Glenn Cramond

Default Buccaneers

Do you know the high pitched sound a radio makes when it's not quite
tuned to a station? The high pitched noise that, in its annoyance,
takes you directly to the source to twiddle the knobs?

Well here's the bad news. If you don't protect your ears, you'll have
that sound in your ears all the time, and with an auto control that
turns the volume up when you're stressed and when you're in a quiet
place, and at nights when you are trying to go to sleep.

The condition is called tinnitus. There is no cure. The good news,
it's preventable!

Please, you younger indestructable blokes, wear hearing protection,
and more importantly, particularly the older members, make sure you
have the right equipment to allow that little guy, who loves to help
grandpa, to safely work in your shop.

I used to think that eye damage would be terrible, "if I was blind I
could not check out the girls!" Having tinnitus is worse. A bit like
standing in a cesspool up to your chin and hoping no one makes waves.

Glenn
www.metalbashatorium.com
In Jus Voco Spurius
Tim Williams

"Glenn Cramond" wrote in message
om...
Please, you younger indestructable blokes, wear hearing protection,

*Turns up Fear Factory* ;-)

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Carl West

Glenn Cramond wrote:

[...]

Glenn's right. Protect your ears. I'm 44, my ears have rung steady since I was about 37. Probably partially due to damage done in High School and College (very loud bands), and to a lot of hammering in the last ~28 years some of which was done without plugs or muffs. Protect your ears.

I miss silence. I don't have tinnitus as bad as some, but it's depressing as hell if I dwell on it. Mostly I get to forget about it by being busy. For the most part, tinnitus is as permanent as an amputation. Protect your ears.

If I'm hammering, or grinding, I find that I can do a better job if I'm wearing ear protection... I can hear better what the grinder is doing and I can hit the metal harder with the hammer because it doesn't hurt me to do so. Protect your ears.

There's probably some health hazard to doing this, but I've never had a problem:
An excellent makeshift earplug is a square of toilet paper accordion-folded (not rolled) to about the size of a cigarette filter, placed gently in the ear canal, then soaked with (clean) water. Leave enough paper sticking out so you can get it out.

YMMV.
Your ears are not shaped like mine.
I'm not a doctor.
I'm not a lawyer.
Don't be stupid.

Protect your ears.

If you try to 'reply' to this message without fixing the dot,
your reply will bounce. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

Please update your address books with my new, correct address.
Doug Goncz

I wear inexpensive full coverage muffs with a hard plastic shell and soft
cushions, that are filled with a bit of foam, for operating most of my hand
power tools like the drill, jigsaw, impact wrench, etc.

But not for the battery operated screwdriver or the drill press.

Yours,

Doug Goncz, Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA
Unpublished work Copyright 2003 Doug Goncz
Fair use and Usenet distribution without restriction or fee
Civil and criminal penalties for circumvention of any embedded encryption
pete brooks

Tim Williams wrote:
"Glenn Cramond" wrote in message
om...

Please, you younger indestructable blokes, wear hearing protection,

*Turns up Fear Factory* ;-)

It was Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield's _Tubular Bells_ for me. Not to mention
the '64 MGB driven at loud speeds and getting caught at the range with some guy
with a Ruger .44 just before I got my earguards on. (At least, I think it was
the MGB that caused my left ear to go sour before the right one....)

Pete Brooks

pete brooks

Bob Schmall wrote:
I've heard about a hearing aid that cancels out the tinnitus by producing a
sound of just the right frequency to "block" it. Senior moment--I can't
think of the technical term for this. I don't know if it's on the market,
but if it is I'll bet it sells for twice what the average aid costs, say
about $2,000.

It's called a "masking" device. Last I heard (circa '91) it used white noise
to do the deed. No idea on costs.

Pete Brooks

George

New medications as well. Though it probably is to a degree noise - related,
it is also a fact of life that our ears appear to have been designed (like a
few other body parts) for something closer to the old threescore and ten
than today's lifespans. Guess by the time the hair starts coming out of the
ear canal the ones supporting the otoliths start to deteriorate.

I'm deaf over 4000Hz where jets wind up myself -can't sue Uncle Sam, of
course - but I'm also the only one who can get a good blood pressure by
auscultation in an ambulance full of high-pitched road noise!

"pete brooks" wrote in message
Bob Schmall wrote:
I've heard about a hearing aid that cancels out the tinnitus by

producing a
sound of just the right frequency to "block" it. Senior moment--I can't
think of the technical term for this. I don't know if it's on the

market,
but if it is I'll bet it sells for twice what the average aid costs, say
about $2,000.

