Tom

Default California proposes requiring bullet ID numbers....

California proposes requiring bullet ID numbers

By Adam Tanner

"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California's attorney general
introduced pioneering legislation on Tuesday that would require all
bullets sold in the nation's most populous state to bear tiny
identification numbers.

The bill, aimed at helping investigators solve crime,
would require ammunition vendors to submit sales records to a state
registry starting in 2007. Anyone bringing bullets into the state not
bearing the tiny serial number etched by laser could be punished for up
to a year in prison.

"We are losing too many of our young people to seemingly
random shootings and anonymous killers," California Attorney General
Bill Lockyer said in a statement. The bill "will strip criminals of
their anonymity and give law enforcement evidence it can use to quickly
and effectively solve more gun crimes."

The legislation -- which could become the first of its
kind nationwide -- calls for California to assess fees not to exceed
one-half of one cent per bullet to fund the program....."

Does this mean that those of you roll their own will have to serial
number
them, too? :-)

Tom

The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work
and then they get elected and prove it.
P J O'Rourke
Cydrome Leader

Tom wrote:
[...]

So all the thugs will make sure to follow that law and make sure they buy serialized bullets? California needs to crack off and sink into the ocean now.
JRJohnson

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Does that mean that all the shot in shotgun shells will have lasered id
numbers? Will they all be the same number, or numbered in consecutive
series? And will it cost 1/2 cent per pellet? #9 skeet shot would
disappear in a hurry!!

Regards, JRJ

John Chase

Tom wrote:
California proposes requiring bullet ID numbers

By Adam Tanner

"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California's attorney general
introduced pioneering legislation on Tuesday that would require all
bullets sold in the nation's most populous state to bear tiny
identification numbers.

The bill, aimed at helping investigators solve crime,
would require ammunition vendors to submit sales records to a state
registry starting in 2007. Anyone bringing bullets into the state not
bearing the tiny serial number etched by laser could be punished for up
to a year in prison.

I wonder where on the bullet the serial number would be? Probably wouldn't
survive a trip down the barrel without being rubbed off the side, and the powder
burn would probably obscure it on the base. That leaves the nose and/or ogive,
both of which endure stress when entering the target.

And we thought Mayor Daley (Chicago) was f***ed up as a football bat.

"We are losing too many of our young people to seemingly
random shootings and anonymous killers," California Attorney General
Bill Lockyer said in a statement.

Seems a natural consequence of outlawing self-defense.

The bill "will strip criminals of
their anonymity and give law enforcement evidence it can use to quickly
and effectively solve more gun crimes."

Right. And I still have some oceanfront property for sale in Leadville, Colorado.

The legislation -- which could become the first of its
kind nationwide -- calls for California to assess fees not to exceed
one-half of one cent per bullet to fund the program....."

Does this mean that those of you roll their own will have to serial
number
them, too? :-)

Tom

The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work
and then they get elected and prove it.
P J O'Rourke

Tom

JRJohnson wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Can one presume that shotgun ammo is exempt as shotguns don't fire
bullets?

Tom

The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't
work and then they get elected and prove it.
P J O'Rourke

Tony

Yes, and all bullet molds must be serialized and licensed. And all reloading
bullets must be registered when they are brought into the state. And anyone
who transfers ammunition must submit a 5 part report.

"JRJohnson" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Don Bruder

In article ,
Ignoramus21174 wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:06:24 +1200, Tom wrote:
Does that mean that all the shot in shotgun shells will have lasered id
numbers? Will they all be the same number, or numbered in consecutive
series? And will it cost 1/2 cent per pellet? #9 skeet shot would
disappear in a hurry!!

Regards, JRJ

Can one presume that shotgun ammo is exempt as shotguns don't fire
bullets?

No. The baby killing shotgun pellets that cannot be IDed are only
needed for drive by shooters (honest people do not need unidentifiable
bullets), and therefore will be banned.

Also, the bullets that deform upon impact are designed to skirt the
intent of the law and therefore need to be banned.

