Default "Beepless" Microwaves?

Well, this group *is* alt.home.REPAIR, and our family would like to
repair some problems that arise from sensitive sleepers living in a
small home.

Are there any microwave ovens that do not beep, honk, clang, or
otherwise make noises? I located a small-appliance repairman who said
the removal of sound-making electronics from appliances--microwave more
than any other--actually comprised the largest part of his business.
But since the microwave we needed to have "de-belled" was old, we
decided not to go through with the surgery!

So if anyone here knows of any totally silent microwaves, I'd
appreciate hearing about them here. THanks.

Tom

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, this group *is* alt.home.REPAIR, and our family would like to
repair some problems that arise from sensitive sleepers living in a
small home.

Are there any microwave ovens that do not beep, honk, clang, or
otherwise make noises? I located a small-appliance repairman who said
the removal of sound-making electronics from appliances--microwave more
than any other--actually comprised the largest part of his business.
But since the microwave we needed to have "de-belled" was old, we
decided not to go through with the surgery!

So if anyone here knows of any totally silent microwaves, I'd
appreciate hearing about them here. THanks.

I've sold these things since 1978 and I've never seen a silent one. I
remember having the service department "de-bell" one several years ago
because the owner had a dog that would run around in circles and "pee" on
the kitchen floor every time the microwave sounded off.
Tom.

I've sold these things since 1978 and I've never seen a silent one. I
remember having the service department "de-bell" one several years ago
because the owner had a dog that would run around in circles and "pee"
on
the kitchen floor every time the microwave sounded off.

Tom, you did my heart good! Thanks for letting me know we're not alone
in this rebellion. Lord, you'd think microwave manufacturers were all
descended from C3PO and R2D2!

Hi, Jeff. I'll check out your website as soon as I'm through posting,
but we need a countertop model. Thanks to you too. I never thought
this post would get any replies at all, and it turns out it's gotten
faster replies than any post I've made in 12+ years on Usenet!

Must mean there's a market for beepless appliances. How 'bout "The
Quiet Woman/Man" line?

Brian

1) Removing beeper element from is trivial.
Open the pannel and cut the wire... Your repairman is full of if.

2) We have GE Spacemaker XL1600
it has a sound volume option: 0 - 3 ( 0 - mute )

Here is manual:

http://products.geappliances.com/Pro...&SKU=JVM1660BB

Search for beeper volume

Noozer

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, this group *is* alt.home.REPAIR, and our family would like to
repair some problems that arise from sensitive sleepers living in a
small home.

Are there any microwave ovens that do not beep, honk, clang, or
otherwise make noises? I located a small-appliance repairman who said
the removal of sound-making electronics from appliances--microwave more
than any other--actually comprised the largest part of his business.
But since the microwave we needed to have "de-belled" was old, we
decided not to go through with the surgery!

So if anyone here knows of any totally silent microwaves, I'd
appreciate hearing about them here. THanks.

I do know that both Panasonic and LG make microwaves that have a "Sound"
option. Simply turn it off and the only noise you get is the fan when it's
running.

Bill

On 31 Mar 2005 04:20:37 -0800, "
wrote:

Are there any microwave ovens that do not beep, honk, clang, or
otherwise make noises?

My 10-year-old Sharp Carousel microwave has an option to
turn off all the beeps. A specific combination of keypresses
activates that feature. IIRC it's ClockSet; 5; Start. Maybe
you could try to find an online owner's manual for the latest
model and see if it still has that feature. I would recommend
that model, BTW. It has worked perfectly since the day I bought it.
Greg

"Tom" wrote in message
I've sold these things since 1978 and I've never seen a silent one. I
remember having the service department "de-bell" one several years ago
because the owner had a dog that would run around in circles and "pee" on
the kitchen floor every time the microwave sounded off.

Oh! My ribs are hurting. That is one strange mental image.

Greg

Dee

the owner had a dog that would run around in circles and "pee" on the
kitchen floor every time the microwave sounded off.

That is without a doubt the FUNNIEST thing I've heard in a long time.

I have the loudest microwave ever manufactured and many's the time I've
wanted to toss it out yonder winder.