It's called a "masking" device. Last I heard (circa '91) it used white

noise
to do the deed. No idea on costs.

HarryM

I took a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum to the range one day in 1964. Fired 5
shots without ear protection. The ringing hasn't stopped since. But I've
learned to live with it. Don't hear the telephone or doorbell, but the dog
barks to alert me. But it's not as bad as going blind. I do wear ear
protection when using the chain saw or the thickness planer, and I don't
shoot anymore. harrym

[...]

todd

"George" wrote in message

I'm deaf over 4000Hz where jets wind up myself -can't sue Uncle Sam, of
course - but I'm also the only one who can get a good blood pressure by
auscultation in an ambulance full of high-pitched road noise!

Just checking...did anyone but me have to look up "auscultation"?

todd

Chris

Silvan wrote in message ...
Glenn Cramond wrote:

Of late, it seems to have settled in for good. I _do_ wear hearing
protectors in the shop, while mowing, while weed eating, while whacking on
an anvil, and I have been for years (and my kids too, yes), but I think the
damage must be coming from the truck (tractor-trailer) I drive.

Not much I can do about that. I don't think it's legal to wear hearing
protection while driving. I'm supposed to be able to hear emergency
vehicles, even though I can't hear a damn thing inside that truck except
the engine and the turbo and the fan and the incredible wind noise.

Glenn,

It MIGHT be legal, and even safe. I would check into it.

I say it might be safe because I ride a motorcycle and wear hearing
protection - ear plugs inside my helmet. The prolonged high-pitched
wind noise is one of the most damaging frequencies for your ears. It
also drowns out other noises. I find that when I wear ear plugs I can
actually hear most sounds BETTER (my own engine, car horns, etc). Ear
plugs tend to block out more of the higher pitched sounds (which are
the most damaging) and let through the lower pitched sounds (horns).
And even though sirens are high pitched, they are usually loud enough
that I don't have any problem hearing them through the ear plugs.

The ear plugs have the added benefit of making me feel warmer (no,
really!). It seems that on chilly days, the sound of the wind has the
psychological effect of making it feel even colder. I know it's all
in my head, but that's were it really counts!

-Chris

Gunner

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:24:45 GMT, pete brooks
wrote:

Please, you younger indestructable blokes, wear hearing protection,

Huh?

Gunner, pushing 50, with serious holes in his freq ranges. Big holes...

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Silvan

Chris wrote:

It MIGHT be legal, and even safe. I would check into it.

I did, actually. Spent a couple hours surfing yesterday, and could neither
confirm nor deny. The FMCSA web site was unavailable. Sometimes things
that are unavailable become so eventually, and some sites just never, ever
work for me. grizzly.com for example, *always* times out. Something with
my firewall maybe. No clue.

And even though sirens are high pitched, they are usually loud enough
that I don't have any problem hearing them through the ear plugs.

I can't hear sirens anyway. Trucks are LOUD.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16465 Approximate word count: 493950

Silvan

HarryM wrote:

I took a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum to the range one day in 1964. Fired 5
shots without ear protection. The ringing hasn't stopped since. But I've

Yeah, I can relate to that one too. Took my .45 ACP to the range one day.
Forgot my ears. The range is a good distance away, so I figured "it won't
hurt this one time."

I fired off one shot and came home. The ringing from that one *did* stop
though. Or at least faded to practically nothing. I found it hard to
believe that people used to shoot those damn things all day long in an age
before anyone had even invented hearing protectors.

Really drives home the point of what total BS movies like Die Hard are.
Shooting inside an HVAC duct while talking on a radio. Yeah right.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
did you say something?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16466 Approximate word count: 493980

pete brooks

Gary Coffman wrote:

The most popular belief about tinnitus is that it is due to damaged
auditory nerves. But I recently read a report where researchers placed
a sensitive microphone in the ear canal of a sufferer and actually
recorded the sound. Their theory is that it is a mechanical problem in
the ear which actually generates the noise.

Be careful--there's way more than one forme of tinnitus. I had "pulsitile
tinnitus" in both ears (worse in the right--the left ringing tended to mask the
pulse) to the point where I only needed a watch to get my pulse. After a bunch
of tests, the closest guess was otosclerosis, where the stirrup bone (stapes
for the latinophiles) is frozen to the middle ear by a spongy to hard bone
mass. An interesting bit of microsurgery can clean things up, and I had to
take my pulse the normal way.

