Rex B

Default Suggestions? Weedwacker motor

I have a nearly-new Homelite trimmer. So far it's broken 2 flexshafts @ $20
each. Only gave $50 for the trimmer!. So I've bought another trimmer.

What to do with the Homelite power head?
Suggestions for an interesting use?

oktr6r

"Rex B" wrote in message
I have a nearly-new Homelite trimmer. So far it's broken 2 flexshafts @

$20
each. Only gave $50 for the trimmer!. So I've bought another trimmer.

What to do with the Homelite power head?
Suggestions for an interesting use?

I've seen a motorcycle built with one. It looked like a sport bike & was
about 2' long. It ran pretty quick...

Les

Ironhorse

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:02:30 GMT, "oktr6r"
wrote:

"Rex B" wrote in message
I have a nearly-new Homelite trimmer. So far it's broken 2 flexshafts @

$20
each. Only gave $50 for the trimmer!. So I've bought another trimmer.

What to do with the Homelite power head?
Suggestions for an interesting use?

I've seen a motorcycle built with one. It looked like a sport bike & was
about 2' long. It ran pretty quick...

Les

Les how many weedwacker motors would it take to power a home built
hack?

This winter I want to build something really different. I am leaning
towards a Diesel or Steam powered bike. However a whole bunch of weed
wacker engines has a certain apeal too.

See ya Les

Ironhorse, HSB#96, SENS BS
2001 Ultraclassic with Sidecar
96 Custom bucket of bolts (gone but not forgotten)
oktr6r

wrote:

"Rex B" wrote in message
I have a nearly-new Homelite trimmer. So far it's broken 2 flexshafts @

$20
each. Only gave $50 for the trimmer!. So I've bought another

trimmer.

What to do with the Homelite power head?
Suggestions for an interesting use?

I've seen a motorcycle built with one. It looked like a sport bike & was
about 2' long. It ran pretty quick...

Les

Les how many weedwacker motors would it take to power a home built
hack?

Too many... Syncronizing the carbs would be rough too.

This winter I want to build something really different. I am leaning
towards a Diesel or Steam powered bike. However a whole bunch of weed
wacker engines has a certain apeal too.

I've been looking at a set of VW pistons & cylinders I got in a trade &
wondering what it'd take to build a bike engine with 'em. Not ready to
tackle that project yet though. You can bet that when i do, I'll give myself
more than the week I had on the hack.

See ya Les

Good to see you hanging out here. Some interesting reading...

Later,

--
Les
'70 TR6R w/ homebuilt sidehack

ff

Rex B wrote:

I have a nearly-new Homelite trimmer. So far it's broken 2 flexshafts @ $20
each. Only gave $50 for the trimmer!. So I've bought another trimmer.

What to do with the Homelite power head?
Suggestions for an interesting use?

Add an out of balance flywheel and attach to the back of your
recliner. Voila, back massage chair.

ff

Roy Hauer

Better yet attach it to the box springs on your bed. Remember those
motels that used to have those under the bed vibrators that you fed
quarters to to relax you from a hard day on the road..........

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:06:00 GMT, ff wrote:

x-Rex B wrote:
x-
x-I have a nearly-new Homelite trimmer. So far it's broken 2 flexshafts @ $20
x-each. Only gave $50 for the trimmer!. So I've bought another trimmer.
x-
x-What to do with the Homelite power head?
x-Suggestions for an interesting use?
x-
x-
x-
x-
x-Add an out of balance flywheel and attach to the back of your
x-recliner. Voila, back massage chair.
x-
x-ff

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Pookie45678

I have used the guts from dead ones to build model engines. So far I have
built 2 gas, 1 steam, and am thinking about a Stirling. The parts are excellent
quality, usually in good shape, and readily adaptable to any application where
a small crank and connecting rod are needed, such as a small compressor or an
electric engine. Every so often, the city Parks Dept. cleans out their
equipment repair shop, and tosses out engines of all sizes. I now have a
lifetime supply of dead weedwhacker engines and parts.

Jim
Don't raise the bridge, lower the water

oktr6r

"Pookie45678" wrote in message
I have used the guts from dead ones to build model engines. So far I

have
built 2 gas, 1 steam, and am thinking about a Stirling. The parts are

excellent
quality, usually in good shape, and readily adaptable to any application

where
a small crank and connecting rod are needed, such as a small compressor or

an
electric engine. Every so often, the city Parks Dept. cleans out their
equipment repair shop, and tosses out engines of all sizes. I now have a
lifetime supply of dead weedwhacker engines and parts.

Any details on how you built these engines?

Les

Pookie45678

Any details on how you built these engines?

I generally design the engine around the crankshaft and piston diameter. The
steam engine is single-acting, 1 3/16 in.bore, and the gas engines are
four-stroke with cast iron cylinder liners. One is an open design to show the
working parts and the other in an enclosed crankcase design. All parts are made
from bar stock. Some of the crankshafts are small enough that I can mill out a1
1/2 by 2 in. block of aluminum to form the main bearings and pad for the
cylinder in one piece. This is how the steam engine was made. I am thinking
about a Stirling using the same concept, using only the crankshaft and
connecting rod. The connecting rod would drive the displacer and the power
piston would be driven by a crank fitted to the tapered end of the crankshaft,
with a flywheel on the other side. Unfortunately, I don't have any drawings on
these. I like to design as I go and leave room to improvise and change on the
fly. I am also looking at the plans for the Radial Five in HSM and wondering,
What if it were twice as big.......
Hope this helps.