Suzie-Q

-
- Are there any microwave ovens that do not beep, honk, clang, or
- otherwise make noises? I located a small-appliance repairman who said
- the removal of sound-making electronics from appliances--microwave more
- than any other--actually comprised the largest part of his business.
- But since the microwave we needed to have "de-belled" was old, we
- decided not to go through with the surgery!
-
- So if anyone here knows of any totally silent microwaves, I'd
- appreciate hearing about them here. THanks.

Looking at it from another perspective: is there any reason the
light sleepers can't wear ear plugs?

The soft, foam plugs are very cheap and not uncomfortable.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Edwin Pawlowski

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message

Looking at it from another perspective: is there any reason the
light sleepers can't wear ear plugs?

The soft, foam plugs are very cheap and not uncomfortable.
--

Great idea. Get the good ones that will block out the smoke detector, CO
detector, and the dog barking at an intruder.

Percival P. Cassidy

The one I just pulled apart (out of curiosity) before throwing it out
had no speaker and no wires. It had a piezoelectric device soldered to
the circuit board.

Perce

On 04/01/05 12:19 am Gerry Atrick tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Remove the cover (UNPLUG IT FIRST). Look for the speaker. Cut one of
the two wires going to the speaker. Tape the end of the wire with
electrical tape. Replace the cover. Enjoy your silent MW.

Suzie-Q

In article Xuc3e.179$7b.144@trndny02, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

- "Suzie-Q" wrote in message
-
- Looking at it from another perspective: is there any reason the
- light sleepers can't wear ear plugs?
-
- The soft, foam plugs are very cheap and not uncomfortable.
- --
-
- Great idea. Get the good ones that will block out the smoke detector, CO
- detector, and the dog barking at an intruder.

If people are awake and using the microwave, we don't really
have to worry about those things, do we, since the people
can wake the ear-plugged sleepers.

--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Edwin Pawlowski

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message

If people are awake and using the microwave, we don't really
have to worry about those things, do we, since the people
can wake the ear-plugged sleepers.

But if the people that are awake now were part of the earplug crew during
the night, you'd still have to worry.

I think it is silly to wear earplugs maybe 60 hours a week for years to
avoid a problem that can be solved easily and permanently one time.

Thanks to everybody who wrote and suggested fixes! I now have a choice
of Kenmore #80802 and GE Spacemaker XL1600. Are these BOTH countertop?
Thanks again!

Percival P. Cassidy

On 04/01/05 04:52 am Gerry Atrick tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

The one I just pulled apart (out of curiosity) before throwing it out
had no speaker and no wires. It had a piezoelectric device soldered to
the circuit board.

OK, I had a very old one with a speaker. I suppose they are using
those piezo things now to save money. The solution is to then
unsolder at least one of the leads, or remove it entirely. Not too
hard for someone that knows how to use a soldering iron.

I don't know whether they save money, but they save two connections and
two lengths of wire (all potential failure spots).

Perce
Percival P. Cassidy

Kenmore is an over-the-range model (also described as a "microhood"),
and I'm pretty sure the GE Spacemaker ones are too.

Walk into an appliance store and ask about the beeper and/or look at the
user's guide, which may be in the oven, or you may have to ask for it.

Perce

On 04/02/05 06:39 am tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Thanks to everybody who wrote and suggested fixes! I now have a choice
of Kenmore #80802 and GE Spacemaker XL1600. Are these BOTH countertop?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:20:37 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Well, this group *is* alt.home.REPAIR, and our family would like to
repair some problems that arise from sensitive sleepers living in a
small home.

Are there any microwave ovens that do not beep, honk, clang, or
otherwise make noises? I located a small-appliance repairman who said
the removal of sound-making electronics from appliances--microwave more
than any other--actually comprised the largest part of his business.
But since the microwave we needed to have "de-belled" was old, we
decided not to go through with the surgery!

So if anyone here knows of any totally silent microwaves, I'd
appreciate hearing about them here. THanks.

