R.H.

Default What is it? LVI

Just added another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

If you haven't seen it already, over the weekend I added a scanned shot from
an 1894 edition catalog, that verifies #313, the burner cleaner. It's on
the answer page to last week's post, thanks to Bill for sending that to me.

Rob

Leo Lichtman

315 Skeleton keys
316 Spoke wrench
317 Puzzle If the top piece is turned over, it will fit into the stack,
forming a cube.
319 Auto valve stem cover.

Jon Haugsand

* R. H.

315 keys
316
317 Soma cubes
318 Oar fork for rowing boats (whatever such things are called in
English)

319
320 old thing to remove isolation from electrical wires

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
Peter

"Jon Haugsand" wrote in message ...
* R. H.

315 keys
316
317 Soma cubes
318 Oar fork for rowing boats (whatever such things are called in
English)

319
320 old thing to remove isolation from electrical wires

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92

the word you are looking for to describe 318 is rollocks

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just added another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

315. You otta be ashamed! Too simple. the lower one is a blank that
hasn't been cut yet. to fit a particular use.

316 predecessor to a vice-grip plier.

it would be helpful to know what the lettering says, can't _quite_
read it. Top line is "A {something} MFG CO"
mid line is location. {something} MICH I think
bot line is "PAT MAY 29 34

317. a dis-assembled cube.

318. a 'fork' of some sort, obviously. Tuning fork, maybe? or maybe an
old-style stethoscope?

319. "What do you get when you cross a thumb-screw with a thimble?"

it would be useful to know what the lettering says, above the
knurled section.

320. Authoritatively -- what you get when you cross a rhinoceros with an
elephant. It's an "elephino". groan

Peter Morris

"Peter" wrote in message

318 Oar fork for rowing boats (whatever such things are called in
English)

the word you are looking for to describe 318 is rollocks

No, it's true.

(boom boom)

Fred R

If 318 is a rowlock/oarlock then it is lying on some Really coarse fabric!
--
Fred R
________________

rhiannon

"R.H." wrote in message
Just added another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

If you haven't seen it already, over the weekend I added a scanned shot

from
an 1894 edition catalog, that verifies #313, the burner cleaner. It's on
the answer page to last week's post, thanks to Bill for sending that to

me.

Rob

318 is the junction of a stethoscope...links the ear hoses to the part that
the Dr. puts on your chest.

320...a saw tooth set?

Tim Mullen

In Larry Green writes:

The spelling is 'rowlock' but it is pronounced 'rollock'. Much as
'gunwale' is pronounced 'gunnel' or 'boatswain' is pronounced 'bosun'.

A friend worked on the tall ship Gazella, and once gave me a tour.
After a while I caught on that things like "midsil" were actually the
mid SAIL.

I developed a theory that, when on deck with your face encrusted
with ice and your pearly whites clattering together, shortening words
as much as possible becomes a biological necessity.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
Ed Huntress

"R.H." wrote in message
Just added another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

If you haven't seen it already, over the weekend I added a scanned shot

from
an 1894 edition catalog, that verifies #313, the burner cleaner. It's on
the answer page to last week's post, thanks to Bill for sending that to

me.

Rob

Jeez, you have some great stuff in your collection, Rob.

I'll take a stab at some of them for the first time:

315. A set of skeleton keys.

317. A wooden Rubic's Cube?

308. Stair buttons for use on a framing square.

309. A drafting duck?

310. A pencil sharpener.

312. The same principle as that used in a lot of ancient Roman masonry: any
combination of blocks, looked at from below, has more than 50% of its weight
*behind* the edge of the block the stack is resting upon.

314. A Curta mechanical calculator.

--
Ed Huntress

Gary Brady

the word you are looking for to describe 318 is rollocks

Oarlocks

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Gary Brady

I think oarlock is more common. Never heard 'rowlock' before.

Agreed. Rowlock is a masonry term. A row of brick laying on edge
capping the top of a freestanding brick wall is a rowlock.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just added another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

If you haven't seen it already, over the weekend I added a scanned shot from
an 1894 edition catalog, that verifies #313, the burner cleaner. It's on
the answer page to last week's post, thanks to Bill for sending that to me.