Hmmm... That would be most of 'em... Particularly the most-sold hunting
rounds, like .22LR, .30-06, .30-30, and .270, never mind the REALLY
"fun" stuff like 7mm Remington Mag, the bajillions of rounds of 7.62,
and... Oh, forget it... It'd be a shorter, simpler list to just name
bullets that *DON'T* deform on impact.

The bullets that retain the ID and do not deform upon impact are the
most dangerous kind, armor piercing cop killing bullets, and also need
to be banned.

Serial-numbered bullets... Sheesh... What stupidity are these ****ing
pinheads I keep voting against going to come up with next?!? Maybe it
really *IS* time for me to bail out of this nutbar state. I've seen
fewer flakes, fruits, and nuts in a bowl of granola.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Gunner

On 27 Apr 2005 03:34:09 GMT, Ignoramus21174
wrote:

[...]

You forgot to turn use the sarcasm/on sarcasm/off tokens.

Some here would actually believe what you wrote and not spot the
conclusion.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Gunner

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 04:55:32 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus21174 wrote:

[...]

This also means no more surplus ammo. Unless someone is willing to
open spam cans of X39 and pull the bullets, mark em, reseat em and
repackage..

Right.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Larry Jaques

On 27 Apr 2005 03:34:09 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus21174
spake:

[...]

And with that one post, you entirely lived up to your moniker.

P.S: Guns & bullets don't kill people, people do. Fix the criminals.

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance

azotic

wrote:

[...]

Opposition from the necrophillia lobby will kill the proposal.

Best Regards
Tom.

Tom Gardner

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

I have the answer for ALL gun related issues! In order to buy ammo, a
person must answer three questions: 1. Who is your congressman? 2.
Measure a line on a paper to the nearest 1/32" with a tape measure. 3.
Name three states and their capitals.

I'll bet anything that not one murder took place by a person that could
answer those questions! As far as reloading, I'd also bet that no murders
have been committed by reloaders...and if murders were committed under those
circumstances then those people probably deserved it.

Larry Jaques

On 27 Apr 2005 14:36:57 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus2977
spake:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:25:43 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On 27 Apr 2005 03:34:09 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus21174
spake:

The bullets that retain the ID and do not deform upon impact are the
most dangerous kind, armor piercing cop killing bullets, and also need
to be banned.

And with that one post, you entirely lived up to your moniker.

That was sarcasm... I am, in fact, a member of the NRA.

OK. As Gunner said, perhaps you should have put a sarcasm disclaimer
on it.

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
yourname

kind, armor piercing cop killing bullets, and also need
to be banned.

Serial-numbered bullets... Sheesh... What stupidity are these ****ing
pinheads I keep voting against going to come up with next?!? Maybe it
really *IS* time for me to bail out of this nutbar state. I've seen
fewer flakes, fruits, and nuts in a bowl of granola.

This also means no more surplus ammo. Unless someone is willing to
open spam cans of X39 and pull the bullets, mark em, reseat em and
repackage..

I can see the help wanted ad now, ...good eyesight, bring own sharpie....

One wonders why this idea got out of his head, or past his handlers. ,
One wonders who this person surrounds themselves with that nobody
laughed out loud in the meeting.

I remember reading about putting some type of micro tags in explosives
[or potential explosives]to track it by lot for things like Oklahoma
City. Seemed non intrusive, but haven't heard about it since.

If tracking bullets used in crimes is a priority, the way to do it is to
go to the ammo company, say 'how can we do this'. Odds are they would
come up with a viable solution, fearing lunacy like this.

I believe in gun control, but when you see this kind of stupidity, you
understand why the NRA is the NRA....
Koz

yourname wrote:

[...]

Maybe it would work...just think of all the bad guys who would end up
shootin themselves as they try to file the serial numbers off their
bullets

Is curious though that the same conservative groups that appear (and no,
it's not all of em) to support national ID cards, wire taps without
court orders, and so much of the other BS to track terrorist crimes
draws the line at tracking their ammo. I guess as long as it's someone
else who has to have rights violated, it's perfectly ok.

