DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Leaking tar paper (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/96624-leaking-tar-paper.html)

Mike Mike March 26th 05 12:44 PM

Leaking tar paper

I am re-roofing and have covered the whole roof with 30# tar paper and
shingled one side of the house.
Yesterday we got a LOT of rain and I had 3-4 leaks on the side of the house
only covered in tar paper. 2 of them was pretty bad and left big spots on
the ceiling.
Should I worry about this and try and find where it was leaking or will the
shingles take care of the leaks when I get them up?

Regards
Mike

Joseph Meehan March 26th 05 01:55 PM

Mike Mike wrote:
I am re-roofing and have covered the whole roof with 30# tar paper and
shingled one side of the house.
Yesterday we got a LOT of rain and I had 3-4 leaks on the side of the
house only covered in tar paper. 2 of them was pretty bad and left
big spots on the ceiling.
Should I worry about this and try and find where it was leaking or
will the shingles take care of the leaks when I get them up?

Regards
Mike

Don't worry. Tar paper is not roofing, it is a final moisture barrier
maybe, but it is not intended to provide protection from rain. That is what
the roofing does.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

G Henslee March 26th 05 02:02 PM

Mike Mike wrote:
I am re-roofing and have covered the whole roof with 30# tar paper and
shingled one side of the house.
Yesterday we got a LOT of rain and I had 3-4 leaks on the side of the house
only covered in tar paper. 2 of them was pretty bad and left big spots on
the ceiling.
Should I worry about this and try and find where it was leaking or will the
shingles take care of the leaks when I get them up?

Regards
Mike

Mike Mike,

I would suspect it leaked primarily due to the fact it's just the paper
covering it. Could be the wind lifted it some, or even tore the paper,
etc. Check around roof jacks, valleys, etc. is the ridge covered?
Actually is the entire roof covered 100% completely? Basically just
look around up there for the obvious.

PaulJ March 26th 05 03:57 PM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:44:30 GMT, "Mike Mike"
wrote:

I am re-roofing and have covered the whole roof with 30# tar paper and
shingled one side of the house.
Yesterday we got a LOT of rain and I had 3-4 leaks on the side of the house
only covered in tar paper. 2 of them was pretty bad and left big spots on
the ceiling.
Should I worry about this and try and find where it was leaking or will the
shingles take care of the leaks when I get them up?

Regards
Mike

I'd fire the installer. It shouldn't leak at all.
He probably did a very poor job. Probably not enough nails and
washers.

But if there was a strong wind, that might explain the leaks.

"Felt shall be fastened down with enough nails or staples to hold it
down until the shingles can be applied. Aluminum caps may be used only
if aluminum nails are used. "