Rob

315. Boy key and girl key. Joined with a ring, used to make more keys.
316. Mechanical pirana.
317. Wooden salt crystals.
318. Paper towel partially obscured by a thing.
319. Heh.
320. Robot tourniquet applicator.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

TomH

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:40:06 GMT, "R.H."
wrote in rec.woodworking:

Just added another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

315. Keys
316. Not Keys
317. Puzzle
318. Not Puzzle
319. Phallic Thimble
320. Random-length dog nail clipper

I'm pretty certain that #316 is from Menominee, Michigan.
Perhaps used for straightening wire spokes?
--
+ TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Also: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just added another set:

315: Keys to warded locks.

318: dipstick

320: Looks like a bypass cutting tool that might have been modified
for a specific purpose.

result in a fully-depreciated one.

Tim Mullen wrote:
In Larry Green

writes:

The spelling is 'rowlock' but it is pronounced 'rollock'. Much as
'gunwale' is pronounced 'gunnel' or 'boatswain' is pronounced

'bosun'.

A friend worked on the tall ship Gazella, and once gave me a tour.
After a while I caught on that things like "midsil" were actually the
mid SAIL.

Well, that explains Balmore, MD. It's a port city.

--

FF

Matthew Russotto

In article .com,
wrote:

Well, that explains Balmore, MD. It's a port city.

But in the area closest to the docks, it's "Bal-TEE-more".
result in a fully-depreciated one.
ancienthistoryman

318 front forks - bicycle
315 the keys to my old electricity meter
317 your arrangement of wooden blocks? very nice...
320 wire stripper

R.H.

it would be helpful to know what the lettering says, can't
_quite_
read it. Top line is "A {something} MFG CO"
mid line is location. {something} MICH I think
bot line is "PAT MAY 29 34

This one is marked "A. Dudley Mfg. Co., Menominee, Mich., Pat. May 29-94".

R.H.

All but one have been correctly answered::

315. Skeleton keys

316. Spoke wrench

317. Soma puzzle

318. Tuning fork, note E

319. Old Michelin tire tube valve stem cap

320. No correct guesses yet

Rob

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
it would be helpful to know what the lettering says, can't

_quite_
read it. Top line is "A {something} MFG CO"
mid line is location. {something} MICH I think
bot line is "PAT MAY 29 34

This one is marked "A. Dudley Mfg. Co., Menominee, Mich., Pat. May 29-94".

Ayup. that confirms it. high wheel bicycle spoke wrench.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just added another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

If you haven't seen it already, over the weekend I added a scanned shot from
an 1894 edition catalog, that verifies #313, the burner cleaner. It's on
the answer page to last week's post, thanks to Bill for sending that to me.

Again -- answering from rec.crafts.metalworking

315) "Skeleton" keys -- used for morticed door locks for internal doors
in a home. These look pretty new, but the locks which they fit
are probably quite old.

316) Hmm ... perhaps for holding typewriter typefaces on the
typebars while they are being soldered in place?

317) Your puzzle photo is a photo of a puzzle. :-) I think that the
blocks are each hinged to one or more adjacent blocks, and one
solution is to make a solid cube with them.

318) The joining part of a stethoscope? The two earpiece hoses
connect to the upper right, and the single hose going to the
"pickup" connects to the lower left.

319) Hmm ... seals and protects something. Perhaps a bleed vent for
steam or compressed air?

320) Perhaps another typewriter repair tool? I'm not sure that even
having it in my hands would tell me more. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Jon Haugsand

* R. H.
315. Skeleton keys

What /is/ "skeleton keys"?

317. Soma puzzle

Ah! This is my solution.

318. Tuning fork, note E

No oarlock or rowlock then?

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92
R.H.

"Jon Haugsand" wrote in message
* R. H.
315. Skeleton keys

What /is/ "skeleton keys"?

Also called a pass key, they supposedly work on a wide variety of locks.

318. Tuning fork, note E

No oarlock or rowlock then?

Nope, it's a little too small for that.

Rob

R.H.

320) Perhaps another typewriter repair tool?

Excellent guess, this is correct.

Rob

#315 A pair of universal keys for warded locks. The wide side cuts allow
the keys to pass the wards. Not necessarily very secure, as a
universal key could be produced from a standard key with a file.

scott