--
Emails sent or received shall neither constitute acceptance of proposed
and/or preliminary offers conducted via email nor shall create a binding

The contents of this email and any attachments is intended only for the use
of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase
all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately at
800-392-2377.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 12:46:48 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in news:6d46fddf-5853-4bb4-9d0f-
:

We just pressed the #2, hold it and the beeps stop! Done.

On Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:20:37 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Do you realize that you're responding to a post that's more than NINE YEARS old?

Nonetheless, if Maureen has an answer as simple as the one she gave, she
should tell us what brand of microwave works this way, and about how old
it is, and hopefully the model name or number (since not all items even
from with the same brandr have the same features, some aren't even made
by the same actual maker.

Then we'll all know, and someone searching the archives later will know
too.

So, Maureen?

P&M but please answer by post so all will see it.

PS, I myself would like to make the buzzer louder. It's loud enough
when a radio or tv isn't on, but not at all when one is. When I have
time, I'll "do the surgery", but it's low on my list.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Holding the 2 button for about 5 seconds works for me. You should hear an initial chirp after pressing 2 and then another short series of 3 chirps after holding for 5 seconds. You can then release and try it out. I have a 2005 1800W Whirlpool model. It works like a toggle so you can undo this as needed/desired. It may not be universal but I have tried this on a few other microwaves and it has worked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 10:29:32 -0800 (PST), Dillon
wrote:

Holding the 2 button for about 5 seconds works for me. You should hear an initial chirp after pressing 2 and then another short series of 3 chirps after holding for 5 seconds. You can then release and try it out. I have a 2005 1800W Whirlpool model. It works like a toggle so you can undo this as needed/desired. It may not be universal but I have tried this on a few other microwaves and it has worked.

How do you turn the "beep" back on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Holding the 2 button for about 5 seconds works for me.

And as soon as the power goes out you have to start over again. I quit
setting the clock on my MW. We get power outages often and not only do I
have to reset the clock, but it always goes back to 24 hour military
time. (Annoying). I dont need the clock on it, I only need the timer, so
I just dont set the clock anymore... If there was a way to shut off the
clock, I would !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Holding the 2 button for about 5 seconds works for me. You should hear an initial chirp after pressing 2 and then another short series of 3 chirps after holding for 5 seconds. You can then release and try it out. I have a 2005 1800W Whirlpool model. It works like a toggle so you can undo this as needed/desired. It may not be universal but I have tried this on a few other microwaves and it has worked.

How do you turn the "beep" back on?

Repeat the process.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 14:01:26 -0500, Pat wrote:

wrote:

Holding the 2 button for about 5 seconds works for me.

And as soon as the power goes out you have to start over again. I quit
setting the clock on my MW. We get power outages often and not only do I
have to reset the clock, but it always goes back to 24 hour military
time. (Annoying). I dont need the clock on it, I only need the timer, so
I just dont set the clock anymore... If there was a way to shut off the
clock, I would !!!

On mine (a Panasonic), if you don't set the time, the clock remains
blank.

Mine is an Oster. I wish the clock would remain blank. I have just
learned to ignore it. I have a clock on the wall in the kitchen and my
alarm clock in the bedroom. That's enough clocks in one house,
especially when it comes time to change them. My cellphone changes
itself and is the most accurate, so I just change the 2 house clocks,
and 2 vehicle clocks. Then I have to change my computer time too. That's
plenty.... I dont need a clock on the MW, and I no longer have a VCR to
change....

We've got a small GE microwave oven in our office and its clock
obviously isn't synced to the 60 Hz line because it gains about 2
minutes a day. Before we know it its fast by ten minutes or so.

Must be because the back label says it can run on 50 or 60 Hz and the
builders were too cheap to put a crystal in it, so it's probably got
just an RC oscillator.

I'll try the hints earlier in this thread and see if I can shut off that
damn clock as we've got a $9.95 Staples wall clock in the same room as
the microwave oven, and the only time we have to reset it is when the
single AA battery in it croaks or for DST changes.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Over-the-range microwave recommendations Phisherman Home Repair 24 March 1st 05 04:41 AM
Microwaves Ed UK diy 4 November 26th 04 06:05 PM
Microwaves. mich UK diy 34 November 18th 03 10:10 AM