DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Variable speed motor for my 110V mill/drill? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/105128-variable-speed-motor-my-110v-mill-drill.html)

stag May 4th 05 12:10 AM

Variable speed motor for my 110V mill/drill?

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for putting a variable speed
motor controller on my little 110V mill/drill. The belts are a *******
to adjust for different speeds... it would sure be nice to just turn a
dial and still get reasonably good torque w/ a reasonable amount of
speed variablility. And, I'm doing a CNC conversion soon, so this would
really be a + (especially if it has an an analog input for adjusting
speed).

I've seen a lot of Variable Frequency Drivess on ebay for 3ph stuff...
wish I had a big mill with that kind of motor... but my mill/drill will
have to do for now.

What about 110V 1ph? What kind of motor controller and who are good
sources? Is this even a good idea?

Jim Geib May 4th 05 03:01 AM

I have a Smith mill/lathe that I have a 1/2 hp D.C. motor and controler and
it works real well. I got the motor and controler from a place in Cestline,
Ohio http://stores.ebay.com/id=11818209&s...TRK:MEFS:MESST

They don't have a motor listed on ebay, but they do have a controler list
for $25.00. I was at there location Saturday and I think they had a couple
1/2 hp motors. They are a recycler so stock comes and goes. I think there
phone number is 419-683-3535. I have gotten a lot of stuff from them, both
from ebay and at there location.

JIm Geib
Mansfield, Ohio

oups.com...

jackK May 4th 05 04:36 AM

stag wrote:
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for putting a variable speed
motor controller on my little 110V mill/drill. The belts are a *******
to adjust for different speeds... it would sure be nice to just turn a
dial and still get reasonably good torque w/ a reasonable amount of
speed variablility. And, I'm doing a CNC conversion soon, so this would
really be a + (especially if it has an an analog input for adjusting
speed).

I've seen a lot of Variable Frequency Drivess on ebay for 3ph stuff...
wish I had a big mill with that kind of motor... but my mill/drill will
have to do for now.

What about 110V 1ph? What kind of motor controller and who are good
sources? Is this even a good idea?

I been researching the same thing for a benchtop lathe and have found a
few googling and a few in the yahoo groups for the 9x20 lathe group and
some in the lathemaster group.

They use lesson treadmill dc motor (2 hp inverter type) with a Hatachi
vfd type controler. I don't have the links handy, sorry

Jack

Rex B May 4th 05 03:15 PM

I recently bought a junk Atlas lathe that had a 2 HP DC motor and a big
variable speed controller attached to the side of the bench.
I have seen similar items go on ebay recently for about $150, sometimes
less.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Wayne Lundberg May 4th 05 06:25 PM

"stag" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for putting a variable speed
motor controller on my little 110V mill/drill. The belts are a

Noise! Power = noise. Look at any carbon conmutator motor such as on your
3/8 drill or shop vac or sewing machine motors. But since you will be
converting to NC, you should include servo control and a servo motor which
will give you nice, quiet, power under full load or not.

Wayne

william_b_noble May 5th 05 04:00 AM

If you switch to a DC motor, I have a suitable Minarik controllers for $35
to $55

contact me via my web --- www.wbnoble.com