Frantic3D

Default Machinable wax, for investment casting. O.T.????

Hello all,
Is there anyone out there doing their own investment casting? If so, I need
a supplier for machinable wax. Perhaps its all machinable.
But I'd like to purchase what is tried and true.

TIA
Neil

DeepDiver

"Frantic3D" wrote in message
Hello all,
Is there anyone out there doing their own investment casting? If so, I
need a supplier for machinable wax. Perhaps its all machinable.
But I'd like to purchase what is tried and true.

TIA
Neil

Travers Tool Co. carries it: http://www.travers.com

Here's a link to their catalog page with machinable wax:

https://www.travers.com/pdfshow.asp?p=1090

Regards,
Michael

Andrew Werby

"Frantic3D" wrote in message
Hello all,
Is there anyone out there doing their own investment casting? If so, I

need
a supplier for machinable wax. Perhaps its all machinable.

[It's not. Some waxes will gum up the cutter. Even the machinable type can,
if you get too enthusiastic.]

But I'd like to purchase what is tried and true.

TIA
Neil

[I've tried the blue stuff from Freeman Supply: www.freemansupply.com. It
can be invested, but it has some problems, notably a high melting point and
high expansion, so it's likely to crack the investment before it exits the
mold. Ferris File-a-wax (green) is considerably more expensive, but it's
somewhat harder and better-behaved in the investment.]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

Oldn_Tired

Frantic3D wrote:
Hello all,
Is there anyone out there doing their own investment casting? If so,

I need
a supplier for machinable wax. Perhaps its all machinable.
But I'd like to purchase what is tried and true.

TIA
Neil

McMasterCarr carries Casting wax (and machinable wax.) Both types,
along with specs, are on page 3362 of their massive online catalog.
Casting wax is sold in both bars and rods:
"The excellent stability and low expansion rate of this wax virtually
eliminates cracking problems. Softening point is 144=B0 to 156=B0 F.
Hardness is Shore 40D. All dimensions have a =B1 1/4" tolerance. Color
is red."
a 2"x4"x12" bar costs $46
http://www.mcmaster.com/
I use them as a good reference, but then I try to find the same stuff
for less elsewhere.