Ron

Default base board installation

I'll be replacing my carpet and would like to replace the baseboards. Should
I install the baseboards after the new carpet is installed (on top of the
new carpet), or should I pull back the old carpet and lay the baseboard
directly on the floor before the new carpet is installed?

I've heard arguments for both ways, but it makes more sense to me to install
the base boards before new carpet is laid.

thanks for your responses
ron

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ron" wrote in message

I've heard arguments for both ways, but it makes more sense to me to
install
the base boards before new carpet is laid.

That is the best way. Some day you may want to replace the carpet and not
remove the baseboard. A good installer will bring the carpet right to the
base for a perfect fit.

Mike

It is best to install the mouldings first,
This helps to seal any gaps between the floor and wall.
This will prevent larger bugs (bigger than ants) from
moving freely throuh the living space.

John/Charleston

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:49:51 GMT, "Ron" wrote:

I'll be replacing my carpet and would like to replace the baseboards. Should
I install the baseboards after the new carpet is installed (on top of the
new carpet), or should I pull back the old carpet and lay the baseboard
directly on the floor before the new carpet is installed?

I've heard arguments for both ways, but it makes more sense to me to install
the base boards before new carpet is laid.

thanks for your responses
ron

Standard practice is to install baseboards first and leave them spaced
off the subfloor 1/4 to1/2 inch depending on the thickness of the
carpet. This allows the carpet layer to tuck the edge of carpet under
the base. I almost always leave 3/8" which works for all but the
thinnest or thickest carpets.
As for bug infiltration, I once lived in a house on a shoddily laid
slab that had bugs getting in under the baseplate. When I had
carpets replaced I went around and put a healthy layer of boric acid
powder on the subfloor under the baseboards before the new carpet went
in. Seemed to work pretty well.
m Ransley

Ive seen both ways work but if you have oak underneath then to the
floor. You are painting or finishing it it is cleaner finishing it first
on the floor and doing minor touch ups later after carpet. I have seen
it slightly raised , just for subfloors or concrete and caulked for
bugs. Least messy and quickest painting is base, caulk and paint then
carpet.

Colbyt

"John/Charleston" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:49:51 GMT, "Ron" wrote:

I'll be replacing my carpet and would like to replace the baseboards.

Should
I install the baseboards after the new carpet is installed (on top of the
new carpet), or should I pull back the old carpet and lay the baseboard
directly on the floor before the new carpet is installed?

Standard practice is to install baseboards first and leave them spaced
off the subfloor 1/4 to1/2 inch depending on the thickness of the
carpet. This allows the carpet layer to tuck the edge of carpet under
the base. I almost always leave 3/8" which works for all but the
thinnest or thickest carpets.

This would be correct.

For energy conservation and bug control you may wish to caulk between the
bottom of the drywall and the floor BEFORE you install the base. Uses a lot
of caulk but it sure slows down the drafts.

If you ever take out the carpet standard shoe base will cover the gap.

Colbyt

Clark Griswold

"Ron" wrote in message
I'll be replacing my carpet and would like to replace the baseboards.
Should
I install the baseboards after the new carpet is installed (on top of the
new carpet), or should I pull back the old carpet and lay the baseboard
directly on the floor before the new carpet is installed?

I've heard arguments for both ways, but it makes more sense to me to
install
the base boards before new carpet is laid.

thanks for your responses
ron

One thing to keep in mind is if this is an old house with lathe and horse
hair plaster, you will be replacing much more than baseboards if you try to
remove them.