Mark Rand

Default Shop Colors Scheme and Lighting

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:08:04 -0600, "Jesse L Zufall"
wrote:

I just purchased about 19' of wall cabinets for my shop and hope to install
them by the end of the month while my father in-law is here (free help). Was
wondering what the NG's recommendation for paint color scheme would be for
the cabinets. I plan to use a 1/8" steel plate over two 3/4 plywood sheets
for the counter tops.. Not sure what paint would be best for the cabinet
faces, drawers and doors. I am leaning toward painting the cabinets black
and the doors and drawers a machine gray. The hope was to show as little
dirt as possible on the outsides. The insides of the cabinets I was thinking
about painting white as to reflect light inside the cabinets.

Also, I have seen several shops that use florescent lighting but have been
pondering the idea of running a series of small floods above the wall
cabinets to direct light down onto the counter top itself. (Possibly of a
12V variety). The main lighting for the shop at this time is two 300W floods
18' in the air. Hardly adequate for a 1900 sqr.ft. garage. I have often seen
lighting grids in theaters that could be raised or lowered via a pipe grid.
Not so sure how I like the idea of using such for a shop but it would make
rolling the gantry around without trashing my lights a little easier.
Hanging drop lights from the ceiling over the mill and lathe might be a
viable option if I could find an inexpensive way to retract them should the
need arise.

What I am trying to do is come up with workable shop lighting without
breaking the bank. Don't want it to look as though it was put together by a
backwoods hog farmer though.

Your input is most welcome.

Best Regards,
Jesse L Zufall

Go for a very light grey or white. You can never have too much light in the
workshop (until you start welding!)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Roy Hauer

I would paint it all white, and if you don't like white I would use
one of about the other 2001 shades of white. Its hard to beat white.
My shop floor is white, walls are white, ceiling is white. Where I
screwed up is painting my cabinets black. It shows more dust and dirt
than I care to think about. Someday I may paint them white, or at
least a light gray or tan.

Personally I like fourescent lights, and have em over every machine
and the lengths of benchs and the middle of the shop floor. I use a
bulb thats made for use in hospitals etc, not the coolwhite or warm
sun stuff as is typically sold in builder supplies. Graingers had to
order them but for the money they are nice. Of course I don't have to
worry with it being too cold where I live to make starting of the
lights a problem either. Can't ever have too much light., and also
having a white floor etc is not as bad as one would think on keeping
it clean, unless you arc weld on it ;-)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:08:04 -0600, "Jesse L Zufall"
wrote:

x-I just purchased about 19' of wall cabinets for my shop and hope to install
x-them by the end of the month while my father in-law is here (free help). Was
x-wondering what the NG's recommendation for paint color scheme would be for
x-the cabinets. I plan to use a 1/8" steel plate over two 3/4 plywood sheets
x-for the counter tops.. Not sure what paint would be best for the cabinet
x-faces, drawers and doors. I am leaning toward painting the cabinets black
x-and the doors and drawers a machine gray. The hope was to show as little
x-dirt as possible on the outsides. The insides of the cabinets I was thinking
x-about painting white as to reflect light inside the cabinets.
x-
x-Also, I have seen several shops that use florescent lighting but have been
x-pondering the idea of running a series of small floods above the wall
x-cabinets to direct light down onto the counter top itself. (Possibly of a
x-12V variety). The main lighting for the shop at this time is two 300W floods
x-18' in the air. Hardly adequate for a 1900 sqr.ft. garage. I have often seen
x-lighting grids in theaters that could be raised or lowered via a pipe grid.
x-Not so sure how I like the idea of using such for a shop but it would make
x-rolling the gantry around without trashing my lights a little easier.
x-Hanging drop lights from the ceiling over the mill and lathe might be a
x-viable option if I could find an inexpensive way to retract them should the
x-need arise.
x-
x-What I am trying to do is come up with workable shop lighting without
x-breaking the bank. Don't want it to look as though it was put together by a
x-backwoods hog farmer though.
x-
x-Your input is most welcome.
x-
x-Best Regards,
x-Jesse L Zufall
x-

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Dan Caster

I would use light colors. Black actually shows dust more than off
white.
I would also use just one color for the cabinete. I expect there will
be plenty of other things in the shop to add contrast.

Dan
ff

Jesse L Zufall wrote:

[...]

I'm partial to that shade of beige they put on Lista cabinets.

michael

Roy Hauer wrote:

[...]

I'm with Roy on the issue of cool & warm white flourescents. I was at an electrical
supply some years ago picking up some things, and noticed how pleasant the lighting
was. Well, I left with 8 or 10 8 foot bulbs that seemed real pricey until I installed
them and got used to ignoring the weird color they *appeared* to be when looking
directly at them next to the crappy cool whites. I could see! They were SPX35.
And as far as white paint on everything, I don't like white, but I like white.G
Keep the color scheme skewed to lighter shades, darker colors for accent and making
welds look better.still grinnin

michael

wrote:

[...]

Randy Replogle

Dan Caster wrote:

I would use light colors. Black actually shows dust more than off
white.

They say most indoor dust is dead skin from people. So depending on the
shade of your skin .........
Randy