Default "Can" Vents Acceptable on Low-Pitched Roof?

Hi, I'm who posted here yesterday asking about metal roofs. The price
in our area is significantly higher than for shingled, but the
homeowner has all the problems associated with "walk-up" hip vented
roofs: improper ventilation, resulting in mold.

Contractor #1 low-balled the others but will not take off the unvented
soffits, even though he claims he's going to replace ALL the plywood
decking. When I asked how this would be possible without removing the
gutters/soffits, he said he "thought" our gutter system was suspended
from the fascia... His not knowing whether or not this is the case, in
addition to his real nervousness when I asked the question, makes me
skeptical of using him.

HOWEVER, he says can vents will solve the problem without the need for
new vented soffits.

Contractor #2, big-cheese roofing contractor who talked us into 9 feet
of ice shield as opposed to 6, tells us how good his "system" is, tells
me he's too "old" to go up into the walk-up attic (early 40's), then
offers a 95K bid for basically a tear-off and new soffit/gutters. NO
DECKING INCLUDED WHATSOEVER.

In his opinion, can vents will insure destruction of new roof because
of flashing issues as well as the fact that can vents aren't part of
his unique "system."

I've had at least seven roofing "contractors" through the property.
Price is an issue but not the most important, which was why I asked
about metal roofs yesterday on another thread. What I need to know,
because a choice will have to be made between *one* of these charmers
(I suppose) is: ARE CAN VENTS ("POP-UPS") STILL ACCEPTABLE ON MODERN
ROOFS? WILL A LOW PITCH (70'S RANCH HOME) ON THE HIP ROOF INSURE
PROBLEMS WITH CANS NEXT WINTER?

We live in the Poconos in Pennsylvania, at an elevation with--pardon
the language--bad-ass winters.

Thank you.

It appears each contractor is "designing" his own system.
I suggest you look at two web sites and set your own standards.
NRCA (National Roofing Contractors Association) has lots of
construction info.
Building Science Corporation has researched climate specific systems
information.

How does the first contractor know he has to take off all the roof
sheathing?
Have you been in the attic to check for leaks and deterioration that
would suggest that is needed?
IMHO, a low sloped roof in the Poconos needs ice & water shield.
If the under roof area is to be vented, it is my belief that soffit
vents with ridge vent is the way to go.

TB

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 06:16 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 11:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
# of soffit and roof vents???? Cory Lechner Home Repair 6 August 23rd 03 04:49 AM