DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Harbor Freight 2 ton shop crane (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/103478-re-harbor-freight-2-ton-shop-crane.html)

DeepDiver April 19th 05 12:11 PM

Harbor Freight 2 ton shop crane

"Ignoramus7702" wrote in message
I brought one home today, partially assembled it and put in my
truck. Hopefully, I could use it tomorrow. Some impressions.

1. It is built sturdily.

Which model did you buy: did you get the foldable crane (#35915)?

What is the max lifting height with full boom extention?

2. It is missing a bunch of hardware (split washers, plain washers).

You might want to eventually replace most of the hardware with quality parts
anyway.

3. At least one caster will have limited range of turning due to bolts
being slightly too long.

Easily fixed.

5. Most of it can be stored outdoors.

I'd grease it well and cover with a waterproof tarp to minimize rust. Of
course, the ram should stay indoors (in the fully retracted position).

7. I do not like the way the leg extensions are secured by bolts
pushing on them when tightened (as opposed to what I would prefer,
through bolts).

I suspect this may be to allow continuous setting positions. But I agree,
it's flimsly and they tend to come loose in action. Of course, it's trivial
to drill your own set of adjustment holes.

I have no idea how well does the ram operate, however, without load,
it does properly work.

One problem I've found on some (not all) Chinese hydraulic rams is that they
seep oil around the release screw. Annoying, but doesn't affect operation.

I will see if positives outweigh the negatives, tomorrow.

Let us know. Btw, what price did you get it at? Their Web site lists the
model 35915 at $199.99. But I know they often have them on sale in the
stores.

Regards,
Michael

Vaughn April 19th 05 12:24 PM

"Ignoramus7702" wrote in message
I brought one home today, partially assembled it and put in my
truck. Hopefully, I could use it tomorrow.

Hope all goes well. Don't stand under the Clausing!

Vaughn

Proctologically Violated©® April 19th 05 03:42 PM

"Ignoramus7702" wrote in message
I brought one home today, partially assembled it and put in my
truck. Hopefully, I could use it tomorrow. Some impressions.

1. It is built sturdily.

2. It is missing a bunch of hardware (split washers, plain washers).

3. At least one caster will have limited range of turning due to bolts
being slightly too long.

Reverse the screws!
the head goes on the caster-side, the nuts/washers inside the tube! pita,
indeed.
Long-nose pliers!

Oh yeah, at no extra charge you get *elliptical wheels*!

Yeah, these things are easily 220# or more. I disassemble mine into 3 main
sections. I leave the bottom part w/ wheels extensions/brace together, the
ram/strut together, and the inside/outside boom together. I also take off
the two skinny rails, as the kinks don't let them align smoothly w/
anything. I then pile everything onto the legs, and shove under the fadal.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

4. Partially disassembled, it can be easily transported and does not
take much space.

5. Most of it can be stored outdoors.

6. It does feel a little bit flakey, not strength wise, but with
respect to things that do not quite perfectly fit etc.

Ron DeBlock April 20th 05 03:45 AM

FYI, Pep Boys has a 2-ton shop crane (folding style) for $129 less a $20
rebate. I bought one back in January when it was on sale for $119 less a
$20 rebate. No issues, no missing parts, solidly built, no leaky
hydraulics, wheels are round - it's a whole lotta thing for $99. If
you're shopping for a hoist and there's a Pep Boys nearby, check it out.

Disclaimer: no connection with Pep Boys, except that I shop there
occasionally.

-Ron

DeepDiver April 20th 05 05:03 AM

"Ron DeBlock" wrote in message
FYI, Pep Boys has a 2-ton shop crane (folding style) for $129 less a $20
rebate. I bought one back in January when it was on sale for $119 less a
$20 rebate. No issues, no missing parts, solidly built, no leaky
hydraulics, wheels are round - it's a whole lotta thing for $99. If
you're shopping for a hoist and there's a Pep Boys nearby, check it out.

Hi Ron,

Can you tell us the max lifting height with boom in the fully extended
position?

Thanks!
Michael

Ron DeBlock April 23rd 05 05:16 AM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:03:43 +0000, DeepDiver wrote:

"Ron DeBlock" wrote in message
FYI, Pep Boys has a 2-ton shop crane (folding style) for $129 less a $20
rebate. I bought one back in January when it was on sale for $119 less a
$20 rebate. No issues, no missing parts, solidly built, no leaky
hydraulics, wheels are round - it's a whole lotta thing for $99. If
you're shopping for a hoist and there's a Pep Boys nearby, check it out.

Hi Ron,

Can you tell us the max lifting height with boom in the fully extended
position?

Thanks!
Michael

From the instruction manual:

88-1/2 inches, with boom fully extended (1/2 ton capacity)
71-1/4 inches, with boom retracted (2 ton capacity)

It's a Torin Big Red model T32001.

Hope this helps,

-Ron