Old July 22nd 03, 08:20 AM
John Flanagan

Default 8 Murdered, 45 critically injured in LA Spree (what a moron)

On 21 Jul 2003 21:33:50 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , "Tim says...

You [johnm] must be assuming God gives us free will; thus without a God,
there is no free will and all is predetermined.

"God does not play dice." (A. Einstein)
"Don't tell god what to do." (N. Bohr)

Supposedly a true interchange.

"Know what the will of God is" (A. Paul)

John :^)

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Old July 22nd 03, 08:26 AM
John Flanagan

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:48:02 -0700, "Ken Davey"
wrote:

Let me get this straight.
You say that with the presence of an omnipotent god there is free will??
The 'omnipotent' part means that *everything* is a result of this god's will
(either through action or inaction) therefore there *is* no free will in
this instance.
I think you have this all bassakwards.

Traditionally "omnipotent" means that God is all powerful, not that
everything is a result of His will specifically. Scripture explicitly
states that many things are not His will. Things contrary to His will
are things He had to allow for "free will" or "choice" to have any
real meaning. If people could only choose His will then what meaning
would "choice" have?

I don't think I've got it backwards, do I :^)?

Old July 22nd 03, 08:32 AM
John Flanagan

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:11:48 -0400, "dddd" wrote:

Doesn't this depend upon whether you are Roman Catholic or Episcopalian? I
seem to remember this being one of the major points of difference between
the two theologies.

Not really sure. I haven't studied either to any extent to know.
Most of my beliefs come from my own personal study and not
denominational dogma. In fact I don't like to reference commentaries
until after I have developed my own interpretations. It's really
satisfying to come up with interpretations that go counter to the
typical contemporary doctrines and then read that the Church Fathers
actually came to the same conclusions as I have :^)! The implications
of the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15) and especially the reason for
Job's trials are two of my favorites (Job).

Old July 22nd 03, 09:55 AM
Gary Coffman

Default 8 Murdered, 45 critically injured in LA Spree

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:19:06 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:53:33 GMT, "Arthur Hardy"
wrote:

A-Bombs are designed to give everyone a nice quick tan.

They can also be used in building canals. Irrc some article many years
ago in Popular Mechanics about some proposals to do exactly that.

Project Plowshare quietly died after the atmospheric test ban treaty
was signed.

Gary

Old July 22nd 03, 03:44 PM
jim rozen

Default An apology

In article , Gunner says...

...liberals are Greatly offended when they find out
they are not only in the minority, but are held in distain. They look
at Bushs popularity ratings in bewildered confusion, tearing their
hair and bewailing their lack of comprehension of why.

Geeze, no kidding. How come everyone loves him when
the economy is in the ****ter so bad? Just a conundrum
I guess. Maybe the honeymoon is *just* about over.

Funny thing in the paper the other day, they plotted
the US deficit over the last 20 years or so. Goverment
ran a deficit the *entire* time, except during clinton's
administration. Those spendy republicans, somebody ought to
teach them some fiscal responsibility.

I enjoy watching the Dems/Iiberals only attack, never offering a
counter suggestion to a problem. Which is why the Bush thing about
Uranium ...

I don't really think this is about uranium, or those pesky
WMDs. I think it's a core value issue about simply telling
the truth. That 'not lying' thing.

Jim

please reply to:

Old July 22nd 03, 04:48 PM
Gunner

On 22 Jul 2003 07:44:46 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

...liberals are Greatly offended when they find out
they are not only in the minority, but are held in distain. They look
at Bushs popularity ratings in bewildered confusion, tearing their
hair and bewailing their lack of comprehension of why.

Geeze, no kidding. How come everyone loves him when
the economy is in the ****ter so bad? Just a conundrum
I guess. Maybe the honeymoon is *just* about over.

The economy started into the ****ter in the last quarter of the
Clinton administration, and thats easily proven. Bush inherited a
failing economy and a government that the people had little respect
and no trust for. It was refreshing to the common man, to find someone
in office that was much like them, and they like what he has been
doing, and most trust him to do the right thing. Only on the rabid
Left, do they scream and attack.

Funny thing in the paper the other day, they plotted
the US deficit over the last 20 years or so. Goverment
ran a deficit the *entire* time, except during clinton's
administration. Those spendy republicans, somebody ought to
teach them some fiscal responsibility.

Chuckle.. who had control of the money during those years?
Hint..Democrat controlled Congress. Think Tax and Spend.
It wasnt until the 104th Congress did the Republicans get control. Not
that they are much better..but lets be truthful here, ok?

I enjoy watching the Dems/Iiberals only attack, never offering a
counter suggestion to a problem. Which is why the Bush thing about
Uranium ...

I don't really think this is about uranium, or those pesky
WMDs. I think it's a core value issue about simply telling
the truth. That 'not lying' thing.

Jim

Jim, if it was only about telling the Truth, the Dems would have
forced Clinton to resign............

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs
Old July 22nd 03, 05:44 PM
Mark Winlund

"Gunner" wrote

As I said, I respond to
hundreds of posts every week. Some cordial, some not so, but they ,
with two exceptions, are given in generally the same tone as the
other party uses, with lots of English and pepper tossed in. Those two
exceptions are the quite mad, Leslie the Loonie, and a gent named
Abrasha, whom evidently has seen the light and leaves well enough
alone. We simply ignore each other, and he doesnt initiate flames,
insults and ad hominums, so I have no need to respond in kind. I wish
Leslie would learn that lesson. Though to be truthful, he does tend to
bring out the Dark Side in me..shrug. Its like watching with a certain
twisted fascination, a car wreck, when he starts....

I find Lennie's posts quite entertaining..... I actually look for them. I
have built a quite specific mental picture of this fellow.... It is
fascinating to read his little rants.

Mark

Old July 22nd 03, 05:46 PM
Mark Winlund

"jim rozen" wrote

I don't really think this is about uranium, or those pesky
WMDs. I think it's a core value issue about simply telling
the truth. That 'not lying' thing.

Sort of like that other fellow..... what was his name.... Clinton?

Mark

Old July 22nd 03, 06:00 PM
jim rozen

In article , "Mark says...

"jim rozen" wrote

I don't really think this is about uranium, or those pesky
WMDs. I think it's a core value issue about simply telling
the truth. That 'not lying' thing.

Sort of like that other fellow..... what was his name.... Clinton?

Absolutely. And they impeached him. Do you think the
same thing should be done here?

Jim

please reply to: