DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   shower drain plumbing question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/96974-shower-drain-plumbing-question.html)

Martin March 28th 05 08:35 PM

shower drain plumbing question

i'm gonna have a shower panel installed, it includes 6 shower jets, 1 shower
head and 1 shower head on rope (or whatever it is called). the shower can
only operate 1 system at a time - i.e. jets or 1 head or the other head. I
had new plumbing installed, the new incoming water mains are 1/2", and the
drain is 2". Is the drain sufficient? According to Can. plumbing code, for
a shower with 4 to 6 heads one needs min 3" pipe. (2" is for ma 3 heads)
Does this apply to this situation?
thanks

martin

[email protected] March 28th 05 08:38 PM

Can't help on the Can plumbing code, but certainly a 2" drain is
perfectly fine for a settup where only 1 head can run at a time.

Martin March 28th 05 09:34 PM

what about the situation when 6 shower jets are running ? (i am not worried
about the shower head, but the jets) i guess what i was getting at was if
the jets would be considered as a individual heads?

m.

oups.com...

Olaf March 29th 05 03:17 AM

If they're all fed through the same 1/2" pipe you're good to go. You won't
get enough water through 1/2" pipe to overflow a 1 1/2" drain. 2" is plenty
lagre enough.

Even if all jets / heads were on at the same time.

I can just picture a 3" drain on a shower.. hah!

Martin March 29th 05 03:14 PM

damn, i wish i was more carefull when i was writing this. thanks to those
who replied. just to close this up, i wan to clarify few things. first of
all, the mains are 3/4" not 1/2" as previously mentioned. Cold is 3/4" from
main shutoff, hot is 3/4" from hwt. the drain is 1-1/2", not 2" as i
thiugh. I wrote the previous message at work, and after coming home I
realized my error. so, given the new h&c w, and the new size of drain -
which is acceptable for 1 shower, is that good enough?

thanks again for help.

Sasha March 29th 05 10:40 PM

I have custom shower with 3/4" thermostatic valve, three 3/4" volume
controls (one for fixed shower arm, the second for hand-held shower and
the third one for body sprays) and 3 body sprays. I have 2" shower
drain and even when all shower units are fully open which represents a
wall of water shower drain works completely OK. I have never had entire
shower bottom which is 5' X 3' under the water.