Fhiebert

Default Tips for info on maintaining oil furnace in garage

I have an old (and neglected) oil burnging furnace in my garage and
when it works it's great. The problem is it's not at all reliable. I
don't want to spend much money on repairing it so I thought I would do
some basic troubleshooting myself first. Can anyone point me to some
good reference material (preferrably on-line) for working on these
things?

Thanks,

John R McTaggart

Old may not cause any problems, but 'neglected' certainly will.

You are dealing with your life here. If you are untrained in how to do
repairs and maintenance on such things you are better off having a
professional look at it.

Things that can cause problems a

-Cracked heat exchanger. Carbon Monoxide kills. Have the equipt to check
for it?
-High limit not functioning
-Poor or no draft. Do you have the tools to check the draft?
-Efficency set up. Once again the correct tools.
-Temp rise across the heat exchanger. Can lead to problems
-Venting. Does it meet code.
-Oil supply. What shape is it in. Don't want to drop 500gal into the
enviroment.

There are usually specific codes in garages. Do you meet them?

So, I will go back and say. Have a pro look at it, and then ask him what
you can do to maintain it in good shape from there.

"Fhiebert" wrote in message
om...
I have an old (and neglected) oil burnging furnace in my garage and
when it works it's great. The problem is it's not at all reliable. I
don't want to spend much money on repairing it so I thought I would do
some basic troubleshooting myself first. Can anyone point me to some
good reference material (preferrably on-line) for working on these
things?

Thanks,

Furnace shopping tips Jerry Schwartz Home Repair 3 March 21st 05 12:55 AM
Old furnace to heat garage Martik Home Repair 16 December 23rd 04 02:32 PM
Help. Furnace improperly installed? Chuck Home Repair 11 November 2nd 04 02:26 AM
Furnace problems - repair, replace or ???? Paul Home Repair 11 March 24th 04 12:59 AM
Garage Tips Peter Corbett Metalworking 32 March 9th 04 10:40 AM