Turns out the pulsitile tinnitus was a combination of a really good bone-to ear
connectiuon, and the fact that external sounds were getting grounded out.
Can't remember if the pulse came back the two times my left ear prothesis
failed--if you are allergic to stainless--actually nickle--*tell the docs and
make them research it*. Most people think that nickle allergy is strictly a
skin condition, but I have the remnants of the anvil bone and a stainless
implant to tell me otherwise. Titanium works OK (when installed
correctly--failure number 1), as does the plastic/ceramic stuff they use when
the middle ear bonework needs a forklift upgrade.

Pete Brooks

Bob Schmall

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message
.. .
On 15 Jul 2003 14:07:48 -0700, (Glenn Cramond)

wrote:
The condition is called tinnitus. There is no cure. The good news,
it's preventable!

Well, it isn't always preventable. Exposure to loud noises is thought to
be one way to get it, or at least aggravate it, but there are other

causes.
Severe ear infection as a child is one common cause, as are high blood
pressure, diabetes, etc.

I've suffered with it most of my life. My hearing range still tests very
good, even in the higher registers, but that damn ringing never stops.
I usually mentally tune it out and don't even think about it, but since
starting reading this thread, it has been in the front of my

consciousness,
and annoying as hell.

The most popular belief about tinnitus is that it is due to damaged
auditory nerves. But I recently read a report where researchers placed
a sensitive microphone in the ear canal of a sufferer and actually
recorded the sound. Their theory is that it is a mechanical problem in
the ear which actually generates the noise. If they're right, it may
be possible some day to surgically repair the problem and get rid
of the ringing.

Gary

Too late for me at 60, but that's good news for coming generations. The
cause of my tinnitus would be hard to trace-- high fever as a kid, drill
sergeant in the days when the Army said "ear plugs?", raced cars. The last
time I fired a rifle without ear protection all the sirens of hell let
loose.

Bob

Silvan

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

The Bose units ARE expensive, but for everyday use and quality, it may
be worth it if they're legal.

I really need to find out. I have a vague notion that canal plugs might be
legal, but headphone types are not.

I'm continuing to look into it. I've been wanting to play with some noise
cancellation goodies ever since I first read about the technology.

Now if somebody would come up with SWMBO cancelling headphones...

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16501 Approximate word count: 495030

chem

Default Buccaneers (getting OT, sorry)

Argh! I thought it was only my bf who listened to Pink Floyd *and* Mike
Oldfield. I had only a vague idea who Pink Floyd was when we met, and
still have no clue who Mike Oldfield is. I'm coming around on Pink
Floyd. A few have the songs have really grown on me (and has anyone
heard Luther Right and the Wrongs doing The Wall, Pt 1? I love it, bf
says that Syd Barrett must be turning over in his grave).

I think my causes were being too cool to wear ear protection through 6
years of punk rock band practices and shows, and then not wearing ear
protection while working with a die grinder for hundreds of hours. :P
I'm not deaf, but I'm getting a little hard of hearing.

chem

pete brooks wrote:

Tim Williams wrote:

"Glenn Cramond" wrote in message
om...

Please, you younger indestructable blokes, wear hearing protection,

*Turns up Fear Factory* ;-)

It was Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield's _Tubular Bells_ for me. Not to
mention the '64 MGB driven at loud speeds and getting caught at the
range with some guy with a Ruger .44 just before I got my earguards on.
(At least, I think it was the MGB that caused my left ear to go sour
before the right one....)

Pete Brooks

jim rozen

In article , Silvan says...

Now if somebody would come up with SWMBO cancelling headphones...

Heh. This reminds me of the story about the old man who
was certifiably stone deaf.

But could hear the word 'whiskey' if it were uttered at
teh barest of whisper, through three closed doors, two
floors away.

Jim

please reply to:

chem

IOW?

I was going to ignore it too... But I had to jump on the bandwagon
too... I used http://www.m-w.com/home.htm because I couldn't even find
it in the old dictionary beside the computer.

I also googled it and came up with:
http://www.music.mcgill.ca/auscultat...cultation.html
Worth a visit just to hear the difference between "normal vesicular
sound" (clear lungs) and "Emphysema" ("a prolonged expiratory phase,
diminished breath sounds, and crackles. This combination can be often
heard in patients with emphysema").

chem (who's about to lose her posting privileges for so many OT posts...
I don't have a lot to write about metalworking right now. Just
scoping out the territory. I'm beginning a machining course in the
fall. And that's my offical intro to the group. Well, I guess I did
that a couple of months ago, but then I kinda stopped coming around due
to a combination of being busy and getting sick of battling with outlook
express)

Tim Williams wrote:

"todd" wrote in message

Just checking...did anyone but me have to look up "auscultation"?

