Jack

Default where to find a rectangular cube for casting ?

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about where to find a
approx. 10" h x 5" w x 4" deep solid cube (no lines) so I can make a
mold of it and cast resins or whatever into it ??

The only thing I could find are some trophy cubes (that are hollow);
these are a pain to try and seal..

Thanks!

jack
Ron Thompson

How about a chunk of tree?

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast

http://www.plansandprojects.com

"A man who works with his mind, heart, and billfold is an Entrepreneur"
Joe Martin, owner of Sherline Products, Inc.
"Jack" wrote in message
om...
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about where to find a
approx. 10" h x 5" w x 4" deep solid cube (no lines) so I can make a
mold of it and cast resins or whatever into it ??

The only thing I could find are some trophy cubes (that are hollow);
these are a pain to try and seal..

Thanks!

jack

Stan Stocker

Hi Jack,

How about making it out of plywood? You could glue and screw (or air
nail with a brad gun), fill any defects, sand, and finish with a high
gloss finish. A couple of sandings between coats of finish and you
should be able to create a very smooth surface.

You might want to weight the box before closing it up so it isn't
excessively bouyant while making the mold.

Cheers,
Stan

Jack wrote:
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about where to find a
approx. 10" h x 5" w x 4" deep solid cube (no lines) so I can make a
mold of it and cast resins or whatever into it ??

The only thing I could find are some trophy cubes (that are hollow);
these are a pain to try and seal..

Thanks!

jack

Ron Thompson

I didn't mean for this to sound smart-assed. A piece of firewood is a lot
cheaper than store bought lumber. Cut and sand to shape, maybe a little
bondo to smooth it, and paint it.

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
USA

http://www.plansandprojects.com

"A man who works with his mind, heart, and billfold is an Entrepreneur"
Joe Martin, owner of Sherline Products, Inc.
"Ron Thompson" wrote in message
How about a chunk of tree?

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
USA

http://www.plansandprojects.com

"A man who works with his mind, heart, and billfold is an Entrepreneur"
Joe Martin, owner of Sherline Products, Inc.
"Jack" wrote in message
om...
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about where to find a
approx. 10" h x 5" w x 4" deep solid cube (no lines) so I can make a
mold of it and cast resins or whatever into it ??

The only thing I could find are some trophy cubes (that are hollow);
these are a pain to try and seal..

Thanks!

jack

Fred Renner

Do you want to mold a smooth-surfaced right rectangular prism or just a
rough block for further work? If you just want a block mold, visit a
commercial cooking supply store and look for the appropriate size baking pan
or mold. Some bread pans are about the right size and they even have plenty
of draft for unmolding.

If you want a straight-sided block you might be able to find a suitable
plastic storage box in an office or home supply store. It should still have
a wee bit of draft (a good thing) because it had to come out of its mold.
Fill it with sand to help it hold shape while you cast your mold around it.

Fred

om...