Meanwhile, the borders leak like a sieve.

Koz

Don Bruder

In article ,
Koz wrote:

Is curious though that the same conservative groups that appear (and no,
it's not all of em) to support national ID cards, wire taps without
court orders, and so much of the other BS to track terrorist crimes
draws the line at tracking their ammo. I guess as long as it's someone
else who has to have rights violated, it's perfectly ok.

So it would seem... (And I'm STILL trying to figure out the difference
between "conservative" and "liberal". I oppose *ALL* the items you
mention above, yet I keep seeing people calling me conservative.)

Meanwhile, the borders leak like a sieve.

The what leak like a who? Ummm... Pardon my ignorance, but what borders?
You'd have a hard time convincing me that we actually HAVE any, seeing
as how the illegals seem to come and go pretty much at will. A couple of
checkpoints here and there, sure, but BORDERS? As in "a physical or
otherwise boundary that nobody is supposed to cross in the "inbound"
direction"? HA! It is to laugh... The USA hasn't had one of those in...
Well, now that I think of it, I don't think we've *EVER* had an actual
border. A few lines that essentially say "Now leaving USA/Now Entering
Canada/Mexico", but never have we maintained a "border" in the sense of
an actual "DO NOT CROSS UNDER PENALTY OF LAW" dividing line between here
and there that was anything more than symbolic.

This is something that needs to change, and change IMMEDIATELY.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
DeepDiver

"Tom" wrote in message
California proposes requiring bullet ID numbers

By Adam Tanner

"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California's attorney general
introduced pioneering legislation on Tuesday that would require all
bullets sold in the nation's most populous state to bear tiny
identification numbers.

The bill, aimed at helping investigators solve crime

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^

B.S.!!!
This bill is aimed at circumventing the Second Amendment and disarming
law-abiding citizens.

- Michael

Gunner

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:20:10 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
California proposes requiring bullet ID numbers

By Adam Tanner

"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California's attorney general
introduced pioneering legislation on Tuesday that would require all
bullets sold in the nation's most populous state to bear tiny
identification numbers.

The bill, aimed at helping investigators solve crime

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^

B.S.!!!
This bill is aimed at circumventing the Second Amendment and disarming
law-abiding citizens.

- Michael

Yes indeed. When you make regulations so onerous that they cannot be
met, it is a de facto ban.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:59:12 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
California proposes requiring bullet ID numbers

By Adam Tanner

"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California's attorney general
introduced pioneering legislation on Tuesday that would require all
bullets sold in the nation's most populous state to bear tiny
identification numbers.

The bill, aimed at helping investigators solve crime

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^

B.S.!!!
This bill is aimed at circumventing the Second Amendment and disarming
law-abiding citizens.

- Michael

Yes indeed. When you make regulations so onerous that they cannot be
met, it is a de facto ban.

Here in Oregon, we have two bills coming up which would limit law
abiding gun owners. From the JCSA Sporter Vol. 05-04:

--snip--
SB 335 would allow local school districts to gut the state firearms
peemption law and ban the possession of all firearms by Concealed
Handgun Licensees for any reason on school property, or where any
school-sponsored event is taking place.

SB 954 is a gun-tax bill, which aims to make up shortfalls in parts of
the state budted on the backs of law abiding gun owners. It increases
the fees for fingerprinting a Concealed Handgun License applicant
(from $15 to $22) and for transferring a firearm under Oregon's
instant-check system (from $10 to $25). Please contact your State
Senators and urge them to oppose SB 335 and SB 954.
--snip--

You can bet I will.

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Charles Spitzer

wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

i can't find a link to the original story at reuters.com. can anyone verify
this isn't a troll?

jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

SB 954 is a gun-tax bill, which aims to make up shortfalls in parts of
the state budted on the backs of law abiding gun owners. It increases
the fees for fingerprinting a Concealed Handgun License applicant
(from $15 to $22) and for transferring a firearm under Oregon's
instant-check system (from $10 to $25). Please contact your State
Senators and urge them to oppose SB 335 and SB 954.

