Default E. Horton and Son Drill Chuck

I have a drill chuck made by E. Horton and Son in Connecticut. It is
the Albrecht type that is hand closing with no key, Any one have any
idea if these folks are still around or if they were bought by someone
else? It is in good shape and needs a new jaw. It is probably quite old
but still works well. Thanks, Steve

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
curly wrote:

wrote:
I have a drill chuck made by E. Horton and Son in Connecticut. It is
the Albrecht type that is hand closing with no key, Any one have any
idea if these folks are still around or if they were bought by

someone
else? It is in good shape and needs a new jaw. It is probably quite

old
but still works well. Thanks, Steve

I also have one of these chucks. It looks very old, has a mt2 shank
and a fairly small capacity compared to the size of the chuck itself.
No idea if the company is still around but I would also be interested
in finding out.

If these are like what I am thinking of, they are nothing
special. There are the three jaws held apart by small coil springs
socketed into holes in the flats. And there is no provision (other than
the springs) for keeping the jaws equally spaced.

An Albrecht has guides on the jaws to keep them precisely
spaced, and a proper thrust assembly with ball bearings to tighten it.
The chucks which I described were once common on cheap electric drill
motors and on eggbeater drills, before the Jacobs keyed chucks came into
use on the electric drill motors -- and for all I know, even on the
eggbeater drills as well. I've not seen a *new* one of those since
about 1961. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564