with low skill labor.

Gary

Old July 25th 03, 09:01 AM
Gunner

On 24 Jul 2003 22:58:32 -0700, (Eddy Wells)
wrote:

Gary Coffman wrote in message
The health of any economy is primarily a function of the velocity
of money. The more rapidly it changes hands, and the more hands
through which it passes, the more robust the economy. It doesn't
really matter what jobs people do to make the velocity of money
high. The notion that wealth is only measured in tangible goods
output is primitive, and a fundamentally flawed way of measuring
the health of a modern economy.

Gary

You hit the nail on the head, Gary

The Republicans want to sit on all the money and let it trickle
down to the rest of the people...

Cites?

Big business is squeezing little businesses and raping them by
taking all the profit, then spinning of whats left. Laying off
people to improve their profit on paper...

Seems to me, thats a bipartisan tactic. Need the cites?

The Gunslinger destroyed Iraq for Exxon and Haliburton.
Tricky Dick is in the backseat at Haliburton...

Hint, at any time, the US could have eased the restrictions on Oil for
Food, etc etc and gotten the oil for Exxon and Haliburton (whom doesnt
sell oil btw..they are producers and service company) for a hell of a
lot cheaper than tis gonna cost them now, with much bigger profits and
better press.
Where do you clods come up with this trash?

If they would pass some of the money around, people like
Gunner would be alot better off.

Eddy Wells
Conroe,Texas

Eddy, you should know better than this, you being oil field trash just
like me. You been listening to too much lefty propaganda and not
thinking enough.

Gunner

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty
is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
-- Ben Franklin
Old July 25th 03, 12:04 PM
Ed Huntress

"Mark Winlund" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote

You should look at it from the other end of the telescope, Mark. All any

of
us do is supply services, unless we're farmers. "Tangible goods" are

just
services bundled into convenient packages. Your can opener provides the
service of opening cans, not of delighting your artistic sensibilities.

Ed Huntress

Perhaps you are right, Ed. I'll be the first to admit I am not an expert

on
this, and you have spent a lot of time and energy examining the situation.
That being said, I do know that there is an awful lot of misery out there
due to our losing manufacturing jobs to places like China. I fear for my
kid's (and his kid's) future. He's no dummy, and the employment situation
looks very bleak with very little improvement in sight.

I have closely followed your articles on the subject.

Regards,

Mark

I'm sure you realize that I'm not pointing this out in order to support the
idea that manufacturing doesn't matter, Mark. The point is that the
relationship between goods and services is a complex one, and that economic
arguments have to be thought through before they'll hold any water.

Many of the arguments in favor of manufacturing are poorly thought through
and, thus, they are poorly argued. When you're arguing with free-trade
ideologues, like the President's Council of Economic Advisors, it's no fun
to get shot down before you utter your second sentence. The arguments in
favor of encouraging a strong manufacturing base in the US are powerful
ones -- if they're based on an understanding of such things as this complex
relationship.

It isn't easy and, when you get involved in it, you quickly reach a point
where theories are being tossed around with little thought being given to
the practical realities behind them. I don't try to argue economic theories
with the economists but I, like you and the other readers of our magazine,
can teach them a few things about the realities.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Old July 25th 03, 03:07 PM
Charles A. Sherwood

the velocity of money is increased approx. tenfold when a teenage girl

is
present in the household!

Dont forget the velocity of the cars on the street. (boyfriends)