Waynemak

Default Miller Bobcat 225G question

How is the motor connected to the welder? I have the chance to pick one up
cheap but the motor is toast. Just wondering how its joined, I have a 24 HP
v twin doing nothing, its not the same brand motor but is it possible to use
a standard motor.

Wayne Cook

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:12:41 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

How is the motor connected to the welder? I have the chance to pick one up
cheap but the motor is toast. Just wondering how its joined, I have a 24 HP
v twin doing nothing, its not the same brand motor but is it possible to use
a standard motor.

Welder engines like generator engines use a tapered output shaft. On
the Bobcat there's a short taper on the rather short output shaft one
which a plate about 8" diameter is places. The plate bolts to the
cooling fan which is on the armature.

In order to use any engine not built as a welder or generator engine
you'll have to remove the crank from the engine and machine the proper
taper on the end of the crank shaft.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
RoyJ

And both the location and angle of the taper are pretty fussy. The angle
of the taper is what keeps things from slipping, the location will
determine the position of the welder armature which will include the
slip rings.

You might look into just buying a new crankshaft. Not cheap but the
result would be a nice running Bobcat

wrote:

How is the motor connected to the welder? I have the chance to pick one up
cheap but the motor is toast. Just wondering how its joined, I have a 24 HP
v twin doing nothing, its not the same brand motor but is it possible to use
a standard motor.

Welder engines like generator engines use a tapered output shaft. On
the Bobcat there's a short taper on the rather short output shaft one
which a plate about 8" diameter is places. The plate bolts to the
cooling fan which is on the armature.

In order to use any engine not built as a welder or generator engine
you'll have to remove the crank from the engine and machine the proper
taper on the end of the crank shaft.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Waynemak

Ok its home, I see what you mean with the location issue. I will have to
look atthe motor to see what it needs. The motor is torn down and looks to
be done good. the crank is fine it will just take some time to put together
a motor that I didn't take apart. The welder section "LOOKS" good but that
means nothing.

Are these good welders? I have a good Idealarc 300 TIG and a 175 lincoln
mig, so I don't need a welder but it would be nice to have a good
gen/welder. I would think this has to be a better generator than my cheap 10
HP unit fron costco. How well does the CV work for mig welding?
ink.net...

wrote:

How is the motor connected to the welder? I have the chance to pick one
up cheap but the motor is toast. Just wondering how its joined, I have a
24 HP v twin doing nothing, its not the same brand motor but is it
possible to use a standard motor.

Welder engines like generator engines use a tapered output shaft. On
the Bobcat there's a short taper on the rather short output shaft one
which a plate about 8" diameter is places. The plate bolts to the
cooling fan which is on the armature.

In order to use any engine not built as a welder or generator engine
you'll have to remove the crank from the engine and machine the proper
taper on the end of the crank shaft.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Wayne Cook

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:39:37 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

Ok its home, I see what you mean with the location issue. I will have to
look atthe motor to see what it needs. The motor is torn down and looks to
be done good. the crank is fine it will just take some time to put together
a motor that I didn't take apart. The welder section "LOOKS" good but that
means nothing.

Just be sitting down when you call for engine parts.

Are these good welders? I have a good Idealarc 300 TIG and a 175 lincoln
mig, so I don't need a welder but it would be nice to have a good
gen/welder. I would think this has to be a better generator than my cheap 10
HP unit fron costco. How well does the CV work for mig welding?

They're a fair welder for stick. I've not hooked my spool gun up for
CV work yet so I can't say there. I'm a bit spoiled by my herd of high
quality electric welders so I feel the arc lacks a little to be
desired. On the other hand I've definitely welded with worse. They
make a pretty good generator as well.

link.net...

wrote:

[...]

RoyJ

You didn't mention brands of engines but odds are good you could buy a
new crank for your good engine, piece the whole thing together. The bolt
pattern on the block is pretty standard.

Beware; I bought an Onan 180 amp welder/5000watt generator years back,
the thing spun with no compression, price was dirt cheap. I figured I
could redo the tecumsa engine with no big deal. Got it home, freed up
the valves, started right up. Ah, ha!!! but no welder/generator output.
Some dollars later I discover that half of the stator windings are
completely burnt out. Onan wanted $1700 for a new stator. Thats what I
get for assuming there is only ONE THING wrong with the unit.

For what it's worth, the motor is long gone, the stator is still going
up and down as a counter weight in my garage.

Waynemak wrote:
Ok its home, I see what you mean with the location issue. I will have to
look atthe motor to see what it needs. The motor is torn down and looks to
be done good. the crank is fine it will just take some time to put together
a motor that I didn't take apart. The welder section "LOOKS" good but that
means nothing.

Are these good welders? I have a good Idealarc 300 TIG and a 175 lincoln
mig, so I don't need a welder but it would be nice to have a good
gen/welder. I would think this has to be a better generator than my cheap 10
HP unit fron costco. How well does the CV work for mig welding?
ink.net...

wrote:

How is the motor connected to the welder? I have the chance to pick one
up cheap but the motor is toast. Just wondering how its joined, I have a
24 HP v twin doing nothing, its not the same brand motor but is it
possible to use a standard motor.

Welder engines like generator engines use a tapered output shaft. On
the Bobcat there's a short taper on the rather short output shaft one
which a plate about 8" diameter is places. The plate bolts to the
cooling fan which is on the armature.

In order to use any engine not built as a welder or generator engine
you'll have to remove the crank from the engine and machine the proper
taper on the end of the crank shaft.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Waynemak

I could be a boat hlding device, but I took the risk, not a ton of money,
unless I dump it into the motor. "RoyJ" wrote in
message link.net...

Waynemak wrote:
Ok its home, I see what you mean with the location issue. I will have to
look atthe motor to see what it needs. The motor is torn down and looks
to be done good. the crank is fine it will just take some time to put
together a motor that I didn't take apart. The welder section "LOOKS"
good but that means nothing.

Are these good welders? I have a good Idealarc 300 TIG and a 175 lincoln
mig, so I don't need a welder but it would be nice to have a good
gen/welder. I would think this has to be a better generator than my cheap
10 HP unit fron costco. How well does the CV work for mig welding?
ink.net...

wrote:

How is the motor connected to the welder? I have the chance to pick one
up cheap but the motor is toast. Just wondering how its joined, I have
a 24 HP v twin doing nothing, its not the same brand motor but is it
possible to use a standard motor.

Welder engines like generator engines use a tapered output shaft. On
the Bobcat there's a short taper on the rather short output shaft one
which a plate about 8" diameter is places. The plate bolts to the
cooling fan which is on the armature.

In order to use any engine not built as a welder or generator engine
you'll have to remove the crank from the engine and machine the proper
taper on the end of the crank shaft.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Thomas Kendrick

I bought the 225G new and it has served well for both power generation
as well as DC welding. It's a 2-pole unit, so the AC welding has an
obvious buzz to the arc. The generator and welding are connected, so
the only way to get full voltage is to have the fine adjustment on the
welding set at 100%. Might make the welding a bit "hot" if power
generation is needed simultaneously. I have never tried the CV side of
the machine. It came with a garden-tractor battery that I swapped out
for a full size battery; plenty of room in the box. I keep a
trickle-charger/maintainer on it as the battery will get weak if the
unit is not run regularly. The largest rod that I have run with it was
5/32 6011 at 145 amps. The fuel tank is only 7.5 gallons, a bit small
compared to the later Bobcats.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Grading backyard question PaPaPeng Home Repair 2 September 15th 04 06:30 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 02:36 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 08:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 02:49 PM