The republicans are simply trying to raise your taxes just like
they raise all the other taxes. This should come as no suprise.
Somebody has to pay for the war in iraq. We're all just going to
have to get over this and get on with life.

Jim

please reply to:
Todd Rich

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Larry Jaques says...

SB 954 is a gun-tax bill, which aims to make up shortfalls in parts of
the state budted on the backs of law abiding gun owners. It increases
the fees for fingerprinting a Concealed Handgun License applicant
(from $15 to $22) and for transferring a firearm under Oregon's
instant-check system (from $10 to $25). Please contact your State
Senators and urge them to oppose SB 335 and SB 954.

The republicans are simply trying to raise your taxes just like
they raise all the other taxes. This should come as no suprise.
Somebody has to pay for the war in iraq. We're all just going to
have to get over this and get on with life.

Jim

Knee jerk much? First off, individual state taxes don't go for that, it
is federal. Second, the bill is actually a current bill as per the Oregon
State website, and is sponsored by the judiciary committee, who's members
Sen. Ginny Burdick, Chair D
Sen. Charles Starr, Vice-Chair R
Sen. Roger Beyer R
Sen. Floyd Prozanski D
Sen. Charlie Ringo D
Sen. Vicki Walker D
Sen. Doug Whitsett R

Notice a 4 to 3 leaning in the Democratic party membership?

jim rozen

In article , Todd Rich says...

Notice a 4 to 3 leaning in the Democratic party membership?

Those are the sponsors. *All* of them vote on the bill.
Post up who votes, and how they vote. Then we'll talk.

Jim

please reply to:
Todd Rich

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Todd Rich says...

Notice a 4 to 3 leaning in the Democratic party membership?

Those are the sponsors. *All* of them vote on the bill.
Post up who votes, and how they vote. Then we'll talk.

Jim

Well a cursory search reveals that the committee chair introduced the bill
and she is a Dem. Given that you couldn't even figure out that states
don't fund the federal military, that is the last of the free research.
If you really want to know the vote, my rate for research is $45/hr. It
shouldn't take long, but my minimum is 2 hours, and I won't start until
the check clears.

please reply to:

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:46:02 -0700, the inscrutable "Charles Spitzer"
spake:

.. .

wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Which one, Oregon's or California's?

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/news/042605_nw_bullets.html bullets
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...n175406D48.DTL

http://www.leg.state.or.us/browna/ne...er01_28_05.pdf SB 335

-
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Don Bruder

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques says...

SB 954 is a gun-tax bill, which aims to make up shortfalls in parts of
the state budted on the backs of law abiding gun owners. It increases
the fees for fingerprinting a Concealed Handgun License applicant
(from $15 to $22) and for transferring a firearm under Oregon's
instant-check system (from $10 to $25). Please contact your State
Senators and urge them to oppose SB 335 and SB 954.

The republicans are simply trying to raise your taxes just like
they raise all the other taxes. This should come as no suprise.
Somebody has to pay for the war in iraq. We're all just going to
have to get over this and get on with life.

Jim

No, Jim, we're going to have to step up, draw our own "line in the
sand", and say ***** YOU! NO MORE!* in a manner that will tell the
politicians that they're going to have no option but to fund the war out
of their own pockets, since nobody but them wants it.

Your method is indistinguishable from laying down and dying.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
jim rozen

In article , Don Bruder says...

No, Jim, we're going to have to step up, draw our own "line in the
sand", and say ***** YOU! NO MORE!* in a manner that will tell the
politicians that they're going to have no option but to fund the war out
of their own pockets, since nobody but them wants it.

OK. Now we're getting somewhere.

The point is, every time somebody raises taxes, it isn't a plot
to take the second amendment out of the constitution.
And that one has to be very circumspect about the ideology.
Republicans control the house, senate, and executive branches
at the moment. How come taxes keep going *up* then?

Hint: they want your money too.

Jim

please reply to: