Roy Lewallen

The problem with aluminum at the coast isn't an oxide that has to be
removed. It's just the opposite -- the problem is that salt water
removes the oxide that needs to be kept intact. Aluminum is a very
active metal, which oxidizes almost immediately on exposure to air. The
oxide is a hard, non-porous ceramic which, after forming a very thin
layer, prevents any further contact of the aluminum with air. The
problem is that aluminum oxide is slightly soluble in salt water and
other acids. So the oxide coating is removed by the salt water, exposing
more aluminum to salt water and air, allowing it to corrode. It does
help to coat metals with grease, but only because it prevents the salt
water from contacting the metal or, in the case of aluminum, the oxide
coating. But the last thing you want to do is intentionally remove the
oxide coating.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Has anyone done any testing (RF resistance) on squirting some NOALOX
compound (or other anti-corrosion sealants) between the aluminum
elements and scrubbing them clean to remove the oxide film before
bolting them together? Should help a lot, especially along the coast.

Works great on AL power wire at 60Hz...

-- Bruce --

(KBPY-8540 - wait, they discontinued those calls. Oh well...) ;-)

Crazy George

Both half wrong. Back in the dark ages there were two Boontons. BRC, Boonton Radio Co., and Boonton Electronics who
dropped the Electronics when HP absorbed BRC. Both were in the electronic instrumentation business. Used to drive
purchasing agents berserk.

--
Crazy George
The attglobal.net address is a SPAM trap. Please change that part to: attdotbiz properly formatted.
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:25:26 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:
On 11 Apr 2005 11:52:53 -0700, "K7ITM" wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:

I've calibrated these too (Boonton, I think, also built them, but as
Boonton was acquired by HP, it isn't a remarkable difference).

Errrk?? From Boonton's web site:
"In July 2000 we became a member of a larger family as we were acquired
by Wireless Telecom Group, Inc. (doing business as Noise Com). Being a
wholly owned subsidiary of Wireless Telecom Group, Inc. has enabled us
to further our product development and customer service initiatives."

See http://www.boonton.com/2002/about-history.html

They left out part of their history.

H-P *did* acquire Boonton at one time. I have both a black crackle
Boonton 250 RX meter and an H-P gray HP 250 RX meter out in my storage
building.

Another rec.crafts.metalworking crosspost kibbitz: Double check
that - they could have been owned for a while, but it's far more
likely H-P ordered some made by Boonton in gray cases with the H-P
name on them. Far cheaper than H-P duplicating them from scratch, and
doing a total redesign so they don't infringe on any patents.

Happens all the time - for one example, Sears doesn't build power or
hand tools themselves, but they have the OEM suppliers put their name
on tons of them. Sometimes they're customer specific designs, others
are only 'badge engineered' from an existing design and change the
plastic feedstock color in the case molding machine.

In the past I've saved an average 20% by going to the OEM (like
Skil-Bosch) for parts when you can identify them, rather than the
Sears Parts Center.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545