Old July 11th 03, 06:01 PM
Treefrog

Default 3.5 horse Brigs repair help!

Wayne,

Noted your post B&S engines and I'm in a similar situation. Bought an
edger at a garage sale, had corrosion in the fuel tank from sitting too
long without being used. I cleaned out the carb, replaced the fuel pick up
and diaphram but it still won't run and I can't find any more jets to
clean!

Noted your comments about the fuel tank (I have the small tank - 1 qt)
having the duel level and bowl inside the tank. The bowl is there but
corroded. I can't see any fuel pickup that would fit in there so I wasn't
sure of how it worked. Am I missing something? I'm guessing I need a new
fuel tank.

I'll strip out the carb again and maybe take photo's - there's a steel pin
(?) about 1" long that I don't understand, it's not listed in the part
list. And what's a "welch plug" p/n 223472 - are the main jet's in there?

Thanks for any assistance.

M - Houston, TX

My dad bought a sprayer with a 3.5 horse engine at an auction. I have
been trying to get it to start. I can make it run for a few seconds by
spraying starting fluid down the throat of the carborator. I took the
carb off, it has a plastic tube with a filter on it going into the
tank. I cleaned this tube and sprayed cleaner through the carborator.
It did not help it to start. I have put a new spark plug on it also.
Is there an adjustment on the carborator I can make?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old July 11th 03, 09:10 PM
Jon Elson

Treefrog wrote:

Wayne,

Noted your post B&S engines and I'm in a similar situation. Bought an
edger at a garage sale, had corrosion in the fuel tank from sitting too
long without being used. I cleaned out the carb, replaced the fuel pick up
and diaphram but it still won't run and I can't find any more jets to
clean!

Before any more work, just get the choke closed and put a pretty liberal
supply of gas on and around the choke plate and try to start it. If you get
nothing after a couple of pulls, it isn't a fuel system problem. Don't
assume
that the corrosion indicates it is entirely a fuel problem. Many of these
small engines have magnetos die on them, and they still may produce some
small spark when you try to test it, but it won't jump the plug gap under
compression.

Jon

Old July 12th 03, 02:44 AM
Howard Eisenhauer

Been in the exact same position recently. My father has a tiller with a
B&S 3.5 that we could not get to run. It had been difficult to start for a
few years but got to the point last year where it wouldn't start at all.
There was a problem with crud shorting out the ignition kill contacts a
few years ago but it had plenty of spark when I decided to have another go
at it last month.

Tried carb cleaner, tried cleaning the fuel pickup, tried tightening up
the connections from the crankcase to the fuel pump, tried cleaning all
the crud out of the fuel pump- nothing. It would run for a few seconds on
quick start but that was all.

Finally I took the jet out of the side, seemed clean but I ran a wire
through it just for fun.

Then I shot compressed air into the jet passage just for luck & put it
back togeather.

Started on the first pull.

Tweaked the idle adjust a little & it runs like new .

Treefrog ) wrote: : Wayne,

:

--
Howard Eisenhauer on **************************************
* *
Old July 12th 03, 04:15 AM
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:10:44 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Treefrog wrote:

[...]

A couple of older B&S I came across, had the points actuated by a
plunger that rode the cam on the crankshaft. This plunger was stuck in
the open position, once I got this freed up the engine started and ran
great.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old July 13th 03, 01:47 AM
Mikoyagi

Thanks for the responses.

Let me give more details. The engine fires up fine when I put gas or
carb cleaner in the carb intake and I can keep it running by
continuing to feed it manually.

I have a camera but the link is at the office. I've been to
www.briggsandstratton.com and downloaded the parts list - have a look
at the pdf file at http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...ngineType=2288.
The engine number is 80202 2288 88071903. The machine was new in
1989.

Wayne: I think its the newer style of carb but it just has a plain
spring loaded jet.

Appreciate your thoughts.

M - Houston.

Old July 13th 03, 02:11 AM
lcoe

Mikoyagi wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

Let me give more details. The engine fires up fine when I put gas or
carb cleaner in the carb intake and I can keep it running by
continuing to feed it manually.

I have a camera but the link is at the office. I've been to
www.briggsandstratton.com and downloaded the parts list - have a look
at the pdf file at http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...ngineType=2288.
The engine number is 80202 2288 88071903. The machine was new in
1989.

Wayne: I think its the newer style of carb but it just has a plain
spring loaded jet. Appreciate your thoughts. M - Houston.

you said you replaced the "diaphram". if you did not replace the
"reed" valve, do so. it is a synthetic gasket like thingy that has
two 'flappers' that "pump" the petro. --Loren

Old July 13th 03, 03:26 PM
Mikoyagi

Wayne,

I can't get photo's but here's a link to the illustrated parts list -
http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...ngineType=2288

The edger was new in 1989. I belive it's the newer style and has a
spring tensioned jet on the side - the oppostite side to the diaphram.
I replaced the diaphram and cleaned out all the holes with carb
cleaner. It runs when i manually feed fuel into the carb. Wierd,
that's why I wonder about the wier in the tank.

Thanks.

Mike - Houston.
Old July 13th 03, 04:57 PM
lcoe

Mikoyagi wrote:
Wayne,

I can't get photo's but here's a link to the illustrated parts list -
http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...ngineType=2288

The edger was new in 1989. I belive it's the newer style and has a
spring tensioned jet on the side - the oppostite side to the diaphram.
I replaced the diaphram and cleaned out all the holes with carb
cleaner. It runs when i manually feed fuel into the carb. Wierd,
that's why I wonder about the wier in the tank. Thanks. Mike - Houston.

make sure the tank is completely topped up when starting, prime, start,
prime start, prime start, until you get it going or fall down. it should
get plenty of priming so it really takes off then dies. if you flood, it
it just take a few pulls to clear it w/no aircleaner --Loren

Old July 13th 03, 06:45 PM
jitney

How to fix your Briggs and Scrapiron:

1) Throw it in the garbage;
2) Replace it with a Honda

-Jitney
Old July 13th 03, 07:20 PM
lcoe

lcoe wrote:
Mikoyagi wrote:
Wayne,

I can't get photo's but here's a link to the illustrated parts list -
http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...ngineType=2288

The edger was new in 1989. I belive it's the newer style and has a
spring tensioned jet on the side - the oppostite side to the diaphram.
I replaced the diaphram and cleaned out all the holes with carb
cleaner. It runs when i manually feed fuel into the carb. Wierd,
that's why I wonder about the wier in the tank. Thanks. Mike - Houston.

make sure the tank is completely topped up when starting, prime, start,
prime start, prime start, until you get it going or fall down. it should
get plenty of priming so it really takes off then dies. if you flood, it
it just take a few pulls to clear it w/no aircleaner --Loren

also, when it starts on primer, work the cloke close/open several times,
this pulls a vacuum with the rpms up and can break debris loose. i have
fixed three gummed up reed valves on B&S engines in the past 10 years,
all the exact same failure mode and all were balky the first few uses
following repair. the jet/s on these engine _never_ need replacemnt,
cleaning once every couple of years s/b about all. --Loren

Flat Roof Identify Material and Repair Method TheScullster UK diy 3 March 19th 04 07:18 PM
Boiler repair possible?? robf UK diy 2 August 27th 03 03:05 PM