Ed R.

Default Import Tax?

Does anyone happen to know whether there is an import tax or duty that would
be payable on the import of an old used milling machine from the UK (and, if
so, how much it is)? Thanks in advance. Ed R.

Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:56:12 -0400, the renowned "Ed R."
wrote:

Does anyone happen to know whether there is an import tax or duty that would
be payable on the import of an old used milling machine from the UK (and, if
so, how much it is)? Thanks in advance. Ed R.

Assuming you're in the US, it's all he

http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff/0310c84.pdf

(look around tariff item number 8459, as usual used is the same rate
as new.)

and here

http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff/0310gn.pdf

Looks like 3.3-4.2% maximum, unless the machine you're getting from
the UK happens to be *made* in one of the few naughty countries such
as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (column 2 is for them).
If it happens to be made in the US, Canada (or Israel etc.) it would
be free.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Ed Huntress

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

Here are the charges for my last 2,600 pound
shipment of anchors from Tunisia...

I'm going to resist the compulsion to ask you what you do with Tunisian
anchors. Yes, I am.

Furthermore, I'm not even going to ask you what the charges were for your
FIRST 2,600 pound shipment of anchors from Tunisia, nor how many of these
shipments you've been getting recently. 'Not even what they look like.
Nope...

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Glenn Ashmore

It came from shooting off my mouth over in r.b.cruising. I came up with
the brilliant idea of getting a bunch of us together to order a couple
of pallets of these super expensive, top rated sexy looking French
designed boat anchors. They are called "Spades" and West Marine was
charging an arm and a leg for them. We saved a bunch of money but
unfortunately as it was my idea I got to do all the work. At any rate I
have been selling Tunisian boat anchors for a couple of years now to
suplement the boat kitty. I get 4 or 5 shipments a year. Not bad for
no advertising other than a web site and shooting my mouth off on the
newsgroups. :-)

The most expensive one that I have sold was a 66 pound polished 316
Stainless for $1,600. Not a bad price considering the customer put it
on the end of 300' of 3/8 stainless chain at about $18/foot.

You can see a picture on my shameless commerce page. :-)

A wierd story: After the France/Iraq thing happened, a customer called
to cancel his order. Said he just couldn't buy any French products. I
mentioned that they were not made in France but Tunisia. Probably by
terrorist but definitely not French. He replied "Oh, OK send it on!"
Go figger. :-)

Ed Huntress wrote:

I'm going to resist the compulsion to ask you what you do with Tunisian
anchors. Yes, I am.

Furthermore, I'm not even going to ask you what the charges were for your
FIRST 2,600 pound shipment of anchors from Tunisia, nor how many of these
shipments you've been getting recently. 'Not even what they look like.
Nope...

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

John Flanagan wrote:

That's you! I didn't realize you were covertly plugging yourself on
your own website :^). Oh oh, typo, "so you can swing with more
confidence on a shorter * rode * in tight anchorages.".

http://www.spade-anchor-us.com/Why_a..._a_spade_.html

You've got to talk to your web designer, who did the website for you
:^)?

Me and Johnny Walker with help from Mr. Schweppes. :-)

I do need to go back over it.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:33:03 GMT, (John
Flanagan) pixelated:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:44:57 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

You can see a picture on my shameless commerce page. :-)

That's you! I didn't realize you were covertly plugging yourself on
your own website :^). Oh oh, typo, "so you can swing with more
confidence on a shorter * rode * in tight anchorages.".

http://www.spade-anchor-us.com/Why_a..._a_spade_.html

You've got to talk to your web designer, who did the website for you
:^)?

I'd love to redo it for him.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Ed R.

Thanks Spehro - it looks like 4.2% is right and thanks Glenn for the heads
up on the "we'll bleed you dry one way or another . . . " charges

wrote:

[...]

Info for manufacturers:

http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

http://www.speff.com

Fred

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:33:03 GMT, (John
Flanagan) scribed:

While not to be too confused... Isn't "scope" the amount of line you
put out vs "rode" which is the angle of the line you put out, as it
equates to flushness with the bottom and least stress you put on the
anchor to hold taught??

One time in the BVI, we put out a bit too much scope, but the rode was
fine due to currents... Went into dinner on Jost Van Dyke, and came
back to find our boat missing. Apparently some boat ran over our
scope when the tide came back in and they left pulling our anchor, and
about 4 other boats worth too... Must have lost our rode, as it was
shallow, but not that much...

We found our boat in short water about 500 yards away, and was fine
but not before we had to all help get the offending boats prop clear
of 4 different lines and we actually got our anchor back! It was still
attached and they had been motoring out for a bit before the prop
seized...

Close moorings, tide turns... All bets are off I guess!

ObTastless: While we were all down clearing the lines from their prop,
a silly crewmember decided to flush the head on top of us...Gross...

Best,

Freddie

wrote:

You can see a picture on my shameless commerce page. :-)

That's you! I didn't realize you were covertly plugging yourself on
your own website :^). Oh oh, typo, "so you can swing with more
confidence on a shorter * rode * in tight anchorages.".

http://www.spade-anchor-us.com/Why_a..._a_spade_.html

You've got to talk to your web designer, who did the website for you
:^)?

A wierd story: After the France/Iraq thing happened, a customer called
to cancel his order. Said he just couldn't buy any French products. I
mentioned that they were not made in France but Tunisia. Probably by
terrorist but definitely not French. He replied "Oh, OK send it on!"
Go figger. :-)

That is funny.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Glenn Ashmore

"Scope" is the ratio of line to depth + height of the chock or fairlead
above the water as in "I am on a 5:1 scope." Rode is the line itself as
in "I have out 150' of rode." If the depth of the water is 25' and the
bow is 5' above the water, 150' of rode is a 5:1 scope. A "road" is an
anchrage or harbor as in Hamton Roads.

Generally you can get by with a 3 or 4:1 scope with an all chain rode
and 5:1 with rope/chain rode in a protected anchorage. Maximum hold is
developed at about 7:1 on all chain and 8 or 9:1 on the typical rope
with 10'chain rode.

When you are selling anchors your brain gets cluttered with all sorts of
strange details. :-)

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:17:09 -0400, Fred wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:33:03 GMT,
(John
Flanagan) scribed:

While not to be too confused... Isn't "scope" the amount of line you
put out vs "rode" which is the angle of the line you put out, as it
equates to flushness with the bottom and least stress you put on the
anchor to hold taught??

I think scope is usually expressed as a anchor line length to water
depth ratio. Like 5:1 (good bottom and conditions) or 15:1 (poor
bottom or good bottom in higher winds and currents).

I've always understood scope to mean the amount of "rode"
that has been paid out (a length rather than a ratio), the
proper amount figured as a multiple of water depth as you
describe.

Ned Simmons

--
Glenn Ashmore