Ryan

Default DRO shopping...

Soon going to add a DRO to my 10x50 mill... looking at the Shooting Star
kit, 3 axis for under 800 dollars. They have been very quick and helpful in
my inquiries so far...

Anyone have constructive opinions regarding my upcoming purchase?

I was wondering how important the "bolt circle calculation" is on DROs, as
the Shooting star unit does not offer this feature. Obviously it is
correlated to how often you are going to be doing this, which for me would
be seldom... but I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance,

RB

Graham Howe

In message , Ryan
writes
Soon going to add a DRO to my 10x50 mill... looking at the Shooting Star
kit, 3 axis for under 800 dollars.

Chester Uk supply their own and a Newall. The basic Newall does not
have bolt hole calc but does all the basics and is available around your
budget. The newall is totally robust and proven.
As said by someone else - Autosketch resolves the maths problems and I
use it also.
--
Graham Howe mail: )
Home Web site: http://www.homepages.mcb.net/howe/

Dro_guy

RB,

I can sell you a brand new Acu-rite or Sargon system for less than the
Shooting Star price.

I sell my units on Ebay under the name "dro_guy" or search for
Acu-rite or Sargon.

I also have my web site where I sell my dro's.
(digitalreadoutsystem.com)

Regards,

Tim

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:47:27 GMT, "Ryan"
wrote:

Soon going to add a DRO to my 10x50 mill... looking at the Shooting Star
kit, 3 axis for under 800 dollars. They have been very quick and helpful in
my inquiries so far...

Anyone have constructive opinions regarding my upcoming purchase?

I was wondering how important the "bolt circle calculation" is on DROs, as
the Shooting star unit does not offer this feature. Obviously it is
correlated to how often you are going to be doing this, which for me would
be seldom... but I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance,

RB

Ron Thompson

I draw 'em in AutoCAD and pick off the coordinates.

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast

http://www.plansandprojects.com

"The educational system in this country has made the high school diploma
worthless and it can no longer be used for a standard. However, a potential
employee that has enough interest in their chosen craft to go to a trade
school may be more valuable to a manufacturing business that an engineer...
In today's world the skill to operate a computer is always a plus. A
potential employee who has taken the time to teach themselves a skill on
their own and purchase the tools used is a major plus." Joe Martin in MAKING
MONEY THE OLD FASHIONED WAY
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I personally have met the Shooting Star folks and their units would
likely work for you. That having been said, I recommend the basic
Mitutoyo setup. It isn't that much more, and it is a much more
robust, pro unit.

Calculating bolt hole centers, whether in a circular pattern,
elliptical pattern, rectangular array or whatever is a simple
problem if you have good math skills or are good with a spreadsheet.
If you aren't, and if you think you might need bolt hole software,
then look for it. Me, I wouldn't pay five bucks for that feature.
My DRO has it and it's less hassle to figure them out on a
spreadsheet than to go find the manual and make the DRO figure
them for me.

GWE

Ryan wrote:

Soon going to add a DRO to my 10x50 mill... looking at the Shooting Star
kit, 3 axis for under 800 dollars. They have been very quick and

helpful in
my inquiries so far...

Anyone have constructive opinions regarding my upcoming purchase?

I was wondering how important the "bolt circle calculation" is on DROs,

as
the Shooting star unit does not offer this feature. Obviously it is
correlated to how often you are going to be doing this, which for me

would
be seldom... but I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance,

RB

Dan Clingman

I just installed a shooting star DRO on my mill drill. Overall I am
pretty happy with it. It took me about four hours to install a two
axis system mostly because I had to figger out how to make it work. I
kinda wish I had got the three axis system now.

BTW I found several "alignment features" of my mill and vice once the
DRO was installed.

Dan Clingman

Ryan wrote:

Soon going to add a DRO to my 10x50 mill... looking at the Shooting Star
kit, 3 axis for under 800 dollars. They have been very quick and helpful in
my inquiries so far...

Anyone have constructive opinions regarding my upcoming purchase?

I was wondering how important the "bolt circle calculation" is on DROs, as
the Shooting star unit does not offer this feature. Obviously it is
correlated to how often you are going to be doing this, which for me would
be seldom... but I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance,

RB

Kenneth W. Sterling

wrote:

Soon going to add a DRO to my 10x50 mill... looking at the Shooting Star
kit, 3 axis for under 800 dollars. They have been very quick and helpful in
my inquiries so far...

Anyone have constructive opinions regarding my upcoming purchase?

I was wondering how important the "bolt circle calculation" is on DROs, as
the Shooting star unit does not offer this feature. Obviously it is
correlated to how often you are going to be doing this, which for me would
be seldom... but I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance,

RB

Just installed a 3-axis system on my old bridgeport - I got it from
High Quality Tools @ $690.00 for the Shooting Star. I like it, but
haven't really had to give it a workout yet. (It was on sale in a
flyer they sent out, and since it was such a good price - I couldn't
pass it up).
Ken.