The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Default Understanding SAE hose specs

I've been trying to purchase some hose for a project I'm working on (an
oil filter relocation kit, nothing special) and in the course of this
have been rudely introduced to the world of SAE hose specifications.
Out of curiosity (the morbid kind, mostly) I thought maybe I'd delve into
that a bit further, and now I'm immersed in the desire to figure it all
out. But for some reason, I can't seem to find any sort of all-in-one
online source that explains all the various SAE ratings. Does anyone
know of such a thing? Or could someone give me a quick primer on how
all this stuff works? Like for example, what exactly is the difference
between things like 100R1, 30R7, 30R10, etc.? I've read the specs for
different manufacturer products that "exceed SAE rating J-whatever"
but that doesn't seem to help much. If I had a specific application in
mind, and wanted to look up in a book of specs what minimum type of hose
design I needed, where would I go? Thanks for any help and guiding words
of wisdom that can be provided.