DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/104628-drill-chuck-lathe-chuck-drill-press-question.html)

[email protected] April 29th 05 12:34 AM

Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question

Hello;

I need to chuck a peice of 1.25" ID brass tubing into my drill press.
Is there a way to do this? Do they make a mini taperless lathe
chuck(that I can place into my existing drill chuck) which will handle
this large diameter stock?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Robin S. April 29th 05 12:56 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello;

I need to chuck a peice of 1.25" ID brass tubing into my drill press.
Is there a way to do this? Do they make a mini taperless lathe
chuck(that I can place into my existing drill chuck) which will handle
this large diameter stock?

Any ideas?

If you have a lathe, you could turn an arbor for the brass tube where one
diameter would fit into your chuck while the second diameter would fit into
your brass tube. You could either create a slight taper to hold the brass
tube, or use some small screws around the perifery. A heavy torque load
would probably favour the screws...

Naturally you'll want to turn the arbor in a single setup to keep your
runout to a minimum.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the tube? Perhaps using it
with some abrasive paste to cut a hole in a piece of glass/tile?

Regards,

Robin

Koz April 29th 05 01:07 AM

wrote:

Hello;

I need to chuck a peice of 1.25" ID brass tubing into my drill press.
Is there a way to do this? Do they make a mini taperless lathe
chuck(that I can place into my existing drill chuck) which will handle
this large diameter stock?

Any ideas?

Thanks

How accurate does it need to be? One option is an expanding mandrel on
the inside. I know they are available cheaply in about that size
although the shank would need to be turned down to fit your drill chuck.
At MSC they're listed under expanding collets. I couldn't find the
1.25" in cheap china quality but the better quality was $ 39.

Koz