bill a

Default torchdown roofing question

i was looking at the torchdown roofing product at Home Depot the other day
(can't remember the brand)
and i was wondering if the upper surface will get a black powdery coating as
it weathers. the top surface of the torchdown had a fairly glossy surface
with pretty much texture from the reinforcement fabric.
the reason for asking is that i have an roof area (nearly flat) that is
accessible to people walking around,
and i was thinking about covering with the torchdown to make the surface
more resistant to damage.
it would be a problem, though, if black residue would be tracked into the
house. I'm thinking that the
mineral faced torchdown would also cause grit to be tracked inside.
the roof area is now covered with modified bitumen (fairly new).

thanks for any input.
bill

PaulJ

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:55:44 GMT, "bill a"
wrote:

i was looking at the torchdown roofing product at Home Depot the other day
(can't remember the brand)
and i was wondering if the upper surface will get a black powdery coating as
it weathers. the top surface of the torchdown had a fairly glossy surface
with pretty much texture from the reinforcement fabric.
the reason for asking is that i have an roof area (nearly flat) that is
accessible to people walking around,
and i was thinking about covering with the torchdown to make the surface
more resistant to damage.
it would be a problem, though, if black residue would be tracked into the
house. I'm thinking that the
mineral faced torchdown would also cause grit to be tracked inside.
the roof area is now covered with modified bitumen (fairly new).

thanks for any input.
bill

I'd cover the torchdown with white graded gravel. The rain will
keep the gravel clean so not to worry about tracking. It will also
extend the life of your roof for years.

m Ransley

They should be painted to reduce the suns deteriorating effects., I dont
know what colors other than white and silver are avalaible but a top
coat over the silver could be a high grade Latex house paint, any color.

Chuck B.

wrote:

[...]

I would think that the gravel would put holes into the torch-down
material. Especially if people are going to walk on it.
I would (and did) coat the torch-down with an aluminum paint like what
is used on mobile home roofs. Seem to hold up very well.
No

First off - I'm no roofer although I have instaled a feww torchdown roofs
and others as well.
Torch down comes with or without granuals. The type without should be coated
after install IMO. Thats more for UV than anything else.

I thought Modified Bitumen WAS torch down.

If you want to walk on the thing, I would build a deck above.

"bill a" wrote in message
i was looking at the torchdown roofing product at Home Depot the other day
(can't remember the brand)
and i was wondering if the upper surface will get a black powdery coating
as it weathers. the top surface of the torchdown had a fairly glossy
surface with pretty much texture from the reinforcement fabric.
the reason for asking is that i have an roof area (nearly flat) that is
accessible to people walking around,
and i was thinking about covering with the torchdown to make the surface
more resistant to damage.
it would be a problem, though, if black residue would be tracked into the
house. I'm thinking that the
mineral faced torchdown would also cause grit to be tracked inside.
the roof area is now covered with modified bitumen (fairly new).

thanks for any input.
bill

Yet another tub caulking question (sorry!) -this time about color MAG Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 02:52 AM
Roofing question - hot mop, insulation under bricks on flat roof Rick Cunningham Home Repair 1 July 23rd 04 03:37 PM
new foundation question oreo123 Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 10:41 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM