geoff m

Default wedding rings from coins (and a concrete lightbulb)

An interesting and slightly eclectic site/ blog. Out sort of people
:-)
http://www.finkbuilt.com/blog/?p=5
(and the concrete lightbulb is kinda cool)
Geoff
TT

These "coin rings" were a very popular past time of some navy sailors. You
beat the edge of the coin repeatedly with the back of a heavy metal spoon
and eventually it mushrooms out. My dad used to make them on the ship he was
on. You need to use a real silver coin, a half dollar. He made 2 about 10
years back for himself & my mom as gifts. Took them to a jewelers shop when
he had finished the rough ring and had them sized. Very cool. I made one out
of a quarter when I was younger. I remember the noise going on for weeks.
Needless to say not a quick process, but cool nonetheless.

-Tom

"geoff m" wrote in message
An interesting and slightly eclectic site/ blog. Out sort of people
:-)
http://www.finkbuilt.com/blog/?p=5
(and the concrete lightbulb is kinda cool)
Geoff

Boris Mohar

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:10:55 -0700, "TT" wrote:

These "coin rings" were a very popular past time of some navy sailors. You
beat the edge of the coin repeatedly with the back of a heavy metal spoon
and eventually it mushrooms out. My dad used to make them on the ship he was
on. You need to use a real silver coin, a half dollar. He made 2 about 10
years back for himself & my mom as gifts. Took them to a jewelers shop when
he had finished the rough ring and had them sized. Very cool. I made one out
of a quarter when I was younger. I remember the noise going on for weeks.
Needless to say not a quick process, but cool nonetheless.

-Tom

You can also do this

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Hank

Anyone else remember the barricks scene in "Cool Hand Luke" where the poor
guy is pounding on that coin like he's trying to drive a spike through the
table.

Hank

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:23:05 -0400, Boris Mohar wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:10:55 -0700, "TT" wrote:

These "coin rings" were a very popular past time of some navy sailors. You
beat the edge of the coin repeatedly with the back of a heavy metal spoon
and eventually it mushrooms out.

You can also do this
http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

I think I met that guy at the Tesla museum in Colorado Springs about
10 or 15 years back. He was trying to sell some sort of shrinking
machine, and going on about how he had changed the nature of matter.
I explained that until I did a volume/weight/density check, I wasn't
going to believe him. He went away.

Cool effect though, and 7000 joules isn't really all that much energy.