Well.. I was just going to ignore it... Gets out Webster's

Huh... IOW what a stethescope is used to aid in...

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Mark Rand

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:53:01 -0300, chem wrote:

It was Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield's _Tubular Bells_ for me. Not to
mention the '64 MGB driven at loud speeds and getting caught at the
range with some guy with a Ruger .44 just before I got my earguards on.
(At least, I think it was the MGB that caused my left ear to go sour
before the right one....)

Pete Brooks

I was amused to see a council official with a frown and a sound meter at a
Motorhead concert about 18 years ago. I thought that the sound levels were
about right (112dB), but then I had been working on a power station site the
week before and as soon as I walked into the hall I reached into my pocket for
my plug type ear defenders :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
ATP

wrote:

I was amused to see a council official with a frown and a sound meter
at a Motorhead concert about 18 years ago. I thought that the sound
levels were about right (112dB), but then I had been working on a
power station site the week before and as soon as I walked into the
hall I reached into my pocket for my plug type ear defenders :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

"But you don't understand- this amp has a dial that goes up to 11"........

Dominick Fiumara

My ears ring too.....I just wish I could answer them ;o)
Cheers!
--
Dominick Fiumare Email:
Facilities & Services Voice: 505-646-2529

John Fletcher

A lady on the production line in a factory where I used to work
(electronic assembly, not a noisy environment) had a constant "popping"
noise in her ears. It was at about heart rate, don't know whether it was
synchronised. If you placed your ear next to hers, you could hear it
too. Must have been hell to live with. The noise, not the lady.

But I recently read a report where researchers placed
a sensitive microphone in the ear canal of a sufferer and actually
recorded the sound. Their theory is that it is a mechanical problem in
the ear which actually generates the noise. If they're right, it may
be possible some day to surgically repair the problem and get rid
of the ringing.

Gary

--
John Fletcher
Jim Stewart

John Fletcher wrote:
A lady on the production line in a factory where I used to work
(electronic assembly, not a noisy environment) had a constant "popping"
noise in her ears. It was at about heart rate, don't know whether it was
synchronised. If you placed your ear next to hers, you could hear it
too. Must have been hell to live with. The noise, not the lady.

I've had a hair in my ear canal rub against my eardrum
with similar results.

jim rozen

In article , John says...

A lady on the production line in a factory where I used to work
(electronic assembly, not a noisy environment) had a constant "popping"
noise in her ears. It was at about heart rate, don't know whether it was
synchronised. If you placed your ear next to hers, you could hear it
too.

Was she attractive? What a pickup line: "could I sit here a while
and listen to the popping in your eardrum?"

Jim

please reply to:

Spehro Pefhany

On 23 Jul 2003 12:40:11 -0700, the renowned jim rozen
wrote:

In article , John says...

A lady on the production line in a factory where I used to work
(electronic assembly, not a noisy environment) had a constant "popping"
noise in her ears. It was at about heart rate, don't know whether it was
synchronised. If you placed your ear next to hers, you could hear it
too.

Was she attractive? What a pickup line: "could I sit here a while
and listen to the popping in your eardrum?"

Now, let me listen to see if it's the same rhythm as your heart..

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Gerald Miller

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:59:53 GMT, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On 23 Jul 2003 12:40:11 -0700, the renowned jim rozen
wrote:

In article , John says...

A lady on the production line in a factory where I used to work
(electronic assembly, not a noisy environment) had a constant "popping"
noise in her ears. It was at about heart rate, don't know whether it was
synchronised. If you placed your ear next to hers, you could hear it
too.

Was she attractive? What a pickup line: "could I sit here a while
and listen to the popping in your eardrum?"

Now, let me listen to see if it's the same rhythm as your heart..

But I have to put my hand over your heart to verify the beat pattern.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

jim rozen

In article , Gerald says...

A lady on the production line in a factory where I used to work
(electronic assembly, not a noisy environment) had a constant "popping"
noise in her ears. It was at about heart rate, don't know whether it was
synchronised. If you placed your ear next to hers, you could hear it
too.

Was she attractive? What a pickup line: "could I sit here a while
and listen to the popping in your eardrum?"

Now, let me listen to see if it's the same rhythm as your heart..

But I have to put my hand over your heart to verify the beat pattern.

LOL. You're not thinking straight here...

Jim

please reply to: