DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Magnetic chuck weirdness (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/10425-re-magnetic-chuck-weirdness.html)

Mike Graham July 12th 03 12:26 PM

Magnetic chuck weirdness

In article , Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I would surmise that if you use a bar magnet the flux lines have to
flair out to get back around to the other pole. The chuck is a lot of
narrow horse shoe magnets side by side so the flux just makes a short
loop through the surface of what it is holding to get to the other pole.

But that is just an opinion and you know what opinions are like... :-)

Hmm... I like it. Now to figure out why the special v-blocks and parallels
work... I suppose since they have narrow slices of magnetic material
sandwiched between non-magnetic, then the flux has to continue up and do its
looping over the top of the vee block. So I suppose if this is all correct
that they would work the best when the iron/brass strips were lined up with
the strips in the chuck.

http://www.metalmangler.com| Caledon, Ontario, Canada

Dave Martindale July 13th 03 08:17 AM

Magnetic chuck weirdness

writes:

Hmm... I like it. Now to figure out why the special v-blocks and parallels
work... I suppose since they have narrow slices of magnetic material
sandwiched between non-magnetic, then the flux has to continue up and do its
looping over the top of the vee block. So I suppose if this is all correct
that they would work the best when the iron/brass strips were lined up with
the strips in the chuck.

That makes sense. If the iron strips in the V-block are at right angle
to the iron strips in the chuck, the V-block would provide a magnetic
circuit connecting the alternating N and S poles in the chuck. When the
V-block is oriented the same way as the chuck surface, the magnetic
field has to go all the way up to the workpiece to make a "complete
circuit". And for the strongest field, the iron in the V-block should
be directly over the iron in the chuck, if both have the same spacing.

Dave